What color is this? It's not a trick, I promise!

guildguy516

TDPRI Member
Tele detectives and Fender gurus, can someone please identify this color?

I saw this a local music shop and loved the color so much I forwent my current build's finish to do this but I'm struggling to locate the correct color. Does anyone know what color this is?

It's 69-71 Tele that appears to be original (200,000s SN); body wear matches neck wear, nothing appears to be faked.

I swear to you this is the same guitar just taken in two different lights, moments apart.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18PP6t75esfyE8hM84F6GWx2gtpLjnE2Y/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18WSBCP-rM6E8VQL-syl-t_yuiPmq6Y45/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

kbold

Friend of Leo's
Looks grey to me. What colour do you see?

And, ... technically grey is a tone, not a colour.

Mike SS

Poster Extraordinaire
Another vote for ice blue metallic, or perhaps Mystic Seafoam. You can Google Fender guitar color chart and several options come up.

guildguy516

TDPRI Member
Looks grey to me. What colour do you see?

And, ... technically grey is a tone, not a colour.

Firstly, it has a metallic quality to it which makes it more of a silver.

Secondly, you should write to Fender and inform them about their color/tone mix up; they may like to be informed of this.

ladave

Tele-Holic
Clearly a white balance issue as you can see the pickguard is "yellow" in one photo and white in the other. I'm guessing the second photo is the accurate one which would make it Ice Blue Metallic.

If however the pickguard is actually not pure white and looks like in the first photo, then Inca Silver.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I'm thinking ice blue metallic too. Someone on this forum must have one to compare.

John E

Friend of Leo's
Hmmm, Looks like Lake Placid Blue to me. And those look like G&L ASAT saddles. Nice guitar!

guildguy516

TDPRI Member
Clearly a white balance issue as you can see the pickguard is "yellow" in one photo and white in the other. I'm guessing the second photo is the accurate one which would make it Ice Blue Metallic.

If however the pickguard is actually not pure white and looks like in the first photo, then Inca Silver.

Astute observation, I noticed this too after taking the photos. The picture with the white guard was taken closer to the windows; not direct sunlight but near the windows. The 'yellow' guard photo was taken further back in the shop with primarily the indoor lighting. I DID NOT alter these photos in any way.

The main reason I liked this color so much was because of how different it looked in different lights, this is not merely a camera trick.

guildguy516

TDPRI Member
IBM seems too blue to me, Agave on the other hand is much closer. I didn't even know Agave was an offered color. Do you think its a few light coats of Agave over a white basecoat?

The more Agave guitars I see the more I'm thinking you may have got it! It's a very visually versatile color.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
IBM seems too blue to me, Agave on the other hand is much closer. I didn't even know Agave was an offered color. Do you think its a few light coats of Agave over a white basecoat?

Sorry buddy, I'd just be guessing.

Viejo

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Possibly Blizzard Pearl Fender calls it a shade of white they look very silver in some light.
s-l300.jpg

John E

Friend of Leo's
Hmm, you might be right. That looks pretty close. I said Lake Placid but yeah I think IBM or Agave look both much closer. Agave seems like a pretty good call but it looks almost identical to IBM to me... lol. Did they have Agave in late 60's early 70's?

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
The more Agave guitars I see the more I'm thinking you may have got it! It's a very visually versatile color.

If the guitar is actually a 69-71 it's unlikely to be Agave as I don't believe that color was added into the line until after that. Maybe not until they started making guitars in Mexico. My experience is that the Ice Blue Metallic color is very inconsistent particularly in photos in different lighting. It also ages strangely, sometimes it gets a bit green and sickly looking, sometimes it just fades. My best guess is this is just a faded IBM. Sorry we can't be more help here.