What changes would you make if you were the Sports Czar for a day?

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Bowling pins under the goal post. You would have to be inside of the 20 yard line to roll the ball. But there would be a goalie with a bat who would stop or deflect the 9 pound ball. Score would be kept by the number of pins knocked down during the one hour time limit. Tripping, kicking and biting would be allowed. No high sticking, whatever that is.

Blackmore Fan

Friend of Leo's
NFL and NBA: UNLIMITED challenges to replay. If you win 5 challenges in a row, you're being reffed by *terrible* officials and should be allowed to continue to CORRECT their horrible calls...

*BUT*

Replay should be limited to "Clear and compelling errors" for an overturn. That means that IF you have to run the replay a DOZEN times in SUPER-SLOW-MOTION to find the "error", it wasn't really a "clear and compelling" error--it was a "reasonable" call given the limits of human capabilities. Run the replay once...maybe twice...if the "error" doesn't scream "Damn, that's wrong"....then the call on the field STANDS.

Blackmore Fan

Friend of Leo's
COLLEGE AND NFL: Quarterback kneeling is an automatic 2-second runoff, no more, no less. This would do away with a troubling trend I've noticed where the QB drops back, looks around for a second or two, and only when noticing a defensive push does the QB kneel. Somebody is going to get hurt when a DL charges into an OL because the QB is standing upright and making no effort to kneel. The offense is making no effort to advance the ball--why subject both the offense and defense to physical harm?

The QB can stand for 10 seconds for all I care, but if he kneels, the clock is reset to a 2-second runoff. That way we don't end up with a DL blowing out some OL's knee.

Want more than 2 seconds to runoff? Run a play!

Blackmore Fan

Friend of Leo's
COLLEGE AND NFL FOOTBALL: If the kicker on a kickoff kicks the ball out of bounds, the ball is placed at midfield. They're *kickers*....all they do is kick the ball. If they can't or won't kick the ball in-bounds, the penalty should be severe.

keithb7

Poster Extraordinaire
What happened to the Canadians in this thread.

NHL: Do something that helps the Canucks to win the Stanley Cup. Just one time. Please. We've never had the cup in BC.

Blackmore Fan

Friend of Leo's
Also, call traveling and double dribble. It’s ridiculous that certain players consistently take 5 steps without a bounce. Enforce the rule or eliminate the rule.

This times a THOUSAND. Its not really that hard to be "quick" while also dribbling correctly!

And for God's sake please call more "Moving Screen" fouls! Its really only right that if you're going to LEVEL another human being that you're not allowed to MOVE INTO your target as he's running!

Blackmore Fan

Friend of Leo's
NHL: Do away with "the puck must be the first into the zone" rule. We LOVE "the bomb" in football--a LONG pass to a streaking receiver. Do away with the rule that a player can't be "downfield" to receive that pass!

Blackmore Fan

Friend of Leo's
MLB: Do away with INTENTIONAL "nervous tics" that pitchers have developed over the last decade. You should NOT be able to lean back and forth and back and forth and back and forth before FINALLY moving into your delivery. That type of crap is INTENTIONALLY DECEIVING the hitter, which is the literal definition of a BALK.

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted
NHL: Do away with "the puck must be the first into the zone" rule. We LOVE "the bomb" in football--a LONG pass to a streaking receiver. Do away with the rule that a player can't be "downfield" to receive that pass!

No way. They already got rid of the two line pass rule. Offsides makes gaining the offensive zone an important part of the game. Without it you would basically just have a tennis match.

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted
What happened to the Canadians in this thread.

NHL: Do something that helps the Canucks to win the Stanley Cup. Just one time. Please. We've never had the cup in BC.

I'm watching the Canucks game now. These are lean times for them. Lots of potential, but no joy. The Cup does need a trip back to the Great White North. It would appease the hockey Gods.

Blackmore Fan

Friend of Leo's
I don't know if this was mentioned, but I'd make the Yankees move their fence back. Right field is only 314 feet. That's just too small for the MLB.

I've complained about that for 30 years! My American Legion team (high school age) had a park that was 360 to right, left, and center. Sure, the center was "short" by MLB standards, but there were ZERO cheap homeruns to right!

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
1) I'd remove synchronized everything from the Olympics.
2) Add Disc Golf to the Olympics.
3) Reduce the NBA season from the current 13 month season. That stuff is always on.
4) Make Golf more exciting by adding defense. Crews lobing balls on the players to get some faster decisions and play.
More brewing...

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
An update to my original post in this thread:

Eliminate the salary cap in MLS
Host future World Cups in countries that actually deserve it
Less college basketball and football on national TV, it's okay in small doses but it's way overdone
Completely eliminate hockey (sorry hockey fans, just never got into your sport)

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Afflicted
Adjustments to the game of golf. Lose the clubs, replace them with fishing rods. Each hole is now a fishing hole, stocked with different types of fish. Par determined by the sportiness of the fish.

Fish fry at the 19th hole.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Kona I ì
Send Russell Wilson back to wherever he came from.

Heard an interesting little nugget a few minutes ago. If Denver had scored 18 points in every game they played this year... they'd be 8 and 1.

With how teams score in the NFL nowadays, let that sink in. That defense going to waste, what a shame.

"Let Russ cook." lmao

And by the way, I put about 50% on Russ, and the other 50% on the incompetent head coach. That guy gots to go.