What changes would you make if you were the Sports Czar for a day?

NC E30

Tele-Meister
Apologies if it's already been covered, but I would adjust the salaries down to a reasonable level. Something in line with what other Americans of their education and experience level make. No reason for them to be mega rich just because they are good at a kid's game. There are plenty of people wanting their jobs, not like we would have any trouble filling them.

Guitarteach

Doctor of Teleocity
The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
Call baseball ‘rounders’ and restrict it to schoolgirls like the civilised world

Get rid of the babyish padded suits in football and call it ‘rugby’

Call soccer ‘football‘.. because you actually kick the ball with your feet.

Require cricket on the timetable in all schools

billy logan

Tele-Afflicted
re: The nets on goals.

Basketball? cylindrical (pretty much) net on the hoop.
Ice hockey, field hockey, lacrosse, soccer. Goal nets. Maybe water polo, too. didn't look up an image.

IF the inner-facing half of each cord of the mesh was bright white, AND the outside of each cord of the goal net was a duller color ...

THEN the hoop/goal would appear more 3-D than the current mediocre situation, which has been standard practice, for decades, prior to me becoming Sports Czar.

Yes. I maintain that basketball shooting accuracy would increase, especially on shots taken from the baseline where there's no visual background except the fans in the stands way, way behind the hoop.

If you want to substitute "were" for "was" in the "IF" "AND" parts of this post, or "football" for "soccer" ... well ... I'm not the boss of you :)

btw Guitarteach, Thanks for helping me out with my primitive computer question when the cookie-cache attacked my email :)

and- Go, Ecuador! Poor Qatar takes 40+ minutes in each half before they do anything beside lose the ball back to Ecuador.

edit2add. While I'm at it: Gridiron football. Have the sideline malingerers stand back further from the God-forsaken near sideline so as the main camera can show whether the runner stepped out of bounds.

and- Keep it going, Ecuador!

Last edited:

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
If I were the sports Czar for a day
I'd make home distilled "Clear" Moon Shine a tax free competitive sport.
Introduce Jumping Frog competitions into the Olympics
Make Horse shoes a combat sport .
A sport called shot the loser, if you lose an election you are taken out behind the barn and shot.

scrapyardblue

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Fire every Big Ten football official and appoint a special prosecutor to investigate any possible link between those referees and the University of Michigan and its boosters.

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted
Fire every Big Ten football official and appoint a special prosecutor to investigate any possible link between those referees and the University of Michigan and its boosters.

We were watching the game. When Illinois had the ball in their end with the lead near the end of the game I said to my wife, "here comes the ticky-tac holding call against Illinois". And bamn, it happened. Then when Michigan got the call back and it was third down I said to my wife, "their going to throw the ball because they know they will get a pass interference call go their way". And bamn, it happened. There is a reason Michigan is 42 and 1 at home in their last 43 games. It's called the refs. I've been watching Michigan football my whole life. They can't lose at home. Illinois never had a chance of winning that game. It is well known in the NCAA football world that Michigan is one of the worst for homer calls.

Disclaimer: I am a MSU Spartan.

scrapyardblue

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
We were watching the game. When Illinois had the ball in their end with the lead near the end of the game I said to my wife, "here comes the ticky-tac holding call against Illinois". And bamn, it happened. Then when Michigan got the call back and it was third down I said to my wife, "their going to throw the ball because they know they will get a pass interference call go their way". And bamn, it happened. There is a reason Michigan is 42 and 1 at home in their last 43 games. It's called the refs. I've been watching Michigan football my whole life. They can't lose at home. Illinois never had a chance of winning that game. It is well known in the NCAA football world that Michigan is one of the worst for homer calls.

Disclaimer: I am a MSU Spartan.
Don't forget the biggest play of the game in Michigan's final drive: the tight end sets an illegal pick, not called, allowing a second receiver to break free for a 1st down gain. It's the very definition of an illegal pick in the rule book. Coach Bielema will get fined for his displeasure.

You'll be happy to know there were more Michigan shenanigans reported in the tunnel. Not excusing Spartan behavior, but Michigan isn't anywhere near as pious as Jim Harbaugh constantly lets on.

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted
Don't forget the biggest play of the game in Michigan's final drive: the tight end sets an illegal pick, not called, allowing a second receiver to break free for a 1st down gain. It's the very definition of an illegal pick in the rule book. Coach Bielema will get fined for his displeasure.

You'll be happy to know there were more Michigan shenanigans reported in the tunnel. Not excusing Spartan behavior, but Michigan isn't anywhere near as pious as Jim Harbaugh constantly lets on.

I know MSU sports has had its share of embarrassing player behaviour, both on and off the field, court, and rink. Michigan has too. The funny thing about the local media is you hear over and over about what MSU did and they never talk about what U of M did. If they do, they always excuse it.

My solace every year is knowing that Michigan can't beat a highly ranked team, especially on the road. I think OSU is going to beat them pretty good this year. The Buckeyes are favored by 10 points as of now.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
havent read through the entire thread, so maybe already mentioned, but I would end sports betting.
NO SPORTS BETTING?
Without sports betting what would be the point of Sports with out betting.
Isn't that why sports exist?
No Betting,= No Sport
mongoose B.jpg

People bet heavily on the Calaveras Frog Jumping! And drink a lot of beer.Frogs legs are not served but Cray Fish are.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
NFL if the remote official wants to override a call on the field the possessing team should get the down and the time back. Example, a player makes a baller catch on the side line and the line judge signals “catch” and then the league overrides that and says incomplete, rewind the clock and the down as if the whole thing never happened.
That way you’re not penalizing any team for the whim of an Off-Field official.

Mindovermatter62

Tele-Meister
You really want to know? ok...NFL[no more Thursday night games..no more games in Europe.. move the Chargers out of L.A.- find a way to remove Dan Snyder]- MLB[no more interleague play except for Allstar game and World Series].

Teleskopic

TDPRI Member
Olympics: If it needs to be judged it’s an art not a sport and shouldn’t be included. Only measurables (fastest, longest, highest etc)

Oh and if you can do it in office shoes that’s not a sport either.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
1) NFL: 12 Games to the season.
2) NBA: Eliminate 30 regular Season Games.
Only the Championship Game would be 7 games.
3) MLB: Eliminate 30 Regular Season Games.

Well, that's my 2-cents worth.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
NFL
I’d make any “player safety” rules uniformly enforced. Don’t just enforce egregious hits against certain teams and let them slide if the team has a weaker record.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Yawn Tooth!

New Olympic event. Get your dog to yawn and wave your fingers through their gaping mouth without touching a tooth. Most fingers wins.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Soccer
If a player misses the “house sized” frame of the goal on a shot taken within the box the other team gets a point. Saves and pipes are part of the game.