1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What causes effects owners to lose their marbles? Reverb pricing of Chase Tone pedals dissected

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gmm52, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Should be a sticky at the top of literally every one of these threads.

2. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

if he genuinely hated it so much then he should have put all the design files up open source for free if he had no plans to meet demand. there are a number of companies who do that in the synth realm. easy way to effectively snub scalpers (DIY repros is a race to the bottom). the remaining customers who "want the real thing" would likely adequately match the limited supply. too much cake and eat it too. walk the walk or don't talk the talk.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  3. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

But it's not basic supply and demand. The supply is there. Anyone can go to Chase Tone and buy the pedals I cited. Someone else mentioned that perhaps some buy at inflated prices from Reverb to avoid wait time, but both of these pedals ships in two weeks according to the manufacturer. Who is dumb enough to pay double or triple for a used pedal to shave a theoretical two weeks shipping time?

4. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

I think this remains the most intriguing possible explanation :- )

5. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i run into this same thing, more or less, in books. i recently bought a fairly rare jimi hendrix instructional book, published back in the 80's by an obscure guitar teacher. i paid $8.95. somehow, i happened to look at it again on amazon and it was priced at $770! (and if anybody wants it, i'll sell you mine for $500. but the tabs in it aren't very accurate.)

also, i've been shopping for the Elvis Sun Sessions tab book for years, i finally caught one for $30, they are usually $120 and up. one i keep watching for but never see at a reasonable price is the tab book for Bat out of Hell. always above $100, but it does seem to be pretty rare, i don't see it very often.

gmm52 likes this.
  6. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

They = remember when they had to be on a waiting list and pay full retail I think.

That said - I wouldn't kick a Bliss out for eating crackers in bed :)

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you are willing to wait, why do you give a **** what people are asking? Or whether others are willing to pay (as some have noted, it doesn’t look like people have bought at those prices.)

Most seem to have sold for around new price.

Likely because people wanted them sooner than could be promised new.

Nothing complex or surprising here.

8. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

Hmmm... I could similarly ask why do you care what *this* guitar player and gear buyer wants to ask the TDPRI community? After all, this is a forum, and forums are supposed to be places where ideas and opinions are shared, sometimes just for the sake of sharing and thus communing with our fellow guitar aficionados.

If the new forum rules are don't post any question that could be construed as redundant (since the topic might have been discussed before) or where the answer might be obvious to the savvy folks, like you, well, then I guess we all might as well delete our accounts with the understanding that everything's been said and done and/or is obvious those who matter, like you (imagine some sarcastic emoji inserted here).

Of course it's surprising when dozens of sellers are asking double or triple MSRP for things that can still be bought new from the manufacturer. Not sure how long you've been buying gear but I'm working on four decades, and this may be normal to you, but it was never like this before. The trend over the last while for sellers to ask stupid money remains a peculiar one. It is a bona fide phenomenon, one which I am intrigued by and one which I wanted to hear opinion.

I appreciate all replies from folks that did not attempt to malign.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    colchar likes this.
  9. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Have your credit card company reverse the charges.

10. MilwMark

Well, then you should know there used to be a lot of downside to listing too high.

You had to pay for an ad to run. And any inquiries were by phone.

Now you only pay when you sell and can set an auto accept level, hooked by someone buys higher without research.

11. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

Your more nuanced reply here is perhaps appreciated, but yet you still unnecessarily add 'Well, then you should know...' Why do you feel the need to qualify your answer with a statement about what I should or should not know?

Look, either I didn't know or realize what you just expressed, or, I wanted to confirm what I might have known, or, I wanted to know if there were perhaps other reasons besides mental illness, because it remains abnormal to ask double or triple the MSRP for a pedal that's readily available, or any one of several other possible reasons why I put the question to the fine folks at TDPRI.

My new question to the forum is why those responding to questions sometimes feel the need try to disparage those posing questions as not being swift enough to already know what those responding purportedly already know.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  12. MilwMark

Because you mentioned you’ve been at this 4 decades?

Because my team is losing in the playoffs at home?

Because the answer is always (1) people can ask anything and (2) supply (instant availability) a d demand?

Because general crabbiness?

13. MilwMark

But you’re right. On reflection I’ve been snarky. Sorry.

14. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

I don’t think it’s a supply and demand thing. Maybe for some stuff, but I see the same thing with mass produced, buy it anywhere, anytime stuff. People selling used SD-1’s for $45. I can walk into any music store and buy one today for $50. Or order it online and have it in a day or two. I realize that’s not the same as charging 3X the original price, but it’s the same idea.

Why would I buy a used pedal when I can get the same one new for a few dollars more or in the OP’s scenario, a new one for way less?

Capgun

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Asking “who is dumb enough” is an inflammatory way to put it, but today’s consumer tends to be a little on the dumb side.

Buying everything on Amazon assuming they have the best prices?
    Assuming cheaper priced merch is a good deal without calculating the number of times you have to buy the same basic thing because they don’t last?
    Or guitar players spending more time shopping and reading gear reviews than practicing, when the goal is to play and sound better?
    How about putting sweet & low in the coffee to save calories for chocolate cake?

The answers go on and on!
    My actions included but I do try to cut my dumbness back to an acceptable minimum.

16. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

You wouldn't, and if no one does, the seller can keep his item or reduce the price. It is exactly a supply and demand thing, as it always is.

17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I don't believe it's been mentioned, but frequently "higher priced" postings on Ebay and Reverb are simply "shilling" for a slightly lower priced ad. They want potential buyers to feel a sense of urgency to "snap up" the lower priced item.....then the high priced one may disappear, or have the price lowered.
    I know that many of us here on TDPRI buy and sell (honestly) on these sites, but way too many sellers (and buyers) are simply CROOKS. And, frankly, when someone wants to give a definition of the "free market", this aspect should be included.
    Integrity?......that's a very limited commodity. :(

gmm52 likes this.
  18. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Yah, that's the thing right?

It takes sooo long for crap to come from china, that by the time it arrives, it's out of the purchase protection date.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.