What can you tell me about this tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tjbarnes, Aug 20, 2019.

1. tjbarnes

tjbarnes TDPRI Member

Hello guys. Had a trade offer come my way for a guitar listed as a Femder 52 reissue telecaster. The trade is valued at around $1250. The butterscotch 52 reissue telecaster is one of my dream guitars. The listing he sent me about the guitar has my mind telling me to steer clear but my heart is telling me to find out more. The guy says he bought it used. Please see attached pictures for description and pictures of tele in questions. Thanks guys! Any help is appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sarde

Sarde Tele-Meister

Unless the reissue 52 is different from the AVRI 52's, it should have the serial # on the back of the neck plate; which I don't see in the picture.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  3. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

That's a funny looking wear pattern on the neck isn't it?

paulblackford likes this.
  4. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

$1250ish for some kind of a partscaster?! hmmm.... the seller has allready given enough facts telling you to stay away... mismatched body and neck... missing serial # and modified. What more do you need?

nojazzhere and Skydog1010 like this.
  5. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Slim C?

6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

"A true working man's guitar."

Did he use it to dig holes?

Geo and Pechorin like this.
  7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

That is what caught my eye as well. There have been varying sizes of necks used on the 52 RI types, but I don't think a slim-C was ever used.

8. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Based on the chip I see on the lower back edge, it looks like that thick plastic stuff Fender uses on their bodies so... perhaps it's geniune Fender body but there's not enough info to go on here. The wear on the neck certainly doesn't match the body... poor relic job? 1250 seems very high to me without more info. Have to side with others here... I'd personally steer clear of it. You can get a nice used AVRI that's unquestionably legit for that kind of $... and probably in a lot better shape... hope this helps

9. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Meister

Yeah, that fretboard wear looks weird to me. Either a badly done relic job, or badly done Photoshop. I'd ask for some additional photos without such a 'studio' lit setting. Some iPhone snaps, especially of the fretboard. With mismatched parts, I'd say they're asking too much.

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

There's no reason, typically to part out an actual 52 reissue; doesn't make sense that neck date is not even close to body date. That alone should tell you it's a partscaster and the seller either is knowingly or unknowingly misrepresenting this guitar. He seems to want to hide behind the idea that he "bought it used" and therefore should not be required to verify his claims. That's problematic.

It might be a perfectly good guitar, but it's not likely it should be priced as an actual '52 reissue.

Next, the seller makes the statement: "The fretboard shows signs of a well loved and frequently played guitar."

Well loved - who knows? Frequently played, maybe, but as mentioned above, that wear pattern looks phony, phony, phony. I won't claim that I'm an expert, but that wear looks sanded in, not played in. I've seen plenty of fretboards, as almost all of us have, that were played in, years and years of play. They don't look anything like that "wear" pattern.

That being said, the specs on the neck profile might be right; the serial number should be stamped on the bridge plate, not the neck plate, at least according to this source:

1982 – 1997: U.S. Vintage Reissue ’52 Telecaster
    Model no. 010-1303-850
    4 digits stamped on the bridge plate

Fender started making the first 52 reissues in 1982 in the Fullerton plant. The Southern California guitarist Ted Greene helped Fender with the design by referencing his extensive collection of old Telecasters. They were Fenders first try on recreating a 1952 Telecaster and have some historical inaccuracies:

No 100% nitrocellulose finish
    A different headstock shape
    Wider 12th fret dot spacing
    Not 100% accurate body shape and radius
    Alnico 5 magnets pickups
    A Top Hat switch tip
    This version has a slim neck with a C profile and a 4 digits serial number stamped on the bridge plate.
    Source:
    https://areyouexperiment.wordpress.com/2017/05/20/fender-52-telecaster-reissue/

yeah, this is just an internet blog. I scouted for a fender.com source, but no luck.

At that price, the seller should furnish the serial number and allow for verifying serial number info from Fender, which can be done routinely.

based on the phony wear pattern alone, I'd say pass. Just my 2 cents, though.

11. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Actually that's wrong - all '52 Reissues have the serial number on the bridge plate, not the neck plate. There is a serial number on the bridge plate under the "Patent Pending" stamp.

Yes, the neck was a "slim C", also called a "slim shouldered C" - Fender used the same neck shape on all the AVRIs (52 Tele, 57 Strat and 62 Strat) there in the 1980s through the mid-1990s. For what it's worth it's Gilmour's favorite neck shape; his Custom Shop signature Strat has that shape digitally copied from a 1984 AVRI '57 Strat neck. As far as the neck shapes go Fender did make significant changes in mid-1998 - the '52 Tele got the thicker U-shaped neck, the '57 Strat got the slim V shape, and the '62 Strat got the vintage C shape.

That being said I think this one has too many red flags to be worth $1,250 - that kind of nasty wear/relicing on the neck, it appears to be a partscaster with an '89 neck and '94 body.

EDIT: Plus given the dates Fender may or may not be able to verify this one by serial number - their searchable database of serial numbers starts about mid-1993, and it kind of spotty for that 1993-1995 time period - plus the '52 Tele has an odd serial number for modern-era Fender in that it's just a number without any prefixes (until the final generation came out in August 2012 - then the '52 Tele gets a serial number that starts with a "V" followed by 2 digits for the year followed by 5 digits for the unique number - that is the serial number system used for all the August 2012 AV models and is still used on the American Original models).

whoanelly15 and teletimetx like this.
  12. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Looks like a 52 reissue to me. The serial number is on the bridge plate like it should be. Looks like the bridge pick up has flush poles.

I have an '88 and a '89 and they have slim necks compared to later ones. Those necks have a great feel. Never took mine apart other than the neck to see if the body has a date, wonder where?

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  13. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Cool! I learned something today!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.