What can you tell me about Birmingham, UK?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Manual Slim, Jul 6, 2019.

1. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Great - you'll love it! :cool:

Manual Slim likes this.
  2. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I lived in the U.K. for almost 3 years. The only time I had trouble with a Roundabout was in Birmingham.

3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Jeff Lynne "In California everyone thinks I'm posh. They say that's a nice accent where are you from?" :) They probably think he sounds like a Beatle.

4. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I was at Traffic's last hometown gig, at the Town Hall, in 1974. Steve Winwood played the best guitar solo I have ever witnessed, during a rendition of 'Uninspired'. A misnomer of epic proportions.

Another great venue.

Manual Slim likes this.
  5. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Royalbaby ... Great piece there ... Are you still in that marketing job with the Birmingham Chamber of Commerce :D

RoyalBaby likes this.
  6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

"...the 'hound broke down and left us all stranded in downtown Birmingham..."
    - Chuck Berry "Promised Land"

Torren61 likes this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's good to get real feedback on these places rather than rely on the stereotype.
    I visited Liverpool 3 years ago and no one stole my VCR player while I was there.
    I didn't have one with me at the time but you get the picture.:)

Some chicks did lift the wallet of a guy I was drinking beers with at my hotel but they were visiting from London and it was retrieved intact when we wised up to them and reported it to the manager who called the room they were booked in. Not very bright of them. The boob flash to distract ended up being free.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    41144 likes this.
  8. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

The folks in the UK cannot properly pronounce Bumminham.

9. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I was trying to think of a local food that wasn’t balti ( which is anglicised Pakistani/ Bangladeshi food) or huge pies: faggots and peas! As I gave up meat when I was sixteen I can’t really tell you much about them although you will see them on some pub menus. Oh and pork scratchings which are popular all over the U.K. but originate in the Black Country. To be enjoyed as a snack with a pint of beer ( again, I’m not exactly the connoisseur of these). You might stumble across somewhere selling Teddy Grays, this is a local company that makes cheap sweets ( candy) and are the originators of the herbal tablet ( which is a kind of fake medicine full of sugar and oddly addictive).

It’s a fairly good area for local beer. I’d recommend Bathams but there are a few.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It’s not often a subject comes up that I know much about! Even on this I’m a bit vague TBH...

VintageSG likes this.
  10. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

I don't think America is ready for mushy peas :)

RoyBGood, Bristlehound and RoyalBaby like this.
  11. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's

Ah, faggots with mushies, two slices of crusty white and a steaming mug of builders. Delicious!.

I suspect the term 'faggot' has different connotations elsewhere in the world though, and with the prevalence of American colloquialisms, may raise a smirk. They're a spiced offal meatball, oft served in a rich gravy.

You can buy them in many fish'n'chip shops in the Midlands ( both East & West ), where they'll be served in a tray with mushies, some chips, maybe a sprinkling of scraps, and a slice of bread. The bread has to be white. Wholesome, tasty, filling and inexpensive.

Scratchings come in two main varieties. Proper ones, like those shown above, and odd, puffed things. The proper ones require strong teeth, a hearty constitution, and a pint of beer to dilute the daily allowance of salt. Public houses love them, as the raging thirst they can generate means more sales.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    RoyBGood and RoyalBaby like this.
  12. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think @RoyalBaby has nailed most of it and the only things I can think he’s missed is the location of two great golf courses: The Belfry to the north of the city, home of many of the Ryder Cup battles between Europe and USA, and the Forest of Arden to the east, the venue for many European PGA tournaments.

:) Peter

41144 and RoyalBaby like this.
  13. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

The Hilltop and Pype Hayes (spelling?) golf courses are very nice!!

14. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

trouserpress ... No idea when you last played those but... Not anymore...
    Now then.. Bromsgrove Golf Club.... :)

15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

16. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

+8 for Balti Curry, altho I've only enjoyed here in the states made by folks who moved from Blumling-gumd.

Sorry you have to deal with one of Mahler's works. ;)

17. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister

That was no Roundabout, that was Spaghetti Junction! (Badoom, tish)

Actually you have reminded me that (at least back when I lived there), many of the roundabouts in the city centre were huge things called circuses (eg Holloway Circus). And half of the roads are Something Queensway (so if you're looking for a road, remember the 'Something' part not the Queensway part). And there's even Colmore Circus Queensway.

18. Toast

Toast Tele-Meister

Only choice left is a low carb chip butty.

19. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

We rocked up at Whightwick one morning having been drinking gin since breakfast time. My very posh friend stinking of booze, and dressed like a tramp accosted one of the twee National Trust women working there. She visibily recoiled in horror, looking round for security. He jabbed at a painting on the wall. `Excuse me, isn't that a Rossetti? 'the look on her face was priceless as Tim continued to expound the great delights of the pre Raphaelite artists.

20. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

My Birmingham pals say the Balties and curries have gone downhill rather, with a lot of the restaurants struggling to get the chefs and staff <MOD REDACTION>. Als o the offspring of the family businesses don't want to be in that business, they want other careers. I have to say the "standard indian" in London (not the top restaurants - the regular curry houses) has also declined based on my experience and I love a good curry.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.