What can you tell me about Birmingham, UK?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Manual Slim, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

I’ll be traveling there in January for a performance of Mahler’s 8th. What’s good?
    (Yes, I have googled as well.)

41144 and Torren61 like this.
  2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

There's some great industrial heritage and accompanying museums, other than that, the A38, the M42 and M6 make for easy routes out. Oh, 'Spaghetti Junction' ( Gravelly Hill ) -has- to be driven to be fully experienced. Iy used to be known as the Black Country, due to the amount of industry founded there during the Industrial Revolution. It was a home of armaments, canals and motorcycles. A hive of industry, not exactly noted for high brow culture then. There are some ruddy awful sites where the concrete perversions of the 1960s - 1970s were allowed to copulate, leading to swathes of stark buildings that are the visual equivalent of drinking cold, fresh orange juice straight after cleaning your teeth and sluicing with Listerine. Shopping centres that repel the senses.

Birmingham is the home of Balti, and there are some corkers to be had.

3. Manual Slim

Local delicacies are always welcome!

4. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

The acoustics of the Symphony Hall are fantastic. The weather will be cold, the people helpful, the food spicy. You'll have a great time. :)

41144 and Manual Slim like this.
  5. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Lovely place. Home of heavy metal. Been there many times on canal boat holidays. Don't be put off by the regional accent that makes everyone sound retarded. The Mailbox is a pleasant waterside location with plenty of pubs and restaurants although a bit corporate. Once spent an interesting afternoon at the Black Country Livimg Museum about 10 miles away in Dudley. Watched a man making nails there. Be sure to grab a curry.

rze99 and Manual Slim like this.
  6. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I left there as soon as I was old enough! I'm told it's changed a lot... but nothing would entice me back.

I remember it built around the 'Soviet Brutalist' style popular in the fifties and sixties.

However; travel an hour out of B'rum and there're wonders to be had.

Antmax, Mr Scallywag and Manual Slim like this.
  7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

The symphony hall is nice. There is major redevelopment in the city centre but the Art Gallery has a good pre-Raphaelite collection. There is a GuitarGuitar store too.

The short train ride to the RAF Museum at Cosford is def. worth it. One of the best aircraft collections in the UK.

Excellent array of curry houses. Must try a couple at least in the ‘Balti Triangle.’

Black Country Museum nearby has been mentioned and Ironbridge is a key birthplace of the industrial revolution. Loads of history but January maybe not best time.

It’s quick on train to London or Bristol too.

The historical drama series Peaky Blinders is set there

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    41144 and Manual Slim like this.
  8. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

They’re jealous of Alabama. USA! USA! USA! U.. *cough, sputter, gag* SA! USA!

boredguy6060 and Fretting out like this.
  9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

RoyalBaby, Torren61 and Manual Slim like this.
  10. Manual Slim

Jealous of USA?

Oh gosh. I hope not.

11. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I understand but.. it's changed beyond recognition.
    I remember how it used to be too.
    I have friends that moved from London to Birmingham and I've had have had some lovely times out with them in their city that they have come to love.

Really friendly people there IME.

Manual Slim and 41144 like this.
  12. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Birmingham did have a very negative image, which it has struggled to shake off ... I've lived here for 40 odd years and ... Love it and the way it constantly evolves. Long gone is the facade of concrete and "motor city" mentality. But some of the locals accents can be annoying ;)

Birmingham can be pain a in the neck to drive into and around, whilst we are well served by motorways they are usually congested in anything vaguely rush hourish! So I really would recommend Trains into/ out of and the Metro/Tram within whenever possible.
    A lot of this is to do with, at the moment, Brum being one big building site as it's undergoing a lot of redevelopment ... Saying that, the so far completed bits are impressive!.

Some of the Broad St work will be completed by next Jan so, hopefully Symphony Hall will be even more attractive and accessible from the outside.
    Inside Symphony Hall is simply sublime as a performance space.

Other things to do ... Depends where your interests lie but ... Black Country museum should figure, City museum and art gallery is worth a visit esp. if you're a pre-Raphelite fan.
    Nearby is Stratford upon Avon for the RSC. ... What might you fancy?

But ... Definitely visit the Jewellery Quarter .. it has it's own museum ... Notice this is on Vyse St ... So after seeing it ...having a coffee there or in one of the nearby cafes ... You gotta go down the road to .... The Little Guitar Shop ... All the staff there are great, none more so than Martin the owner.

Have fun ...

Btw. Tom Hanks and Prince William (if they're recommendations) are Villa fans .... Wrong time of year to see the Bears in action.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    RoyalBaby and Manual Slim like this.
  13. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

One of the largest aircraft production plants in Britain was built just before WWII at Castle Bromwich and was created as a hidden plant the Germans didn't know about. The Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I at Cosford is the oldest extant Spitfire. It served in the Battle of Britain before being extensively damaged. It was repaired and send to Operational Training Unit 57 at RAF Hawarden in Wales and was on that station while my uncle, Sgt. Pilot Henry Archer "Harry" Womack, trained there. It isn't listed in his flight log but it was on the flight line and being used, and thus would have been one of only a handful of Spits there. That means my uncle walked by it and lusted after it. Harry ran across the border to Canada from the U.S. during the neutrality period right after the start of the war and joined the Royal Canadian Air Force. He was trained as a fighter pilot there and was posted to the U.K. for transition into Spirfires during the Blitz. At the end of training he applied to be posted to the Eagle Squadrons but was killed in a low altitude aerobatic training flight before he could be.

One of these days I want to swing by Cosford and see that Spit.

Bob

14. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

15. Manual Slim

I fancy a wide variety of things. I’m just here to see what people say.

16. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I wouldn’t let any of these Regional “accents” put you off as we ALL have one ;)

Didn’t even know about it till I was told

17. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Me too - best description of the old Bullring Shopping Centre (now replaced) that I have ever heard

But Curry.............

18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

If you like things with two wheels, the National Motorcycle Museum is near Coventry (interesting history there too) and if you like cars, the National Motor Museum is toward Warwick - also near Shakespeare’s Stratford Upon Avon.

richiek65 likes this.
  19. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

I hear you!

I moved to Australia and it's still too close.

20. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

Their BBQ probably falls short...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.