What Can I Expect From New Squier

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by skydog6653, Feb 18, 2020.

1. skydog6653

skydog6653 Tele-Meister

525C0354-40F3-4252-B3AA-41B2C4171009.png I was browsing the MF site today and stumbled across one of these LPB Bullets. I'm certainly not expecting a FCS Master Built for a buck and a quarter. I plan on leaving everything in place, but what kind of setup work can I expect to do? Fret ends, fret level, fine tune the relief and action?

Attached Files:

Switchy likes this.
  2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know about the tele, but I played a friend's bullet strat to me a few years ago. Seemed like a pretty sound guitar to me.

3. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Bullets are bargain basement Squiers, and it shows.

The lowest I'd go (and did, with a Strat) is an Affinity

4. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Meister

In my experience with Bullet Strats, they are immense values for their cost.

Expect ceramic pickups that are usable, a top-loading bridge that is just fine as is, tuners that may be your first upgrade
    (but will work ok), and relatively inexpensive electronics that will work ok and can be easily upgraded.

Expect to have to dress the fretboard edges to get rid of sharp fret ends. A DIY job. Get nail buffers from the drug store cosmetics section.

If you like the color, and have the bucks, grab it.

jude77, Chuckster, jrblue and 3 others like this.
  5. Pontiaddict

Pontiaddict TDPRI Member

Decent review here, although he misses one model, the Squier Standard tele, otherwise a good breakdown on each model and their Pro v. Con:

edit: “Fret ends, fret level, fine tune the relief and action?”
    Yes, No, Yes and, also expect to set intonation yourself.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    skydog6653 likes this.
  6. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

+1 to this... except, the strings are through-body, not top loading on the bullet. I bought the surf green one and did the following inexpensive things. I planned for this to just be a guitar to see if my kids really want to learn to play. Turns out I really enjoy playing this guitar.

Dressed the fret ends myself with cheap nail file (the kind with several sides with different gradients of texture) - $2
    Bought '64 Pure Vintage pickups on sale at MF - $70-ish
    New pots, cap, CRL switch, cloth wire, and chrome knobs - $45-ish
    Tru-oil to darken the wood a bit and give it a polished/finished feel (much better than the basically "nothing" finish on the maple parts of the neck) - $9
    Careful sanding and a 0000 steel wool to aid in finishing the neck - $5
    Used my existing nut files to slightly widen the G string slot and lower it a tad, add nut sauce - $0
    I bought a new Squier bridge purely for the asesthetics of it. There is a version that looks just like an american standard bridge with the matte/satin finished block saddles and black intonation screws and springs - $12

So total probably around and extra $150 put into it.

I should note the fret ends were not at all "bad", I just knew I could make them really smooth with a bit of effort. The frets were perfectly leveled though to my suprise. I didn't have to even mess with leveling.

I still have in my mind to put a new nut on there - the stock one is working OK for now but I think tuning stability would be improved with a new nut. AFTER a new nut, I'll decide if the tuners need to be swapped. They are a bit cheap feeling, but they're working pretty well for a $120 guitar, and if I upgrade them it will be the last thing I probably do to this guitar.

upload_2020-2-18_15-5-52.png
    upload_2020-2-18_15-12-8.png upload_2020-2-18_15-12-23.png

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Truth? Junk pickups and hardware that'll all have to be replaced if you want a reliable, decent sounding instrument. The body and neck may be good though.

NewKid, hemmings, Biffasmum and 2 others like this.
  8. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

The 2004-2006 Bullet Stratocasters were pretty good. Use the neck, sell the rest on eBay. Considering what they cost, it's a workable plan.

The Classic Vibes are your best bang for your buck.

Keep on Truckin and Dan German like this.
  9. Pontiaddict

Pontiaddict TDPRI Member

Nice job! both on the guitar and the pictures! Well done.

logans_tele likes this.
  10. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

I'll take a $119.00 dollar Squier over a $1190.00 Gibson. Serious.

11. skydog6653

skydog6653 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the thoughts. This isn't my only guitar, and it won't be gigged. That said, I have no intention on ‘gilding the lily’ with this. I want to make it the best it can be with what momma gave it! A little elbow grease and see what she'll do.

12. skydog6653

skydog6653 Tele-Meister

I won't!

13. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

Elbow grease doesn't fix help hardware and electronics.

For $119 you should expect a $119 guitar, no more or less.

fenderchamp likes this.
  14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

My first decent electric was a Squier Bullet, it looked just like this one
    [​IMG]

That guitar was awesome and I wish I'd held onto it

awasson and Switchy like this.
  15. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

At regular price, I would say step up to the CV. At that price, I'd give it a try. I picked up a used Bullet Strat, and it's worth what I paid. Unless the Affinitys have gotten better since last I tried one, I don't see that there's much difference. I agree with others that a few mods wouldn't go amiss. I hate cheap bridges, and they're not much money to upgrade. The tuners on mine aren't fantastic, but I don't feel any real urge to replace them. I did a pickup swap, but the stock one wasn't terrible, I just bought it as a mod platform.

16. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Oh, those Bullets!

I had a bright red Fender bullet, made in the U.S.A. pre- Squier.

Hocked it.

:oops:

The MIJ Bullets have better necks.

17. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I have that Bullet, bought at that price about two months ago.

It's a string-through body, not a top-loader.

The nut is wider than on the Affinity, which is one reason I chose the Bullet instead. I don't have my calipers handy, but IIRC, it's not quite as wide as a Standard but the string spacing is definitely wider and more comfortable than the Affinity. The neck is perhaps slightly too narrow for the string spacing; the first few weeks, I accidentally rolled the first string off the bottom of the fingerboard or muted it unintentionally with the base of my pinkie many times. That stopped being a problem once I got used to it. The neck is smooth and satiny, but it's very thin front-to-back. If you like a chunky neck, this may trip you up.

The neck pickup cavity is sized to accommodate a humbucker, which was the other reason I opted for the Bullet over the Affinity - I wanted something I could drop a mini-humbucker into at the neck.

The body is a quarter-inch thinner than a standard Tele. Nice and light for hanging around your neck.

The biggest issue on mine (and I'm sure they vary a lot in QC) was that the frets were rough. Like 600-grit sandpaper rough. I didn't have any high or uneven frets or any noticeable sprout, but the whole neck needed thorough smoothing and polishing. The fingerboard was also extremely dry, but a dab of linseed oil fixed that.

The tuners are OK. Not great, but I've played more expensive guitars with worse machine heads.

I replaced the control strip - not because I didn't like the one it came with but because I'd already added a switch (for coil-splitting the minihum) to another unit I already had. The stock knobs felt "softer" than I like, but I could have lived with them for a while.

Since replacing the neck pickup and polishing the frets, I couldn't be happier with this instrument. It sits in my office, where it gets played multiple times every day even though I have much more expensive guitars in the next room. I consider it $120 well spent.

Edit: Just for reference, even with modifications, I still have only about $200 in this guitar. The mini-humbucker and pickguard came from GuitarFetish (~$35 + $18), the control strip came from eBay ($12), and the switch from the parts box ($1).

IMG_20191210_090618694.jpg

Plustop, old soul, gimmeatele and 5 others like this.
  18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Beyond the typical new strings and setup, it may need some degree of fret edge smoothing since environmental changes can lead to fret sprout. Fret level? Maybe. I've found this to vary. Nut slots? Once again, maybe. The neck finish is pretty raw feeling, not the sticky gloss you might have seen on other cheap guitars. You may want to use the Tru-oil method @logans_tele mentioned.

The new Bullets represent Fender upping their game to compete with the likes of Glarry, Firefly and other very low end brands. They still have some work to do on the Strat models (namely the trapezoid tuners, lightweight trem on trem models) but the Teles (and the Mustang) are a lot more solid.

skydog6653 and logans_tele like this.
  19. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

he will maintain your horse and armor.

rangercaster and Pontiaddict like this.
  20. Pontiaddict

Pontiaddict TDPRI Member

8DEC649E-4B18-4C0F-8D30-B053812FF737.gif
    :lol:Some might even go that extra mile:lol:

Bruxist likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.