What cabinet for Super Champ X2?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Teleman60, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Teleman60

Teleman60 TDPRI Member

I really love the Super Champ X2. I have the combo version and it sounds very similar to a Princeton Reverb IMO. I tried a couple Marshall cabs (112 and 2x12) with it and it just sounded OK. I think I prefer just the combo cab and speaker. I was wondering if there is a cabinet that really brings out this amp. I was looking at cabs and I found the DV Mark DV Neoclassic 412 cabinet that I bet this would sound great out of.

What cab are you using with Super Champ XD or X2 if any?

2. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

Interested in this thread. Did you compare with the Princeton side by side?

3. Teleman60

Teleman60 TDPRI Member

Yes. I came to the conclusion if you really want that vintage sound the '65 Princeton Reverb is probably the better option. However, I really liked how the Super Champ X2 sounded more modern and just had that sound in my head at the time. I would like to take it from sounding like a Princeton to more a 'Deluxe Reverb. I usually use channel 1 on Super Champ but more recently started using voice 7 (Deluxe Reverb) with the gain low, volume high, and bass high and it sounds good on clean and great with a pedal in front. I didn't think the Super Champ X2 would sound good with pedals but I have a DOD 250 (grey) and it sounds phenomenal.

Back to cabs. I think a Mesa Boogie 1x12 cabinet should sound better than my Marshall MX112 but I'm wondering if the sound I personally like is coming from the 1x10 Fender Super Champ X2 cab. I never messed with my Super Champ X2 and cabs before today and you have to unplug the speaker on the combo which I didn't think you had to do (I thought you could use the speaker in the Champ and cab at the same time). I would also love to hear how the Super Champ X2 sounds through a 4x12 like I mentioned.

I have owned this amp for awhile now and just now kind of running it through its paces. I'm still considering getting a Princeton Reverb but want to try some options before because I find it a little more versatile amp.

tidalcast and jgmouton like this.
  4. Teleman60

Teleman60 TDPRI Member

I compared the stock speaker again with the MX112. I made sure to make everything flat (eq, gain, volume) using channel 1 on the Super Champ. My conclusions this time is that the clean sound was perfectly fine with stock speaker but the distortion sounded a little fizzy. When I tried the Marshall cabinet the distortion from my DOD 250 was better not great. I'm biased because I have a Peavey 6505 MH that I usually use with my MX112 and it sounds killer. A Mesa Boogie cabinet wouldn't be cheap but it would be nice to try the Super Champ with one. Overall I have mixed feelings. I think if you are patient and do what I said in my other post with dialing in the voices the stock Super Champ X2 is fine as is.

Has this amp lost it's popularity? I really want to hear from people who have tried with different cabs.

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I sometimes run my SCX2 combo through a reproduction Fender Tremolux 2 x 10 cab loaded with a Weber Blue Pup and 10A125. As-is, it’s got a really big, punchy, rock tone. Given that an SCX2 is a Princeton circuit once you get past the SS preamp, it has almost too much low end. Like a Princeton, as you increase volume you need to decrease bass.

I plan to make or buy a 3-piece back for it so I can run it as a 1/3 open back cab. I thick that will get the more open, balanced sound I want. The combination of those 2 Webers is great, too.

6. Teleman60

Teleman60 TDPRI Member

How much does that cab weight?

7. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I used to gig with the X2. I had an Eminence Ragin Cajun in it. I use my Analogman Prince of tone >Fulltone OCD 1.4 for drive and it sounds killer. That speaker was made for it. I now use the stock speaker but still sounds great.

8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

i have no idea. Maybe 30-35 pounds, which is just a guess.

9. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

I picked up a 1x12 Zilla Cab that also happened to come with a baffle for a 10 and 12 together, so got another stock champ speaker and a 16 ohm jensen, wired the 10 in series along with the combo speaker then dropped the Jensen across it - opened the whole thing up nicely - very full
    IMG_0504.JPG

puddin and jimash like this.
  10. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Have the head. Usage:
    1. Ragin' Cajun in pine DIY cab (very warm but powerful)
    2. old (blue) Fender Special Design 12" in cab from an older Performer 650. Not so powerful, but bigger oomph from 12"
    3. through Greenback 12" (in Marshall amp)

2018-02-27 14.41.0111.jpg

Honest Charley likes this.
  11. 69ChevyP/U

69ChevyP/U TDPRI Member

Stoked about this compact 2x10 Avatar cabinet. I will be using it with A PR and a Champ II. Lighter and smaller than a 2x12, bigger sounding than a 1x12.

Attached Files:

12. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I've had a Super Champ x2 for years and it has been a great amp. I bought a 1 x 12 combo cab from a guy on ebay and put an Eminence legend in it and that really opened up the amp.

13. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Indeed, a great, versatile amp, connected to a proper cab will get a great sound for you.
    Initially I used it with a 12" speaker from another SS Fender amp, open back. Sold that amp, but the idea persisted, and had the chance to get that 12" Performer cab which really does a great good things to the amp...
    Here my previous setup... (this might go for any other amp...)
    2012-11-30 19.00.59.jpg

14. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

I have a SCXD which I've kept original for that 10" speaker vibe, but I bought a SCX2 and put it in a custom cab with an Eminence GA SC64 12". Makes for nice 12" resonance.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.