What brand pre amp tubes in early 60s fenders

toomuchfun

Tele-Afflicted
To the OP.

You never revealed why it's important to you to know/have tubes that were originally in your Princeton from the factory. Many of the other components have "drifted" over the years in their values and changed the sound from original.

Is this a history lesson or part of a master plan? I'm curious.

PooTwang

Tele-Meister
To the OP.

You never revealed why it's important to you to know/have tubes that were originally in your Princeton from the factory. Many of the other components have "drifted" over the years in their values and changed the sound from original.

Is this a history lesson or part of a master plan? I'm curious.
Restorations in progress, I have been collecting for a few years now.

toomuchfun

Tele-Afflicted
Restorations in progress, I have been collecting for a few years now.

Thanks, I too am a fan of the simple circuits of the '50's and '60's.

toms_amps.jpg

Last edited:

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
Does that one Sylvania tube with red lettering really have the code "be ASW"? My initials are ASW. I'm following its instructions.

The Ballzz

Friend of Leo's
There are no absolutes when it came to Fender. I'm sure they used whatever tubes were available to meet production quotas.

I think you may have left out two words to make that last sentence more accurately read: "I'm sure they used whatever tubes were available to 'MOST CHEAPLY' meet production quotas." :p

Thanks, I too am a fan of the simple circuits of the '50's and '60's.

View attachment 824070

You sir, obviously have a serious illness! Is there any way that we might get together, so that I may contract said disease? :D Or maybe even help relieve you of some of your "symptoms?" ;)

Thanks Folks!
Gene

ocduff

Tele-Meister
Old thread but want to respond as I find this interesting to know what was in amps originally. I don’t know what was in the brown Princeton but my ‘61 brown super which was very original had Amperex GZ34, Tung Sol 5881, and 6 Amperex Bugle Boy 7025.

My ‘65 Deluxe Non-Reverb had and Amperex GZ34, RCA grey plate red letter 6V6GT, a GE 12at7 date ‘65, a grey play red letter 12ax7a RCA, and V1 and V2 were RCA grey plate red letter 7025.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I've seen a ton of different tubes in Fender amps back in the day. Sylvania, RCA, Tung Sol were popular. Tung Sol more in power tubes.

Intubator

Tele-Holic
Bawlmer, Merlin- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
I scored a bone stock 1965 vibro champ earlier this year. The amp seemed to have very little use and I couldn't find any evidence of anyone being inside of it or even turning screws on it in the past. So no guarantees but there's a good chance the glass came from the factory. Here's what was in it. The mhos tests were on a hickok 533a.

If anyone is interested in checking out some detailed pics of the guts and the work to make sure she keeps safely playing for the next 55 years, you can look here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=110610557267620&set=a.226873338974674

View attachment 823086

Just took a look at your work on FB, very nice! Last year I re-stuffed and preserved some cap cases and covers for the same reason. I actually reused the metal cases as well with success, here's one of the links to the thread.
(Actually, now I can't find any of my threads from 2/2019 onward.....) :confused:

trapland

TDPRI Member
RCA on the tweeds, whites and browns. Still RCAs on BF but some Sylvania and GE. At least thats what I've found on dozens of the most straight examples. Having trouble editing. Sorry this post is incomplete.

mallards in preampz as replacements.

find

Often

Last edited:

zeke54

Tele-Afflicted
Recently got my blond Bassman out for service , been in storage since 1981 . It had Sylvania 6L6s and RCA 7025s .

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
What-ever they were, a few years later they were anything goes. Sort of like asking what oil filter was on the '69 Camaro.

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
I've only ever seen RCA and GE in older Fenders, but I haven't seen many.

The schematics and layouts often specify 7025, which is RCA by definition, isn't it? Unlike the low-noise AT7 equivalent, the 6021, which was made by multiple companies (four at least: RCA, GE, Sylvania, and Westinghouse).

Last edited:

MuddyWolf

Tele-Holic
All the tube companies in those days rebranded tubes from their competitors if they ran out of stock. So you could have rca brand on a ge tube. So the op question is actually irrelevant.

slider313

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I had an early '63 brown Deluxe here for service a few months back. Nothing had been done to it and it had the original tubes.

Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34, smoked glass Sylvania 6V6GT's, V1 Amperex Bugle Boy 7025, V2 & V3 Tung Sol 12ax7

Thumper

TDPRI Member
Anyone know what may have came in 1962 brown Princeton’s ? Power and Rectifier tubes were Sylvania but I was trying to figure what 7025 and 12ax7 may have come from the factory. My old guitar buddy thinks they may have been GE labeled CBS . Thanks
Any thing decent Leo could get for the right price would be my guess