What brand of potentiometer is this?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by radiocaster, Dec 13, 2019.

1. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Bought in bulk from Stewart McDonald, early 90s perhaps.

pot1.JPG pot2.JPG

Is the 88 the manufacturing date? Switchcraft perhaps?

Greggorios and crazydave911 like this.
  2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I can't answer your question but I purchased some new Pots from Mouser the other day that feel like they weigh nothing... not used to that for a full size pot.

3. radiocaster

Mouser pots were never any good. I took some out of a 90s Sovtek amp which actually had them stock. I've had better experiences with Soviet pots.

O.k., I take that back. The Mouser pots were on a par with new Alpha and Bourns, which isn't saying much.

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

No idea but the mounting bushing is metric... it's what is isn't .. it isn't CTS. ALPS. or any other commonly found in better guitars..

r

5. radiocaster

I think it was a good quality common pot in the 80s/90s, probably made in the USA. I looked in an old catalog and it didn't seem to have the brand listed.

6. Ronkirn

I dunno 'bout that... with that mounting bushing.. tust about every pot on US soil in the 80;s was ⅜'s inch , that one is one of those small import sizes...

r

Greggorios likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

it's 88K resistance right?

8. radiocaster

500K ohms. Top row, and there's even a Greek omega if you look.

9. radiocaster

How do you gather? It's a full size pot and it won't fit smaller holes.

10. Ronkirn

I've handled enough pots I'm my 50 years that I can recognize when the mounting shaft is less than the vintage normal ⅜ inch which would translate to about 10mm.

I could be wrong.. Some close-up lenses can distort proportions in ECU shots.. but the nut looks to be about 10mm ... not the more common ½ inch

but relax.. the pot will be fine as long as it's the right value for the application.. all a pot is, is a mechanism to facilitate a contact to slide along a carbon element, resulting in a varying value depending on it's location on that carbon film.

despite the hoopla about exotic pots, there does not exist "tone carbon" .. the primary difference in quality pots and "less than"... is durability. Other than that it's all a big "Yawn".

r

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Greggorios likes this.
  11. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

This has all been interesting, but it's time to either use it or get off the pot. How will you purpose it?

12. radiocaster

Measured it, seems 9/32" or 7.5 cm inside the hole of the nut, didn't measure the outside of the nut...

WEeird.

13. radiocaster

Why? I've already used most of them years ago. Care to give me a free guitar or just ramblin'?

Or do you want to finish my projects that have already taken many years? For free of course.

14. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, that was sarcasm. Just curious as to whether you were planning to use it or not.

radiocaster likes this.
  15. Ronkirn

really.. a pot is an insignificant factor in the overall "voice" chain... just use it,.. it's just not worth concern.

r

16. radiocaster

I may want more of them.

17. Ronkirn

other than for purely pedantic reasons, there's no need to have "matching" pots in a guitar.. just get what's available.. make life less complicated...

artdecade likes this.
  18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Well... it can be significant.
    Tolerance range is 20% for most pots.
    250k is 50% of 500k and people swap those for tone single coil vs humbucker.

For two identical measured kohm pots, then no change.

Cheap import tiny pots wear out faster than the full size domestics. For $20 you can have the same parts in a starter guitar as a fancy custom shop model. So I swap pots and caps, and often leave stock pickups. Careful selection can push a guitar tone around as much as pickups and lumber.

radiocaster likes this.
  19. Ronkirn

this is an issue that always gets me... what difference does it matter... most play them wide open, so there is practically zero value at that position. Others simply turn them to where ever it sounds like they want it to sound... No one I've ever watched has a vernier dial so the can stop, set it to the exact value they want then proceed.. ya reach down with a finger, turn it one way or the other and dig in... what difference is it if it pointing exactly at 5 as an example or 20% higher or lower than dead on the 5. It's set to where ya like the sound ya hear..?

If the pot is supposed to be a 250K and it reads as 20% off or 200K or 300K that's the extreme rotation, where it would result in the most bass sound.. it's rare to see/hear any guitarist playing it set like that...

and that precision bunk is just another meaningless marketing ploy to sell ya something that's pretty much useless.. Ya want your pots close to the posted value, sure, but the typical variance between 'em is pretty much meaningless..

Most of our pots are simply a carbon film silkscreened onto a phenolic substrate with a contact at both ends and a movable one so you can vary the resistance of the carbon.. better pots have thicker carbon films for more durability and redundant contacts, so if one gets funky ya never know.. The sound difference between cheep pots and the better ones is negligible if detectable at all.. however the durability between the two is significant..

r

tlsmack likes this.
  20. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've seen those pots, probably even have 1 or 2 out here. Aluminum body and the little tab that sticks out to ground to the chassis or what you are mounting it in. I remember having to break that tab off. But I have no idea who makes them. From an import guitar I think.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.