What brand of guitar strings are made in...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Now, with respect to the Fender strings ( i have used their 250's on my Tele, and liked them mucho),

if made by D'Addario, are they made to a ' Fender spec' of sort, or are they just repackaged D'Addario XL 110's ?
    ( their regular nickel roundwound 10's set)

Just a curiosity- for some reason I felt the Fenders had just a little more brightness/ twang on my Tele, than the D'Addarios ( which I do use on my electrics) - and even a bit more 'give'
    * probably all in my head

2. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

There's one
    https://www.lundinmining.com/operations/eagle/
    and 4 in Canada as well nickel is easy to recycle.

TomK likes this.
  3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

No, I agree with you. The Fender strings have less tension than either Daddario or EB, and so play and bend easier, and they have more "twang" than Daddarios, but a little less than EBs, to my ears. Daddarios still sound the brightest, but not necessarily the twangiest, of all to my ears. My Am Performer Strat (my avatar) loves the Fender 250s, but I like EB SS's on my other guitars.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  4. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

That's not what they mean. Their raw materials are drawn core wires and wrap wires. That's what's made in USA. Where the components of the wire is mined is irrelevant to what's considered made in USA.

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I've never used the Fender 250's on my Strat ( but I may!)

My Tele ( a 2004 MIM Standard).is like me, an all-purpose player, great for a variety of music, but it is heavy ( also like me!) and its pickups are what I'd call warmer, less twang and slice than Vintage style.
    Just bringing this up as for years I played this guitar in a Classic Country band and it sounded fine with the D'Addario or EB 10's.
    But somewhere along the line I bought 2 sets of Fender 250's for kicks as they were on sale.
    I put them on my Tele and a few songs into the first set of my next Country gig, I noticed that bending was easier and the guitar just seemed to have a twang to it - or something that seemed different.

You can tell when there is even a little tweak when you are around the same stuff all the time

DougM likes this.
  6. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The letter (email) from Mapes suggests that NO material used in their strings comes from the land of China, read into that what you will. On their website it is mentioned that they also make the machinery to make strings for most stringed instruments... I will send my money to Mapes.

7. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Your Martin was made in China? I doubt it.

But your computer, your phone, and most other electronics in your home were made in China so I guess you'll be selling them too?

Dave W likes this.
  8. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

You're the one reading something into it that's not there. There's no way Mapes or any other string maker know what mines in what countries the elements of the steel or bronze come from, nor do they know where all the many elements of the materials used in the cast iron for their machinery come from. The FTC has a Made In USA standard. It means the product has to be manufactured here, not just assembled here. It doesn't mean that all the minerals were mined here. They aren't.

9. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

I'll bet they don't stretch very well!

10. r1962j

r1962j Tele-Meister

I see nobody has mentioned SIT strings. They say they are made in Akron OH. I believe they wrap their stings there but have always wondered where they get their wire. Does anybody here know? I like their strings and think they are overlooked by many maybe because their price is so cheap. They were good enough for Buddy Emmons though. :)

Ok, knowing how some of you are about absolute correctness here, I do so on page 2 SIT strings was in a list of USA manufacturers but nobody has specifically commented on them. :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  11. TomK

TomK Tele-Holic

By the way, there's no mystery regarding Martin guitar strings: I pulled out a set of Retros and a set of SP's, and it says right on the packages - "Made in Mexico"

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Well, if you're ever driving thru Sudbury, Ontario, you'll see the Big Nickel.

[​IMG]

And if you look the other way...

[​IMG]

13. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Why is that? They are making some great strings for the violin family now at the For-Tune company. A smallish family owned company that has done a lot of good development work with top international players, and have come up with a world class product that many profesional musicians are begining to use.

As for American strings, speaking as someone who has been selling strings in my shop for over 30 years now, the few companies that make violin strings are well below average in quality. D'addario quality control is useless, with new strings having pitted surfaces, quickly prone to rust.....and...and....and. After throwing away a load of high "E" strings, and haveing a few customer reclaimations for faulty cello strings, I stopped buying or selling American strings about 3 1/2 years ago. I hope things will soon improve though, and if customers demand them, maybe I will try them again next year.

14. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

It's hard to keep track because many of the big names are deliberately unclear about where they source materials and parts, and even where they do assembly and, if they do it anymore, luthiery. I use D'Addario and Ernie Ball strings, and the particular sets I use are marked as made in USA. I like to support regional companies like Ernie Ball (I live in CA). I dislike very much the widespread industy practice of sourcing stuff worldwide and then "making" the product in some location, like the US that appeals to buyers. I guess they just can't be honest and say "assembled in XXX, USA, of components sourced worldwide." They hide behind an image of craftsmanship and national identity while actually supporting a system of underpayment to workers and environmental damage achieved by shifting those operations elsewhere. So it goes. Ditto, tubes. "Tested and selected in Germany." But made in... "Mullard." Sounds British. But made in... I try to stick to stuff sourced and made in the USA, and when I don't or can't, I try to buy products made in other democracies and free countries; for guitar stuff, that's often Germany, Japan.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Will the end of globalisation start with guitar strings?

16. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

True...I live on Long Island. Just heard yesterday that D'Addario is producing face shields for the medical field working during this Covid crisis.

17. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Eventually

18. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

Once again...the FTC has a Made In USA standard. If the product doesn't meet the standard, it can't be called Made In USA.

You mentioned Ernie Ball, they don't assemble strings, they manufacture them from carbon steel core wire, various wrap wires and ball ends. That meets the standard.

If a company buys finished parts from all over and puts them together here, the FTC calls that "screwdriver assembly." That 's when the company has to say "Assembled in USA."

If all the raw materials had to originate in USA, then no product with any steel in it could be Made In USA, since all steel is alloyed with elements that aren't mined here (e.g. manganese) and no guitar with a rosewood or ebony fretboard could be Made In USA.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.