What brand of boots do you wear?

vgallagher

Tele-Meister
Red Wing Iron Rangers - I always hear people complaining that these are uncomfortable, but for me, these are the most comfortable boots on the planet (after the required initial break-in period, of course); I've got a pair in brown, and another one in black.

My other favorite shoes a specific model of Clarks wingtips - I found these a few years ago, they were so comfortable that I bought a couple of pairs in brown and black, saving some in a closet, until the first pair is worn out (took about 6 or 7 years).

My favorite hiking boots at the moment are Salewas, but I get whatever fits my requirements, not stuck on a specific brand.

I hate a too casual look (don't even get me started on the hippie slob look - looking at you, Birkenstocks & Crocs), so I don't wear sneakers/tennis shoes/trainers - unless it's for actual sporting activities ,(I do wear some at the gym); but for very hot summer days I've got a pair of low-top cotton sneakers...
Agree with the Iron Rangers, I tell my wife that they are my outdoor slippers. I had zero problem with break in. Hate crocks / sandals especially if I'm on a plane and the guy next me has his yellow fungus toenails showing.

Muddyshoes

Tele-Holic
For a work environment I like "Redwings". For playing out in the cold "Baffin" never had cold feet with these boots, even out snowmobiling in sub zero weather.

beninma

Friend of Leo's
I have a couple pairs of Oboz boots.. one is a big 12" high insulated winter boot and one is a low cut hiking shoe type thing.

They have both been pretty great.

I have a pair of Merrell boots that are summer hiking boots and they're pretty terrible compared to the Oboz... I got them really cheap on sale at LL Beans. They don't fit as well, whatever they used for waterproofing doesn't breathe well, my feet sweat more in the summer Merrell's than they do in the insulated winter Oboz. And for some reason the Merrell's just love to suck up every pine needle in site and deposit them into my socks if I'm walking a pine forest in shorts..

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
The best boots on ice I've ever had were the old Hermann Survivors made in Newmarket NH. They got bought out waaay back in the late '70s and were never as good. You could walk up ice cliff faces in them. Ok, slight exaggeration but they were the shizznit, as the kids say. Plus they were insulated to 40 below zero (same both celsius and Fahrenheit). Plus they molded to fit your feet like gloves.

They had two downsides. One was they made your feet sweat. Goats puked and buzzards fell out of the skies when you took them off. The other was the soles wore down quickly and nobody but nobody could resole them.

I actually scored some NOS, there were 3 pairs in my size. I grabbed two and left the third. When I went back for them, they were gone. After sitting in a back room for 40 years, somebody else out there asked about them??

I've worn one set of them. I save them for the worst weather. The soles are almost gone now. There's one pair left unworn.

I got a pair of those as a teenager in the mid 70's and I remember that they were quite expensive, but I convinced my parents I needed them. May have been a Christmas gift. Anyway they are the best boots I have ever owned. I wore them until sometime in the 90's, somehow I had managed to cut the upper and they were no longer waterproof. At that point as you mention Herman Survivors were no longer the same boot.

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
I wear a lot of different boots, both for my work, for flying in, and for work around the woods here.

in no particular order:

Corcoran
Danner
Wolverine
Dickies
Brahma
Timberland
Double H
Justin

They all work just fine, or I would be rid of them by now.

;)

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Interesting thread. I have had a devil of a time finding hiking boots that fit me. My feet are short but wide. Regular sizes pinch, and wide sizes are sometimes way too wide. I've been trying every brand. Vasque seem to run narrow, Keen too flat, Timberland too stiff, Salomon was narrow also. Oboz was pretty close. Merrell seems to run bigger than the others, so I needed to go down a size. Nobody seems to have many in stock, so I am having to order and return many, many pairs. Frustrating.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Interesting thread. I have had a devil of a time finding hiking boots that fit me. My feet are short but wide. Regular sizes pinch, and wide sizes are sometimes way too wide. I've been trying every brand. Vasque seem to run narrow, Keen too flat, Timberland too stiff, Salomon was narrow also. Oboz was pretty close. Merrell seems to run bigger than the others, so I needed to go down a size. Nobody seems to have many in stock, so I am having to order and return many, many pairs. Frustrating.
As I recall, Merrell makes most of their Moab boots in wide widths.
Here's a link to their site:
Danner also offers wide:

I and my sons have the opposite problem - 14 narrow. But we just cinch 'em up tight.

Happy Hunting!

itstooloudMike

Tele-Meister
Just recently got a pair of Twisted-X hiking boots with 8” shafts. They come in wide, which works well for me. They are very comfortable, and we’ll made. They are true to size, if you are ordering online. Twisted-X makes lots of work and cowboy boots as well. I will be buying more. Got mine on Amazon, but most boot shops carry them

itstooloudMike

Tele-Meister
I love Merrill’s, and have several pair. But it’s getting really hard to get wide widths. Some models aren’t even offered in wide, and the ones that are, are usually out of stock. That’s why I tried Twisted-X, and I’m glad I did.

Stratohacker

Tele-Afflicted
For work:
Danners - tougher than steel - my last pair lasted 15 years 4 resoles
Redbacks - most comfortable boots I've worn for work
Rockys - about midway between the durability of Danners and the comfort of the Redbacks
Bates - pretty close to the Rockys in terms of durability and comfort.

Off Duty:
Redwings - comfortable, water proof and durable
Teva - like sneakers
Salomon - sturdy, water proof, comfortable hiking boots

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Meindl. Only two pairs left in my store when the went clearance (I got 45% off that as an employee). Both pairs my size. I bought one, and joked about buying the other. Mrs. German said “if they’re that great, and they fit your flippers, buy the other and you’ll never need boots again.” Since I’m still wearing the Meindls I bought in 2013, I agreed with her.

Rain Edition: Xtratuf rubber boots. Also bought on clearance at that job.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Add: I wore a lot of Bates (not as good) and Red Wings (really good) back in the day. The Bates soles usually fell apart from the non-skid long before the uppers were eaten away by the salt water. The Red Wings always had enough life left to ride the motorcycle for a year or so on shore duty...although the soles were fairly smoothed (good for the mc).

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Many years ago, I was flirting with a young woman. I told her that I had a pair of cowboy boots older than her.

And it was true. My Acme cowboy boots were my go-to footwear when playing in bands. Had to do a few resoles, but then good as new.

The comment about boots older than the girl, seems to have been around for a long time. I first heard it on Lou Grant, and several times since about boots and shoes.

dankilling

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Danners for outdoors activities, Timberland and Cureo for work and out on the town. I dig wearing my Cuero ropers with a suit. I have a pair of LL Bean boots for when it’s sloppy, and Chippewa boots for when it’s really cold. I actually inherited the Chippewas from my wife’s grandfather who wore them on the family farm for 30 years, and I expect to get another 10 out of them with a resole.

Last edited: