What brand of boots do you wear?

guitarndrms

Tele-Meister
I’ve got some Irish Setter boots that I’ve been wearing for a while now. Slip on and lace up. I’m not overly comfortable in them but they do the job. I’m actually on the market for a more comfortable pair as we speak, this thread will be useful!

Tommy Biggs

Friend of Leo's
Keen - disposable, but comfortable and functional. 2 years is good enough for me.

I've gone through Timberlands, Wolverines, Carhartts, Merrells, North Face and Tony Lamas.
I'm too chicken to spring for the big bucks on boots or shoes. Like guitars, I want to try them before I buy them and there's not many good options for that around here.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
I dig Cheaney Boots! You sir are a man of refined taste.

My rotation
Cheaney dress boots
Tricker's dress boots
Wesco engineer boots
Mister Freedom engineer boots
Chuck's when the little doggies need a break from all those boots.
Cheaneys are expensive but worth it. I've returned a pair for a service £100 approx. and they completely rebuild the boot. It's like getting a brand new pair. I've just the 2 pairs both over 10 years old.
I aspire to a pair of Tricker's but just that bit too far out of my budget considering I'm rarely out and about these days.
I also prefer the leather soles because commando soles and effects pedals just don't mix.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I DON’T LIKE/WEAR HEAVY BOOTS !

Sorry for shouting. By heavy I don’t mean well constructed, I mean: weight

aFewGoodTaters

Tele-Meister
For hiking I go with Salomons. Light weight, durable, and they offer good support.

For winter boots, I go with LL Bean standard 'Bean Boots' with optional liner inserts. I live in a cold state (it's -26 below F windchill today), and these haven't let me down yet. Excellent boot.

bluesfordan

Friend of Leo's
I've been wearing Merrell Jungle Mocs for several years now. I try to get the Arctic grip version, they sell out so damn quick around here. I managed to get a pair this year, but I'm still wearing my regular ones from last year. When I walk more than 3 miles a day, they last just about a year. Sadly I have not been reaching that milestone very much since Dec 2020, after I got sick with you know what.

I ordered a pair of Merrell's tall boots with the zipper, primarily for shoveling. So far the only time I wore them was after yet another frozen rain followed by snow event and the slope at the bottom of the driveway was treacherous. I bet my old Hermann Survivors would be fine on that nasty little incline

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Nine years as a Scout leader and 20 years of hiking in the high country. Now I'm interested in support and overall comfort for daily wear. So ...

Merrell Moab Prime is a heck of a nice boot.
More support and overall better boot than the normal Moab 2.
1642692913771.png

Also big fan of Danners. Found out a couple years ago they actually make a boot with a smooth leather outer, not the usual suede ... and love 'em. Same as the GTX boot, but with leather instead of nylon and suede.

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
I've a solid pair of Caterpillar boots (now on a second of the same model as the first lasted 10 years+), and a few pairs of Timberland boots (leather boots and leather 'chelsea' style boots) - all are thoroughly abused and never cleaned, but do the job well nontheless.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
Dr Martens or a UK made clone pair ( Whose name I forget and the print on the insole has worn away. Very well made. )
1460 since pre-teen.
Got to cosset your plates.

Like Docs used to be. Maybe better?

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
For some years I wore Chippewa and got really long use out of them plus comfort, and they looked nice too. Had a few other brands like Danner and the better Italian made Merrell.
IIRC for example a good pair of Chippewa was around $120 when Danner was closer to $200 and really didn't do anything better aside from being specialty sport hunting hiking etc as opposed to work boots. Danner was great, just too spendy, and also I never got on with the low low ankle on the hikers. Had Danner Elk Hunters that made me look like Terminator Frankenstein though!

Then around the turn of the Century, Chippewa stopped making them in the US, and the Chinese equivalents were sorts boot shaped objects that totally missed the mark in every way.

From that point on I had a harder time finding boots I could wear, partly due to an old skiing injury that made an ill fitting boot painful, and what the cheap imports seemed to fail at was the transition from heel to forefoot had a sharp transition rather than a foot shaped slope.
Maybe 8-10 years ago I saw Chippewa introduced a new US made line but figure they had to tool up and train new boot makers from scratch, plus once again designated specialty.
Nope, over priced crap IMO and further ticked me off that corporate think speak lost the vocabulary formerly used to maintain integrity, replaced by wall street whoring.

Romania seems to be the new Italomerica of boot making, and the Asolo boots I now rely on are formerly made in Italy by traditional methods but modernized with glue instead of stitching and really quite good for $250- $300 a pair.

I reckon there are still boot making Traditions carried on in Italy and the US but the profit cravings of today's corporate think seem to require specialty product designation for first world bootmaking.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
My ropers are nothing special. Deerskin, one pair of Ariat and one Justin's. I want to try Tecovas although I'm leery of buying footwear online.

I have a great pair of work boots--Wolverine Ultra Shox that lace up and have steel toes. They are super comfortable, and I got them at a resale store for $14. They'd go for ten times that if bought new.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
I have different boots for different purposes.

Ariat-cowboy
Thursday Boot Company-everyday/casual
Rocky-hunting
Vasque-hiking
Bulvier-everyday/casual
John Varvados-everyday/casual
Kamik-big snow

I also have a pair of rubber boots for mucking around, but can't remember the brand.

Last edited:

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
I once spent an afternoon, at Cavender's, in Houston, trying on dozens of pairs of boots, over a wide price range. The choice was almost overwhelming. The ones I really liked, weren't comfortable and the ones I didn't find aesthetically appealing , often were a better match, for my feet. Frustrating- but I did buy the best fitting pair of Wranglers I'd encountered, since the '70s- and a very nice Larry Mahan shirt.
;)

HaWE

Tele-Meister
For riding motorbike I still wear my old german army-boots from 1977.Some years ago I went to a shoemaker to have them repaired, he put on new soles.
Going to concerts or parties I often wear Sancho-cowboyboots.
Working in the wood I wear "Stihl"-Boots , also have some pairs of walking-boots ... I like to wear boots :)

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
My hiking boots are Timberlands. Basic but well made (in Vietnam). I bought them almost a year and a half ago, so I don't remember the model # or the price, but around a C-note. They've held up well, and are quite comfortable.

My wife and I take trips in our travel trailer and stay in state parks, and our recreation/activity of choice is hiking. I wear nothing but these on camping/hiking trips, but that's 6-7 days out of the month at best. Well, in the winter I do wear them in town for our evening walks in the neighborhood and nearby park, because they're warmer than my New Balance walking shoes.

But I wear boots daily. My brand of choice for cowboy boots as of now is Tecovas. However, for my next pair, I think I'm going to try a pair made in Texas by Fenoglio Boot Company for Schaefer Outfitter.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Doc martens, though the quality is very different with 2 pairs of the same model.