What brand of boots do you wear?

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
So can you not buy Milo’s anymore if you liked them so much?
not that I can see

the ones I had were made in the US by Dexter and were indestructible

I think they're considered "vintage" now

so I has sad

Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Sorel, because I wear a size 15, and they are one of the very few makers to carry my size. They've been great. I own 12 pair, different styles, different colors.

bluesfordan

Friend of Leo's
The best boots on ice I've ever had were the old Hermann Survivors made in Newmarket NH. They got bought out waaay back in the late '70s and were never as good. You could walk up ice cliff faces in them. Ok, slight exaggeration but they were the shizznit, as the kids say. Plus they were insulated to 40 below zero (same both celsius and Fahrenheit). Plus they molded to fit your feet like gloves.

They had two downsides. One was they made your feet sweat. Goats puked and buzzards fell out of the skies when you took them off. The other was the soles wore down quickly and nobody but nobody could resole them.

I actually scored some NOS, there were 3 pairs in my size. I grabbed two and left the third. When I went back for them, they were gone. After sitting in a back room for 40 years, somebody else out there asked about them??

I've worn one set of them. I save them for the worst weather. The soles are almost gone now. There's one pair left unworn.

itstooloudMike

Tele-Meister
Just recently got a pair of Twisted-X hiking boots with 8” shafts. They come in wide, which works well for me. They are very comfortable, and well made. They are true to size, if you are ordering online. Twisted-X makes lots of work and cowboy boots as well. I will be buying more. Got mine on Amazon, but most boot shops carry them.

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I've got an old pair of Fryes for banging around, a nice pair of lace-up square toes that I don't remember the brand name of.

My favorite - I bought a pair of black suede Noconas for stage 35 years ago. Still wear them on stage, they're on their third set of soles. Great pair of comfy boots.

- D

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The absolute best winter boots are the Matterhorn 1949 Field Boot.

I wore a pair above the Arctic Circle in a tent city for a year. Hiked for hundreds of miles and cross country skiied another couple hundred of miles. I even broke through a frozen fjord once and went in up to my knees.

My feet were never cold and always dry. That pair was re-soled 5 times over the next 22 years before finally needing to be retired. I sport a new pair of them now for carrying mail when the snow hits...still as good as the originals.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
iron.jpg

Red Wings, for work.....

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
1642649442948.png

Replaced them with Altbergs. Made in Yorkshire, which should please some of our regular contributors. :cool:
Unlike the Italian boots, they come in a range of width fittings. Result? Superbly comfortable. No blisters, for the first time in 55 years of outdoor wandering.

Doctor of Teleocity
Disappointed with the boots I got only a couple years ago. Falling apart and too painful to wear now. Last pair of the same brand lasted more than two decades. Took them to the store to see if they could/would fix them. They said factory wouldn’t because they were a couple years old, wear and tear, and out of warranty. I used to love that company and took a lot of pride in their boots. They didn’t even try to sell me a new pair, maybe because they know in their hearts that their boots and their company aren’t what they used to be. I work in my boots, and I’m not easy on them, but the price tag on my last pair wasn’t easy on me either.

Just like nearly everything else now, fewer and fewer things to believe in, the longer I live. Disposability factor.

At least my Muck boots haven’t let me down yet, they don’t have a steel toe, but at least that’s better for work than feeling like my foot is being stabbed all day.

Guess I’ll look into some of the recommendations you guys are making.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I need some new work boots, but my main hiking boots are a pair of Italian Asolo boots I have had since 1995 or six. They are not the only pair I have had during that time but have outlasted all the others.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
everyday winter boots: mid-height waterproof Keens, with Kahtoola nano-spikes when warranted. Tungsten mini-crampons really bite in the ice.

deep snow or serious sub-zero: Sorels

summer/shoulder season: low rise Oboz hiking shoes, non-waterproof (and thus breathable).

bar boots: Tony Lama or Tacoma.

XC ski boots: Alpina.

Fishing boots: Simms.

Backpacking boots: Obóz waterproof full-height.

We wear boots a lot in Montana, I guess.
I hike in either old Vasque boots or Merrell trail runners. For the snow, lately I've been wearing my Alpina Montana cross country ski (nnnbc) boots--except for the toe bar, you'd think you were wearing regular (but well insulated) hiking boots. Fishing, I just wet wade in Chacos, but they get rocks in them all the time.

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
Leather = Danner, both the imported and USA stuff. I’ve had amazing life beating the heck outta my Pronghorns and they’ve got the most miles on ‘em.

For wet/hunting Lacrosse. They aren’t as good as the old ones but I’ve found nothing else that works.

I’d like a good pair of slip on medium high boots for just banging around. Have old Muck Fisherman boots I really liked but soles too slick after lots of wear. Hope to find a replacement. My old feet are getting ever more hard to please.

Les H

Tele-Holic
I do everything in Justin steel toe Wellington Made in USA slip on boots.

I don't care for their MIC line.