What Bedroom Amp Has it ALL!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ClosetSciFiGeek, Mar 3, 2015.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I wasn't joking about the Twin Reverb well a Princeton works well too.
    Try to get dirty at low volumes and you wind up with the kind of tone I hate. Mushy, all blended together, distorted junk.
    If the goal is to be a better guitar player then an amp that lets you hear every string, every note, the way you pick every note and yes every mistake is the way to do it.

Just my opinion and not a very popular one I know.

2. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

I've tried a number of bedroom amps, as I share walls with neighbours and don't want to be a nuisance with late night practising. The Yamaha THR10 solved the problem of a good sounding amp at very reasonable volumes.

My buddy loved it so much he bought mine and I bought the THR10C, which isn't so much of a Swiss Army knife amp, but concentrates more on classic tube amps.

[​IMG]
    my old Yamaha SC600 & new Yamaha THR10C

3. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

Check out the Phaez Corona 8 watter (1 6V6). It has master volume, gain, bass, mid, treble and bright knobs (the last is like having a continuously variable bright switch). No reverb on mine, nor trem, but a great effects loop. Randy Fay is a great builder and his prices are reasonable.

4. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

This is what I'd have written if I'd gotten here earlier. And it plays nice with my pedals. If you really need a decent (but not perfect) reverb, put an FRV-1 on and it'll be fine.

I'm seriously considering getting the THR10C and still keeping the original.

I can get good tone while still at a volume that let's me play when everyone's sleeping. And if I want louder, that's what headphones are for anyway.

5. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

[highjack] the sounds and tones that I preferred were more towards classic tube amps and less to Mesa/shredder territory.

I passed my THR10 on to a buddy who lives on a remote island and bought the THR10C when one popped up quite reasonably priced while he was down here for a visit.

The THR10 covers a lot of bases, the 10C concentrates on the bases that I prefer.

The disadvantage of the 10C is the dial captions are much harder to read with the small dark printing on the black panel.[/highjack]

6. ClosetSciFiGeek

ClosetSciFiGeek TDPRI Member

What about something like a Marshall 18 watt clone kit from Mojotone with an effects loop wired in? Kind of unconventional, but I was wondering if that since it tends to be dirty quickly like my 5E3 might give me good overdriven tones at reasonable volume?, it has tremolo onboard, and I could run a reverb pedal in the added loop. What do you guys think.

7. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

More amps to think about:

A VHT Special 12/20 RT would be pretty close except for not having the TMB EQ section.

Marsh Buffalo Reverb amp would be a consideration too. It's like a 6G2 - Brownface Princeton, with reverb added and a master volume.

A Peavey Delta Blues might actually have everything on the list.

Vox AC30 or AC15 or older Cambridge Reverb.

And maybe an older Peavey Transtube EFX amp (which can be found in a 1x8, 1x10, 1x12 and 2x12).

ETA: Quilter Micropro series has just about everything on the list - except for reverb is digital.

8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I built an 18 watt it's ok if you play it loud but turned down it doesn't do much for me. (doesn't do much for me turned up either)
    Every year or so I get bored and mess around with it maybe a mod here or there or a another speaker but it's just not an amp I bond with.
    At 800 something it's one of the more expensive amps I have and since it's a kit amp the one that's worth the least.

9. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

No bedroom amp has it all. Some are single-ended class A, some are push-pull design. Some will come with reverb, many boutique will not. Effects loop?....tube driven effects loop? Line out or headphone out. Attenuator????
    I prefer a head & cabinet, so here is my list of cool "bedroom" or studio amps:
    Blackstar HT-5RH
    Orange Jim Root #4 Dark Terror
    Laney L20H
    Friedman Pink Taco
    Suhr Corso
    Kendrick So-Lo 7

10. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I liked the Mesa Transatlantic a lot when I tried it. However, I only play at acoustic guitar volumes, and have gone for clean plus pedals, and my go-to amp is a bright-modded Epi VJ. It has a 12dB L-pad which cuts its theoretical output to less than 0.5w, but tone is sacrificed, so I use it at 5w with the volume turned right down.

11. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

12. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Holic

https://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/

Jim Frenzel has something you can use. They aint the purdiest (unless you put out the extra $$$$$ for a cab when you order) but they are rock solid, top quality everything, and have awesome tones at any volume or power level you want.

13. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I agree with the Mustang idea, but I truly believe you would love a Peavey Bandit 112 with a trem pedal. I have the Danelectro Cool Cat tremolo and to me I can get any trem sound I want out of my Bandit.

14. ClosetSciFiGeek

ClosetSciFiGeek TDPRI Member

Soundchaser59, those Frenzel amps are speaking to me and they are reasonably priced. I really like the Champ Super Sportster.

15. Pele

Pele TDPRI Member

I LOVE my Laney L5T-112 as well.
    P.

16. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Hasn't hit streets yet and it's also a head, Peavey Classic 20 head. Runs at 20, 5 or 1w, has everything you asked for except built in trem.

Pair it up with a roll your own cab/speaker.

17. Torb

Torb TDPRI Member

If you, at any point, will be gigging this amp, I would take an extra look at the Mesa 5:25+ and Mark V25. Great sounding, pretty portable, good reverb, functional master volumes and reliable. Might be harder to get a classic crunchy distortion out of these two than the more saturated Mesa-style overdrive, but some fiddling with the controls gets you into both ballparks.
    If gigging wont be happening, try the Yamaha THR. I was blown away by the sound quality vs. price-factor on these small boxes.
    (I have owned several Mesa-amps, gigged the older model 5:25 and MarkV, but I have yet to play the Mark V25. Do like the demos, tho! I also use a THR10C for home practice, and I am very pleased with it (even the reverb)).

18. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Peavey Bravo if you can find one.....nuff said.

"peavey bravo 112" on ebay right now! 280.00

19. Sixwire

Sixwire Tele-Meister

I like my Marshal Class 5 on the 1/4 watt setting. Also use the Pathfinder 15 or my Micro Cube. Sometimes use my Champ 600. I'm an amp junkie!

20. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

+1 No pedals required....no loop required....

But even at 5 watts, it's pretty loud. I have the non-trem version of the amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.