1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What attenuator to get for my amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Strowbri86, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Strowbri86

Strowbri86 Tele-Meister

I recently acquired an amazing early 60s Ampeg J-12 Jet 15 watt amp. It works great and sounds amazing.
    My issue is that even at just 15 watts it gets LOUD. And it doesn't start to break up until it gets well past appropriate levels for my tiny, thin-walled house in this packed neighborhood.

So I was thinking about getting an attenuator so I can still utilize its natural crunch at home. But I have never gotten one. Do I need to buy one that matches my amp's wattage and ohms? Is there a price threshold where they tend to not sound great under a certain amount? I don't want to get one it it's going to take away from how great this amp sounds, and also not if I need to break the bank.

Thanks!

20200110_135154.jpg 20200110_135220.jpg 20200110_135348.jpg

rangercaster likes this.
  2. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Don't get one that is 15W, you'll want at least 50W so you won't blow the attenuator.

Those amps get a lot of speaker breakup with the original speakers when played without an attenuator.

I played one once (6V6 version), but I'm not that familiar with those. Does it have a jack for the speaker? You might need some simple mods if it doesn't.

3. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

As @radiocaster said, the speaker breakup will be missed at lower volumes, no matter how high you crank the dial pre-attenuator.

As far as the hardware itself, I recommend a Two Notes Torpedo Captor. It's a flat -20db attenuator + reactive load box + 2 cab sims + DI. It also decouples the load the amp sees from the speaker load, so you can run any speaker with any amp using it. It's an excellent attenuator with a whole bunch of useful features added on.

They also released the Captor X at NAMM which has dual channel output, reverb and compressor or some such other effect, an IR loader and a whole bunch of other gadgets, if you really like the bells and whistles.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

What's the budget?

At the low end of the scale are the Harley Benton unit from Thomann and the Behringer PS1. The Behringer is a 'tribute' to the next on the list, the Jet City Jettenuator.

These are basic L-Pad + resistor networks. They work very well indeed. Resistors tend not to have 'tone' of their own, but you do miss out on the pushback from the speaker coil and varying impedance with frequency a little. Fletcher-Munson effects come in too. They're not too bad, and an EQ pedal dials out most of it.

Inexpensive, useful, multiple input resistances, neutral sounding, with the above caveats. You will need a speaker jack.

5. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Man, I’m envious! Ive been hunting that exact amp and couldnt find one here!!!

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I think some DrZ amps put their little baby lite in
    back of combo..for situations.

8. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Eminence Maverick.

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The L pad type speaker soaks Carls custom guitars sells would work fine. Or you could build your own for something like $10 bucks.
    I bought a fancy pants $25 buck 70watt speaker attenuator a few days ago but am waiting on an enclosure to install it in before wiring up.

20200125_162427.jpg

10. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

Pillows and duct tape.

rangercaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.