What artist should play a TELECASTER??

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by whitele, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

It's a pity Jerry Garcia didn't play one.

I guess a Strat looks better upside down than a Tele, otherwise Hendrix probably would have have one more often. Still trying to figure out what he meant when he said that the Tele has two sounds: one good and one bad...

2. andromeda673

andromeda673 Tele-Meister

I would love to hear wes borland pick one up, I know he never will, but if he could some pickup combo that he liked it would be intresting to hear some of the stuff he could come up with.

I like wes for his ability to really make the guitar create a huge pallet of sounds, I'm not a limp bizkit fan but his playing is unique.

Also I would like to hear Dweezil Zappa pick one up, he's extremely talented he's a strat and viking guy.

3. tele0053

tele0053 Tele-Holic

Thanks for throwing the crew-cut- clip of clapton-clanking- on the crimson-Yardbird management owned tele, I've seen it lot's of times (as I'm sure many of us have) but certainly always love seeing Eric really digging into that guitar with that very hard and aggressive picking attack on that number. I read somewhere both Clapton & Beck talking about that guitar (which appears to be "61ish to
    "63ish or there abouts) and both of them saying that the guitar belonged to management of the Yardbirds, and although it had the Muddy Waters look, it was supposedly a real dog of a guitar, sound and playing wise (bowed neck and abolutley no sing or sustain) a total 'Plink Plank' if you know what I mean...Just thought I'd throw that out there, anybody know anymore? please chime up I'd love to hear anything else anyone knows on that one.
    It's always been a bit of a curiosity that one junk or not...
    I think I might have read that Andy Summers or Albert Lee owned it before or after, back in the day or some such foolishness ....whatevahhh!

4. casterway

casterway Friend of Leo's

A lot of KISS songs had telecaster on them

Attached Files:

5. furrfurrfurr

furrfurrfurr Friend of Leo's

I think it'd be fun to see/hear Les Paul play one.

Angus Young would be cool, too.

6. whitele

whitele TDPRI Member

A black and a white one?

7. dagenhamjim

dagenhamjim Tele-Meister

I know he is not longer with us and to me he is so sadly missed but I would have loved to have seen the late great Mick Ronson unleashed with a Tele!

8. tele0053

tele0053 Tele-Holic

I remember seeing something on utube or somewhere in the last year or so that was filmed right before his passing (Mick Ronson that is) and he was playing live on either a candy apple red white guard, or black and white guard, or something like that... '50's old or reissue type tele with a maple neck and he was owning the sound and feel on it big time like teles were homebase for him...I'll check utube to see if I can find it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  9. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Well, EC did use a tele (albeit with a strat neck) in the Blind Faith days - great tone on that dvd of the Hyde Park gig.

I also saw some footage of him playing a butterscotch tele in the studio during the making of the 'Escondido' album with JJ Cale. From memory he wasn't playing lead, just chording in a general studio rehearsal. I thought he looked a bit odd without a strat or 335 round his neck!

10. tele0053

tele0053 Tele-Holic

I was popping around in utube and came across one of my favorite early Clapton breaks with the Yardbirds that I hadn't heard or thought about in probably 20 years or so...
    The guitar solo on "Ain't Got You" ...HOLY MOLY...if that isn't one ear piercing ice pick of an in your face almost Buchanan type tele bridge pickup lead... I don't know what is.
    Seeing how that was recorded in early 1964 it must have been on that red tele, boy if that was the chirping guitar on that solo and it was a dog...I'm opening a friggen' kennel!

11. mrplavick

mrplavick TDPRI Member

Neat! Thanks!

12. andromeda673

I would have loved to have heard SRV grab one and bang some of his killer riffs out on a telecaster. Slash too would be intresting to hear on one.

13. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

In reference to some posts above:
    Peter Buck used a Black Tele Deluxe at some point in the 80s, around 'Fables of the Reconstruction'.
    Mick Ronson, at the end of his life, played a Tele Custom.

14. andromeda673

now that i'm thinking about it, Kirk Hammet would be intresting, I can only imagine.

15. SatelliteOrders

SatelliteOrders Friend of Leo's

Unforgiven 2 features a B-bender. I can only assume it was a Tele.

16. andromeda673

It would be intresting to see if he was actaully playing a tele, Randy Rhoads would be sick to hear on telecaster.

17. tele0053

tele0053 Tele-Holic

I read somewhere that SRV was playing a late 50's Esquire or Telecaster on "The House is Rocking" studio version.

18. whitele

whitele TDPRI Member

He used a Telecaster with Metallica on Load/Re-Load, Garage Inc., I Dissapear, St. Anger and Death Magnetic.

[​IMG]

19. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

Marley and the Wailers should have.

20. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.