What are your thoughts on Vintage versus New Telecasters/Guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digiplay, May 22, 2020.

1. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Jimi would be playing a Silver Sky.
    (runs for cover)

Pixies2005, bgmacaw and monkeybanana like this.
  2. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

i don't really care what guitar you own as long you shut up and play it.

Lance Morgan and Digiplay like this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

1. He would get his custom shop signature model, thus creating a time paradox vortex.

2. That's impossible to say because times and tastes change so much. But, provided Reverb is still around, those 2025 models will be listed as "vintage" and curmudgeons on forums will be talking about how much better newer Gibsons are than late Henry J. era models.

3. Better is subjective. The value of a vintage guitar is its authenticity, scarcity and its well developed character over time. Some authentic vintage guitars aren't good, only suitable for a blues lawyer to use as bragging rights, while others are really great. Some are great guitars but have been modded so they're no longer authentic. Others are broken by use and abuse. Today, manufacturing is more consistent so you're probably going to get a decent guitar as compared to the way guitars were 25+ years ago. Also, you're no longer limited to the choice of buying an expensive guitar or a hunk of junk from Sears or Montgomery Ward. Even a $50 Musician's Friend acoustic is far better what you would get in a mail order catalog in the 1960's.

4. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

1) Jimi was Jimi, to coin a phrase "Jimi played guitar"... He certainly didn't just play a Strat or give a flying .... what he was playing new or old.

2) Sure, why not?

3) As a 60+ Yr old player.... Personally I particularly dislike the newer necks and hotter pickups cf to what I own. But, Fender are quite rightly looking to a younger market now, so I doubt they're not going to fail anytime soon.

5. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

6. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

Do you wish you had a Silvertone (with case/amp) from the 60's? :)

thankyouguitar likes this.
  7. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

YES! I continue to keep an eye out for the right 1448... XD

MilwMark likes this.
  8. SPECTRUM001

SPECTRUM001 TDPRI Member

Fascinating thread...My initial thoughts -

1. Guitars definitely need to be played in, and often sound better once they have settled, climatized and got used to their owner’s style

2. The great sounds we associate from period recordings were often played on guitars that were expertly set up and fine tuned to the player

3. These sounds were probably played on decent guitars (ie a crap guitar from 1979 will have sounded crap in 1979 and in 2020 - my 1981 Bullet being an example)

4. What is the demographic of TDPRI ? I would imagine we are not average age of 23. I wonder if the thousands of young guitarists in up and coming bands give two hoots about Vintage. Probably not, or not until their palette and bank balance allows

5. Relating to the above - I think (although I may be wrong) Alex Turner played a regular Strat on the first Arctic Monkeys LP (fastest selling UK LP for eons), although I will bet now he has a range of older guitars

6. A guitar has three components - how it sounds, how it plays and how it looks. I strongly believe the first two can be organised quite well on a modern guitar. The third then comes down to the finish, and how it will age

If all modern guitars were finished in nitro, would this discussion be less pertinent ? On a related note, I would really like to see some pics of great looking beat up Poly guitars, cos when the ‘natural relic’ argument is pitched, it is often with a nitro body. Answering my own question, Anna Calvi’s 1997 Standard looks great with its chips and grazes. Though I am confused with how the fingerboard seems to have aged - which I believed would not happen with urethane.

Fascinating thread !!!

javiersson likes this.
  9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

+1. Super expensive guitars are great to play. But I'm not a collector nor am I particularly careful.

Had a couple of pricey guitars I bought at good price secondhand then moved on later.

I'm looking for the right player 70s Strat but more because it was the cool guit when I was a kid and I have a use for it. I want stuff I can mod. A lot on vintage stuff is limited unless you change.

Prefame today Hendrix would play what we all did. Secondhand, Squires I imagine he'd have a Helix or Roland Cube or maybe Hotrod Deluxe.

Post fame he'd be given Custom Shop stuff. He'd likely have an Endorsement deal.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Jakedog likes this.
  10. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Meister

Yep the article linked above hit the nail on the head; they weren't vintage when they were making the music we all love.

My .02 a good tool is a good tool

11. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

If it sounds good it is good. So there.

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I've got a few 60's and early 70's catalog guitars I bought at garage and estate sales over the years. They aren't very good and only one is still playable.

13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

ditto

14. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Old guitars are fun as relics of the heyday of rock music. Maybe they have some special tonal characteristics... if you get a good one. But the spec and quality at all levels of the Fender catalogues is very solid now. I look back at the 90s MIJs and early MiMs and Squier is blowing them out of the water. Not been a better time to buy a new Fender in my lifetime, in my opinion.

Bob M likes this.
  15. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

It IS Fascinating SPECTRUM001..........................................................................

and you're a GENIUS in asking for some pictures of vintage poly finish guitars, such a GENIUS that I'm starting a Thread about it now :)

Thanks!
    Jerry

16. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

I’m an old guy (66) and I like the idea of vintage guitars but don’t have the financial means to really get into the game. Recently Zac Childs did a program on mid-60s maple cap Teles and referred to them as the “last affordable vintage”. It spurred my interest so I did some searching on Gbase, Reverb and various dealer sites. $7,500-$11,500 might be affordable relative to a 1953 Tele, but that’s a lot of scratch. Also, I wonder how much of the recorded tone of our heroes vintage instruments was “helped” by the engineer. Just a thought. I love vintage Guitars and I love new guitars. They each have their place.

17. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

You ain't old my friend!

When I was 25, I knew other 25 year old guys that were old, and now that I'm the same age as you, I know 66 year old guys that still think they're young :)

Lance Morgan and DaveGo like this.
  18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve played one 1959 Les Paul and two 1960’s - one of which was ragged and the other super clean.

And I’ve played 50 (?) or so new R8’s, R9’s and R0’s. If they have one or more in the store , I play them all.

10-12 of those brand-new guitars were better than the 3 vintage ones.

So as over-priced as the VOS RI’s are, some were better than the originals costing $150,000-$250,000.

Since vintage LP Std’s are always at or near the top in vintage desirability, I think soooooo much of what we’ve always been sold/told is malarkey/hoo-hah/garbage.

Don’t get me started on tweed amp clones vs vintage ...:lol:

middy likes this.
  19. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Our heros sounded great playing guitars of their era. They sounded great because they were great guitarists. They would have sounded equally good no matter which guitar they chose.

Should I choose a vintage guitar over a more current model? I buy used for value and make mods or changes as necessary.

Does nostalgia play a role in my choice of guitars? I wanted an SG when I was in high school. I have one now. I wanted a Gretsch hollow body too. I have one of those. Back then I bought a Jazzmaster over a Strat. I made up for lost time and have two Strats now. I bought a Tele to play country and can play country on any of my guitars.

I’m thinking it’s not much different now from 50 years ago. We buy what we like or want and what we can afford, with one big difference. Back then I had one guitar at a time. Now I have more guitars than I have time to play.

Lance Morgan and MarkieMark like this.
  20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I play, I don’t collect.
    I want, like and use “tool” instruments.
    I almost always buy gently used guitars.
    Only my trusty avatar guitar was purchased, in pieces, new.
    Though I’ve owned many wonderful vintage instruments, they were just good used tools when I had them.
    New stuff is infinitely better made, better sounding, and affordable.
    I depend on my gear for a living.
    All my newer stuff is great!

mossman and JL_LI like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.