1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What are your thoughts on the ukelele?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Colo Springs E, Sep 11, 2014.

1. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

At least the smell of many ukuleles would be better than a bar-harmonica.

Ukawaywee

A bweth o' perfume linger dare
    nuzzled in heaving buxomity

Bloozeharp

deth o' burdpoop finger-wings flair
    guzzled dem grieving in frunta me dare

Ashmouth growl no wipe-a wid towel

Las week's dinna need woot canal

Whiskee go shootin spray thru dose reeds

Uke smell sweet as'a ma hart bweeds

2. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

"For all of you having a bad day."

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I could never get the fad/fascination about ukes until I watched the documentary about Jake Shiabukuro. He is absolutely awesome on the uke that inspires lots of people to start playing an instrument and what can be bad about that? However, in the long run, I keep thinking what Jake could do on a guitar.

BTW, Jake plays a tenor uke, so I think that the larger body adds fullness that is lacking in your standard uke.

4. BruceF

BruceF Tele-Meister

here is the prototype of the electric ukes I am building now. I make my own pickups.

Attached Files:

5. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

Uke Nickelback covers. Two wrongs just might make a right.

https://ukutabs.com/n/nickelback/rockstar/

* disclaimer. I could only make it through ten seconds of this video. Bragging rights for anyone who makes it further...

6. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

My thoughts are that ukes are fun and they make people happy. I've yet to see a guitar player pick up one of my ukes and not giggle when they play them. Dynamics this, range that, plinka plinka whatever...they aren't intimidating and they get people to play music :D

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

7. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I went to three workshops at Bunkfest a week or so ago. DADGAD tuning, introduction to 5 string banjo, and a ukulele taster session. DADGAD was interesting but made me feel like a ham fisted beginner all over again, 5 strings and open G tuning made the banjo perfect for playing Brown Sugar, but I won't be buying one. The Uke however! In a couple of months time I have a £200 Amazon voucher coming my way, and I will be buying myself a half decent baritone uke with it.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

You win, mrboson. No way could I make 10 seconds!

9. SynMike

SynMike Tele-Holic

Is it the sound of nylon strings that doesn't appeal to me? Maybe. I don't like classical guitar much either. I also like notes to sustain more. (But as short percussive goes, I do like Banjo.)

On the other hand, I do see the appeal, some people make it work. I think for most people the best focus for Uke is fun, not serious art. My dad plays Ukelele. He brings it out at family gatherings or when there is a crowd of friends visiting, sings a couple of songs. The result is lots of smiles and a few laughs. It's lighthearted fun, entertaining. But somehow IMO very few people make it sound like a serious instrument. He has a standard Uke, a Banjo Uke, and Electric Uke. He has almost never played the electric one so it is on loan to my home at the moment. Its a Tombo from somewhere between 1969-1971. Also fun, not serious. "Fun" is enough merit.

[​IMG]

10. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Love my tenor ukulele, makes me think differently I've wrote a couple of songs on it I'd never have come up with on guitar...

And this is a great song, proving that it's a valid instrument not just a toy.

(Not sure why the video is showing up twice)

11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I like the Uke in certain contexts, especially Hawaiian music. But the Hipster fad aspects kind of bother me. Our guitarist just bought his wife, our singer, one and she's incorperating it into the band pretty well. It's kind of buried in the mix, so I don't really mind. And we are working up John Prine's "Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian" so it's not all bad.

Still...

Attached Files:

12. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Here I'm having some fun with the Martin uke my dad gave me. Can't seem to put down the pick...:)

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

13. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Traditional Hawaiian style my favorite. Met a few hipster types who were pretty skilled, lotsa chords. I know some old jug band freaks who carry a song real nicely with a Uke in the mix along with musical saw, washboard, tenor banjo, a little kazoo too, I can dig it in that context too.

The Uke clubs that have 15 playing at once are usually pretty boring unless it's kids, then it's cool.

14. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I'd like to get one for my cousin-in-law.

15. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

Ukuleles are a lot of fun. A nice change of pace from guitar. I like picking mine up and trying to learn pop songs on it. I'm terrible but it's a good time. Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam did a solo album using a ukulele and that helped the resurgence. But that isn't the sole reason.

BTW, I think brother Iz's version of Wonderful World is fantastic.

16. tweeddeluxe

tweeddeluxe Tele-Afflicted

Several years ago, while fairly uninterested in playing guitar, I purchased a cheap uke after watching some vids on the utoob. I ended up getting a mid-level solid mahogany uke. As you might expect, the difference in sound between the two is significant. Sure they're plinky, trebly sounding, with little sustain, but also darn fun to play.

Ukes are particularly suited for old timey songs, especially happy ones, xmas songs etc; imo. These songs are not your typical three-chord rock or blues, in fact, many are quite complex. It's fun learning these songs on a simpler instrument--really gets the fingers moving--and expands your mind.

The ukulele re-kindled my interest in playing and helped me get past a learning plateau.

17. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's cool!

18. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

However, they can be dangerous.

Attached Files:

20. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

uke's not foreverybody

This young lady writes and plays pretty much on uke. Amanda Lynn Boisen.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.