1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What are your thoughts on the ukelele?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Colo Springs E, Sep 11, 2014.

1. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Fun little couch instrument.

2. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I love the uke and got into it a few years back. In fact I began playing it when my dad was dying... he wanted to learn to play it, and I tried and tried to help him (I was just teaching myself as well), but he just never could get the knack, though we had fun trying :D

I still have a couple ukes hanging and play them now and then, but for a year or two almost all I played was uke. It's a very sweet instrument IMO. In fact you can learn a lot about the guitar playing uke chords and adapting/inventing stuff. George Harrison was a huge uke fan and had ukes around for when his pals like EC came over, he'd hand them one and they'd jam.

This was my dad's favorite song (I love it too) so I came up with a simple chord melody version of it:

3. Itwang

Itwang Tele-Meister

My thoughts on ukes are that they are fantastically expressive stringed instruments and that the title of this thread should probably include the correct spelling of the instrument's name. Ukulele. Saying that all ukes sound like poo poo reminds me of my rocker friends who say "Country sucks." Or my country pals who say "Rock-n-roll Sucks!" Ukuleles are just as capable of music as Telecasters. I've got lots of both and they are each enticing in their own distinctly musical way..............

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

""Ukuleles are just as capable of music as Telecasters. ""

not only that... some ukuleles look like telecasters, as well...;)

One I bought for a lady friend recently that I paired with a small amp....... she's still talking about it ... a million brownie points for me... oh yeh...:D

she strings it with a low bass string now... and even talks about alternate tunings/string gauges..... after I explained about getting even tension across the strings and matching up gauges....

she's into it...:cool:

Attached Files:

5. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

No, when slack key guitar became all the rage 20 years or so ago it was "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" front and center.

Then, World Music was all the rage to listen to (I don't mind most of it and I love new rhythms), then the inexplicable swarming to Uke's. They've been around for 100 years or more, right? They haven't grabbed hold of the young people's imagination in all that time - not sure who likes them now, as a group.

And, no, I strongly disagree that "a uke can have all the tonal dynamics of a top notch guitar". I admire someone's devotion to the instrument for saying that .. but, really? The range of tone is definitely wider on a steel string guitar and given their superior volume, I would have to think the dynamics once again have greater range with a guitar.

I would agree that many of them in circulation or not the best representation of what a good uke can be like and I would be intrigued by a quality sounding one. I guess I like more strings and at least the lower pitched ones to be metal-wound.

6. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Tele-Meister

This is like saying, "I hate the tuba because it doesn't have the same tonal range as a guitar." You've missed the point completely. Range and dynamics are different!

The instruments obviously have a different tonal "range". That wasn't the statement made. A high quality wood instrument has "dynamics" of tone (relative to its "range") that a poor quality instrument does not have. It's referring to the timbre and overtones that the instrument produces.

View that last video that I posted and if you don't agree that Jake Shimabukuro is able to bring out all the dynamic tonal qualities through the uke that the best flamenco guitar player can coax out of their instruments, then you have a tin ear.

7. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Just like any instrument, when they are played well its a beautiful thing. I have a Gretch Resonator Uke I bought around last Christmas. Its fun to plunk around on but I definitely wouldn't spend any real money on one. The local ma and pa was selling the bajesus out of them and is now getting out of them thinking that the popularity has peaked. He did the same with 7 strings. As soon as the first couple came back as a trade-in he knew it was time to get out of them.

8. Valvey

Valvey Tele-Holic

It has the ideal pitch register and volume for vocal self-accompaniment. That's why George Harrison was so fond of them

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

This here. I don't listen to metal for example, but I'm not gonna rag on guys that play it. It's their thing, and if it works for them, that's great. It's the same with the uke, or banjo, or anything else.

10. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Uke's died when Tiny Tim went tip toeing through the tulips playing one.
    After that they were seen as a toy or a gag more then a serious instrument. Uke lovers have been battling that sterotype ever since.
    I am not a big fan, but I have seen serious musicians play some serious music on a Uke, so I'm not knocking it, play on.

11. kranz

kranz Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

What's not to like about Ennio Morricone on the Uke?

12. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I can't play one. I did smash one on stage 20 years ago. Wait a sec. Maybe somebody else in the band did. If I had learned to play it, maybe things would have worked out differently.

13. DonMI6

DonMI6 Tele-Holic

They went through a huge resurgence here a couple of years ago, my local dealer told me they had been selling out as soon as stock arrived. There may be a cultural aspect, I often noticed Polynesian guys checking out ukes in the shop, but that wouldn't explain why so many were selling.

I bought a Lanakai tenor myself, mainly to throw in the car when I travel, but I haven't taken the time to get to grips with it.

14. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The fact he's not playing a better sounding instrument, like a 6-string acoustic guitar? :lol:

Sorry guys, I'm not putting down the music played on ukes or the playing abilities of those who play them... I simply don't like the SOUND of them, very tinny sounding (TO ME). It's not 'my loss...' It's not anything I wish to gain.

For what it's worth, I generally don't like the Strat quack sound. My loss? No, not at all... I don't like the tone, and don't WANT to like it.

I asked what you all thought of them... some of you like them. A lot. Some of you, like me, think they sound toyish and weak. From the small sample here, seems most of you largely favor them. That's cool. That's what I wanted to know.

15. Colo Springs E

I'm with you. And I've heard some very nice (and very expensive) custom-made ukes played by an exceptional guitarist... the playing by my friend is amazing, but the instrument itself sounds very trebly and 'narrow' to me. I strongly prefer the sound/tone of a good acoustic, and pretty much anything played on a good quality uke will sound 10x better on a nice acoustic guitar. (again, just my opinion) But clearly, lots of people like them, and love making music on them. That's cool, they just simply don't appeal to me.

16. joaopazguitar

joaopazguitar Tele-Holic

...got it, and agree ;)

Gotta love this forum! :cool:

17. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

george harrison liked 'em, so they can't be ALL bad.

18. Itwang

Itwang Tele-Meister

Obviously ukes don't have the dynamic range of telecasters. Flutes don't have the dynamic range of church organs either. Does that mean flutes and ukes are not instruments? Of course not! That's ridiculous. That's like me saying "what's with Teles? I just don't get it."

When people say they sound tinny and poo poo, they simply haven't heard a nicely crafted uke played well. Check them out sometime is all I'm saying. Playing any other instrument actually improves my guitar playing..........

19. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Ukulele hate, takes the heat off the banjo!

20. Colo Springs E

I dont like to say 'you're wrong' in these types of threads but..... you're wrong. I've heard some very nice ukes played by very good musicians. I dont like the sound. I'm also not.crazy about saxophones, harmonicas or clarinets. I'm sure that I've heard some very high quality instruments played by very skilled musicians, and I simply didn't like the sound.

IT'S OKAY.... we don't have to like it all-- Sheez!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.