1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What are your opinions on a fair price?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Chick-N-Picker, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Most of you know I am looking for a tele. Mainly at this time a 50's classic series lacquer in white blonde, if I hate it then I'll try something else then. So what do y'all think is a fair price...with the hard shell fender tweed case and with out?

When they were new, for I think $900(correct me if I am wrong), did that include the hard shell tweed case, for those that remember? I am just trying to make sure I pay a fair price, plus I'll need an amp too. So, thank you for the replies. I really appreciate it.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  2. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

To me, everyone that is sold used starts out at 50% of retail. You then add / subtract according to condition.

If it did sell for $900 new (the case is only another $100), I would think a very clean example might be worth $600 max. I would think the fair price is somewhere in the $450 - $600 range.

OldDude2, 39martind18, schmee and 2 others like this.
  3. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I have a 2005 Fender Classic 50's in blonde in a tweed case, not original case. I bought it from the Burbank set locker of the movie Walk the Line. I have no provenance of this because I was so googly I didn't get it. I could have bought all the instruments from the movie displayed in front of me. I bought it, cased it and set it aside. I did play it for about an hour first. If I were to sell it I think I could only get $600-650 for it. But not for sale. It has a nice aura about it.

Grateful Ape and Chick-N-Picker like this.
  4. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

They came with a Fender branded tweed case (not a G & G). Good luck finding one for $450. I believe that $700 with the case would be reasonable if you like the guitar, it’s in very good condition, and it has the case.

I’ll add that since they are not plentiful you are probably going to pay a premium if you’re not willing to wait for one at a lower price.

5. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon Tele-Meister

Probably 700 or so is realistic and fair for everyone. They are fairly desirable guitars.

Fretting out likes this.
  6. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

Only two on Reverb.com, but both are burst. Bet the white demands a higher price?

~$803-871.00

7. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

o.k. context; in the age of savage capitalism what ever the market will bear.

sax4blues likes this.
  8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

$900.00 retail price new, with the lower end Fender tweed case. They went out the door for $800.00, and this was in the days before most people got charged sales tax online, if buying from out of state. That said, my local shop would always meet an online price, and would have sold one to me for $800.00 out the door. But I found the fretwork lacking in quality, and the ORANGE (no joke) neck finishes to be absolutely hideous.

They should be $500–$600 guitars on the used market, with the OHSC. I would not put more than $600 into one, including tax and shipping.

FWIW, I have an AV '65 Strat in one of those cases, and I am quite certain that the off-gassing of the foam and adhesives from the case led to extreme and accelerated lacquer checking. This has been a known issue in the past, with some combinations of finishes and hard cases. The most famous example is with early Music Man instruments in certain hard cases sold in certain markets.

9. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

Yeah. As an example used 2016-2017 firebirds are selling for more than what I paid new from GC. The used guitar supply is low, demand is high, and prices are surprisingly higher than the were one year ago.

We are living in different times now.

bgmacaw likes this.
  10. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Instead of trying to find one for 50% of retail (impossible in the current used guitar market), try offering 80% of what sellers are asking.

I think $700 with a case seems to be about market on stuff from that line these days.

teletail likes this.
  11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Reverb Price guide is good. Or Ebay actual sales . To get it right you have to go to details: read the sales ad and what's original and the real condition.
    50's Classic Series:
    Date Condition Sold Price
    3/21/2021 Very Good $850
    3/1/2021 Excellent $950
    2/28/2021 Excellent $965
    2/25/2021 Excellent $600
    2/19/2021 Mint $700
    1/22/2021 Very Good $989.83
    1/20/2021 Mint $1,046.81
    1/17/2021 Mint $809.33
    1/14/2021 Very Good $625
    1/14/2021 Very Good $575

12. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

I just paid $275 for a Classic Vibe Tele with the Pine body. I didn't haggle.
    I will replace the neck with rosewood board and the pickups, too.
    Then I will have exactly what I want for about
    $600.

13. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

My formula for used is:

(Retail Price + Applicable Taxes) x 60%

14. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Indeed. 50s Classic Lacquer is desirable, and discontinued, and not terribly commonplace. A good example will fetch a premium. Last time I saw one listed, it was for about what they sold for new.

Just remember, the quality remains long after the price is forgotten.

You gotta be careful with spec too. Wildwood sold a bunch of these with non-standard fingerboard radius, so that's something to watch out for. Do you want 7 1/4" radius, or do you like it flatter?

15. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Used prices adjust to new guitars "x 60%". Doesn't matter if the original guitar sold new at $300 twenty years ago, when the current 'very similar guitar' sells at $1000 new then that twenty year old used guitar will be running at $600 +/- for demand and damage.

Right now is a seller's market. Some used guitars, especially if you are seeking something specific, are running close to new prices just because of demand.

One of the Youtubers was chasing a guitar and all the used ones were 80-90% of the new guitar price so he called up his favorite online retailer and asked what discounts they were running on the new one. He got a brand new guitar for 70-75% of the new price (and not as a 'youtuber deal').

jman72, DougM, teletail and 1 other person like this.
  16. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Because of I guess the case and the lacquer, and the fact they’re discontinued, I see the MiM Lacquer series are keeping their value better than the non-lacquer versions. 70% new price would be quite reasonable for a minty one I think.

17. Danbgreen

Danbgreen TDPRI Member Platinum Supporter

Check out GC used, they often mislabel Fenders since there are so many models! Although the teles are going immediately these days- definitely due to pandemic induced lack of inventory. I just bought this 60s Classic Lacquer Jazz bass for $449 of the site. It was labeled a Standard Jazz but from the one blurry pic I could see it was a Classic Series, called the GC and then fender who identified it as a the Laquer version from the serial. Anyway like mentioned above the orange tint is kinda ridiculous, the old poly ones were cooler and this bass 455B1C96-33C7-4F35-9D09-1F782C240E5E.jpeg is heavy !

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
  18. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Y'all are all about where I thought to be $600 to $700 with the case. I have found a couple. One dude, wanted $1200. I offered him $700, and explained why. He said he couldn't right now but would keep it in mind. He was friendly about it and didn't seem to be offended at the offer. He has already dropped down to $1000 now. It comes with the case and all the tags and looks basically unplayed in the pictures. He is only 45 minutes from me so I can hold it in hands, before buying. I may offer him $800 (my absolute max) and see if he'll take it, because even though I may eventually find one cheaper, this one I can hold. That will still leave me up to $400ish for an amp.

I also take the point that these are no longer made, and if they are a sought after model that can cause them to hold new value, or even increase to more than what they were new. But I am trying to find one that is a life time guitar, so I am not too concerned with resell value considering I may never sell it. But just in case I despise the guitar for some playability reason, I want to be able to get my money back and move on to trying to find the right model.

Thank you for all the replies so far.

OldDude2 and Danbgreen like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.