What are your opinion of Art & Lutherie accoustics?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by der.ek, Feb 10, 2012.

1. der.ek

der.ek TDPRI Member

Hi there, I'm new here and just aquired some extra cash for my birthday (my parents still spoil me at 25 but I'm not complaining).

I live in Canada and appriciate supporting your own economy any chance you get. I like how their guitars are made in Canada with "95% canadian wood". I've tried playing a few, I think they are decent enough.

I am a new player (one year under my belt after grabbing a CVT) but I am looking for my first accoustic. I saw a local person selling a wild cherry model, it's a mid-brown matte finish, which I think looks great.

SO, are these guitars worth the investment?

PS: what part of them is the 5% of wood not from Canada? The fretboard?

2. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

They are a great guitar for their price point, a great bang for the buck guitar.

studio1087 likes this.
  3. logan2z

logan2z Tele-Holic

I think Godin (the company that owns A&L, Seagull and other guitar brands) makes excellent guitars at reasonable prices. I have a Seagull S6 and love it. It sounds great, is nicely made and stays in tune. I can't ask for much more from a $399 guitar that is made in North America. I've heard similarly good things about Art and Lutherie guitars. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

4. lckyjcky

lckyjcky Tele-Holic

You dont buy a godin guitar for investment. Some of the old Martin guitars certainly are, but I bet those are out of your reach. Save a bit more monet and invest in gold.

5. skimballc

skimballc TDPRI Member

Absolutely, great guitars for the price. I picked up a used A&L Spruce top for cheap that needed a little work. It has a great sound and plays well.

Another impressive set of guitars in the Godin family is the Norman line. I played their cedar topped B18 and their spruce B20 and loved the sound and feel of both of them too. They are essentially the same as the A&L counterparts except they put a bit more into their appearance. Still affordable, and in the $300-400 range.

I'll add that for a few extra bucks you could go for one of their solid top guitars. The wild cherry model is laminate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it sounds good too.

6. Bohdan

Bohdan Tele-Meister

great guitars for the price!!!

7. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

can't go wrong ...quality instruments, very affordable ...I'd look for a used one , they come up on C/L almost daily

8. Retropicker

Retropicker Tele-Meister

I liked the ones I've played for the money.

9. Drunkinminer

Drunkinminer Tele-Holic

:rolleyes:

You buy a Godin guitar to play the freaking hell out of it. Martins are to be babied.

Besides did you miss the part about where he says he wants to support his OWN economy.

deadicated and Bruxist like this.
  10. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

If not an A&L take a look at Simon & Patrick as well as Seagull. They are all made by Godin over in Quebec and all offer excellent value for the money.

Obsessed, darkwaters and demon like this.
  11. Drunkinminer

Drunkinminer Tele-Holic

I have a S&P and won't look at any other brand of acoustic now. It's one of the best sounding and playing guitars I've ever played.

Bruxist likes this.
  12. stevehyphen

stevehyphen Tele-Meister

A former roommate of mine had a Simon & Patrick with the most fantastic sunburst I've seen on a guitar under $1000. It sounded and played excellent. Not sure what model it was, but what a fantastic guitar.

13. tweeddeluxe

tweeddeluxe Tele-Afflicted

I have an AMI small body with cedar top and cherry body. Very high quality workmanship but a bit overbuilt in my opinion and a tad heavy--no big deal since I bought it to use as a beater blues box. Very comfortable neck with fatter shoulders than most and a wide nut, nearly 1.75", suitable for fingerpicking. I didn't like the stickon raised rosette so I took it off. Setup from the factory was perfect. I think it would be an excellent beginner's acoustic and definitely a keeper. I like it much better than the Seagull Grand that I bought at the same time and sold soon afterwards.

14. zooropamofo

zooropamofo Tele-Afflicted

I have an A&L Ami that I bought to take on a trip to Mexico a couple of years ago. Got it used for $100.00 w/ gig bag. Great little guitar for the money. The build quality was great relative to its price range. My Taylor GS Mini is better built, but 3 times the price.

15. Wailin' Tele

Wailin' Tele Tele-Afflicted

+1

16. bigbandtele

bigbandtele Tele-Holic

I play a Simon & Patrick Woodland Mini Jumbo for live theatre work. Had a B-Band A3t p/u system added to it. My 12 string acoustic is a Seagull. You really can't go wrong with them.

Total monies spent on those two guitars (used) - under $500.

17. Bri-Sonic

Bri-Sonic Tele-Meister

My local guitar shop stocked them about ten years ago and I was so close to buying one. Well made, some funky colours and sounded great. Apparently the importers went t1ts up and supplies stopped. Real shame as it was good to see a Canadian company competing with the Koreans and Chinese.

18. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I really like them but would hold out for the cedar model. Wild Cherry models have a laminated top. The lam top models are pretty nice but the cedar ones can be outstanding considering the low price.

19. Reverbely

Reverbely Tele-Meister

All of those in the family seem to make good quality and sounding guitars for the money. I would definitely hold out for a solid top.

If you want to support a good Canadian maker you could look at Larrivee. Their 03 line is made in Canada. A little more money but a quality instrument.

20. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I never played one I didn't think was easy to play, good value and- crucially- sounded good.

I own an Ami. Good guitar, good company.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.