What are your feelings about a Relic'd Guitar?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Nov 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

I’m usually a pretty nice guy and felt no differently about the way I interacted with MJT when inquiring on them finishing a Strat body in NOS White Blonde for me...but they wouldn’t do it. “Our closet clean is the closest to NOS we get.” They too were very nice about it. So much so that I’m using them right now to make me a guitar in the likeness of Vince Gill’s famed Tele. Worn and chipped to the bare wood in spots. Just cause I wanted to. Ha. And I plan to put my honest to goodness wear on top of the totally dishonest and artificial wear they will add! :D

Attached Files:

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

reliced is an optics choice, just like red, black or whatever.... and just like some like polka dots with stripes... some will also display poor aesthetics in the choices they make for their guitars... but... if they can play the ugly bastuur* who gives a hoot... and if they cannot, really. . who gives a hoot...?

For the record, I don't care for them, but I love to get 'em in for repairs... I don't have to worry about scratchin' 'em :D

rk

hemingway, SPUDCASTER and Greggorios like this.
  3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

My feeling is that one should buy a guitar and play the heck out of it for 20 years & it will relic itself. But to pay extra to make it look old? Nah...

Greggorios likes this.
  4. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I want my new guitars to look new. That's kind of the point after all. The aging will come on it's own

Do you take hammers to your new car ? Dive it through potholes and mud pits then just let it sit ? Or never wash the winter salt and grime off of it ?

Alter likes this.
  5. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’ve got a Clive Brown finished Broadcaster copy which I’ve been offered silly money for. It’s 15-years old and has received many knocks and dings from regular gigging but has received unsolicited offers of more than you would pay for a Nachocaster or CS creation.

:) Peter

6. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

I want my guitars to be nice and shinny, not looking like someone dragged them behind a car.

7. Mr dunlop

Mr dunlop TDPRI Member

I like them both.
    I have a CS 60 strat relic that is an amazing guitar. I like the worn in feel if done right. Just like used guitars, your not concerned if you scratch them or put a ding in the guitar.

Greggorios likes this.
  8. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

I can see the idea of "relic-ing" if it is focused on making the guitar play a little more like one that's been worn in over several years. Maybe wear on the back of the neck and fretboard edges, and maybe a little on the forearm area.

But that's with playability in mind, and you can accomplish that as easily with good planning and design - the relic'd version or not is merely a question of personal preference.

But paying extra for major league fake relic-ing just seems nuts.

And pineapple on pizza is just wrong!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

9. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

ben smith and voskarp like this.
  10. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

Would you send your girlfriend to the plastic surgeon for a relic job?? (See what I did there...?)

Greggorios likes this.
  11. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Don't like them. The better the condition of a guitar, the better the case. I find all these ads especially funny, where they present wear and tear in a used instrument as a plus, "naturally relicked" ;) . You can always get a new guitar and break it with a hammer, nails, belt, etc .. :) . I guess it's also the fake part that throws me off, can't fake the stories.

12. bobk

bobk Tele-Meister

Never had one till recently,but I’m quite fond of it.......feels broken in.....sounds like I wanted it to F7CADA68-ADA5-45E4-9DAE-F5B5A8207FC7.jpeg

Toadtele likes this.
  13. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Meister

Looks like that woman should be more careful when using a chainsaw!

14. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Meister

Serial#?

15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I used to hate them, until I owned one.

Then I also realized when I bought a shiny new guitar it didn't get played because of the risk for scratching. When I played a beat up abandoned guitar I had fixed up so it played like a new guitar, I found I dug in and played better.

So I buy cheap and fix up. A fret level does a wondrous job for playability.

A relic job needs to feel smooth and satin. If you have one with sharp paint flakes and broken splinters you are doing it wrong. Hit it with 800grit. Think broken-in sneakers and jeans.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Toadtele and El Tele Lobo like this.
  16. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

If the guitar's got mojo, who cares?

dlew919, Greggorios and El Tele Lobo like this.
  17. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Meister

I think a relic can look good (and be cool) if it's done with skill and care.

Mass produced ones like MIM Road Worn Fenders are great guitars, but they look more damaged than worn down. Too much wear on too few places. But that comes with the price I guess... It's probably a great place to start if you want to make your own relic job.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

I like it when I see what I know is authentic wear, I think about the patterns of use that caused the wear in its specifics - ring wear on the low-side of the fingerboard, thumb wear on the high-side, forearm wear on the lower bout, the shiny worn wear in its pattern on the fingerboard, fingerpick or fingernail indentations near the bridge or on the pickguard are a huge bonus, the arcs of flatpick wear is not as interesting for some reason. The way the finish starts to look after years of being wiped down and polished is kind of a "secret" glow - nice and warm.

It makes me think about playing, and that's my favorite thing to think about :)

I tend to start critiquing the relic job when I realize it's not authentic wear.

Dings and scrapes and damage and grime are not interesting to me, those are just handling or maintenance accidents. I think I view relicing as damage.

Greggorios likes this.
  19. Telekaster

Telekaster Tele-Meister

I like 'em, but these heavy relic ones are not my thing.
    This Journeyman relic the CS does is perfect for me. The hardware is not too shiny and the finish also very lightly aged. The finish is thin, like the old ones, they feel good. I really don't care for the fingerwear on the maple necks, they always look fake.

Greggorios likes this.
  20. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Depends who's in them, for me...

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.