1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What are your favorite speakers?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Veltek, May 13, 2017.

1. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

I just bought a Mesa Boogie Traditional Rectifier with 4 V30's in it.

I've tested it with my Toneblock 201 by quilter and my Blues JR.

it sounds GREAT and meaty on both. but especially the Blues JR. The blues JR is the tweed one with the Jensen speaker, which ive never had a problem with. For some reason the V30s just sound much more meatier and able to handle Over Drive.

The only other speaker Cabinet I own is a 2x12 with Cannibis rex's. I love them for cleans and slightly driven, but they sound muddy when you really crank an amp or throw some heavy dirt pedals in there.

So, i am kinda curious, what are your favorite speakers? I feel like ive just had my eyes opened to a new world of tone.

2. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I like older Jensen and CTS 10" speakers for clean and bluesy stuff. 12" Greenbacks for rock. However, both sound very distinctive (to me) so are kind of one trick ponies. A really versatile 12" would come in handy in a "do everything" cab/combo... As the C90 in my Thiele continues to break in it is making its case to be exactly such a speaker for me.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I picked up a used Celestion V-Type a while ago on CL. It's completely blown me away. I use it as an extension speaker for my AC15C1. Combined with the stock Greenback the sound is incredible. Great, smooth break up.

Also put an Eminence Legend in my Super Champ XD. Took it to a whole new level.

4. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

I have a C90 in my Mark V combo. I just ordered a head Shell for my Mark V and plan to load the Black Shadow into a 1x12.

I tested the Black Shadow with my Toneblock once and it too sounded amazing. Which is why I started pricing out Ext. Cabs.

5. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I've heard high praise for the Black Shadow but don't have access to one to compare. Let us know how it sounds!

6. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

As far as it being in my Mesa goes, it complements the Mark V well. In a lot of ways I would say it is similar to the V30s, but its hard for me to compare 1 in a combo to 4 in a closed back cab.

After I get it into a 1x12 encloser I will plug it in to a few different heads and let you know how it performs!

7. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Mario Cuomo was probably the best but Bill Clinton came in a close second. I really hate those TED talks.

DSharp, matt117, Jakeboy and 3 others like this.
  8. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I just recently lucked into a couple of old 2x10 cabs loaded with CTS speakers, and they are great for the kind of stuff I play.

I had never even heard of CTS speakers until I picked these babies up. I figured that I would have to replace the drivers and just bought them for the cabs.

The best 50 bucks I've spent in quite a while!

Telegraphonic and BobbyZ like this.
  9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I had a pair of Black Shadows in my Marshall JCM900. The sound was great, powerful, brooding, and on the dark side. I used to stand to the side of the rest of the band and our bass player said it was like I was whaling away in a cave; in a really good way. People used to complement me on the tone.

Beware though. I don't think the modern Black Shadows are the same that I had. Mine were made in the '80s.

Veltek and TakkOne like this.
  10. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Such a tough question. Different speakers for different amps. I tend to like high efficiency in small amps and low in big amps but have found that speakers can be like wine in that what's good one day isn't another. I suppose gear in general is the same way. Lately I've been loving my alnico creamback celestions and I don't think the honeymoon will ever end. Inevitably I think it will though.

11. crusty2268

crusty2268 TDPRI Member

I recently blew a 10" greenback in my 80's Superchamp and put the original back in. It was like a totally different amp and not in a good way, so I wired an extension jack to try other options.
    I had been running a 2x12 EV-L loaded cab with my plexi and find it a perfect match so I tried one with th SC. Have to say the champ never sounded better to my ears. The eq is now usable without treble spikes and the low end is so much tighter. I have also gained more clean headroom and my drive pedals sound all the better for it.
    Speakers make all the difference..!

Bendyha, J Hog and powerwagonjohn like this.
  12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm a big fan of JBL K-120's and EVM 12L's in my Fender amps, but I had a pair of '60's Vox Celestion silver frame speakers pass through my hands that made my AC-15 sound like the best amp in the world. I've never been big on Celestions until I tried those. I only sold them because I was able to sell them for a lot more then I paid for them.

I have an Altec 417-H in my Mesa Boogie MK I that sounds great. I have a few Eminence speakers that sound good. Different amps need different speakers. There are plenty that I haven't tried that I'm sure I would like.

13. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Yeah, it's more like what speaker with what amp. I really love the greenback in the AC15c1 -- put a Gold in there and took it back out in favor of the greenback. I love the V30 in the Bad Cat Black Cat 30, at least I think it's a V30, it's got a Bad Cat Label. And I've had a couple of Blues Jrs that I swapped out with Webers, a ceramic blue dog in one, a ceramic silver bell in the other. Blue for sparkly, silver for punch. Both sounded very good and improved the amp 100%. So I guess I tend to like speakers in the vintage Celestion area. I'd love to do a silver-blue 2x10 cab and try it out with the AC15.

Brian L likes this.
  14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

+1 on all counts. Love EVM 12L's for multi purpose stuff, very versatile speaker. I had some Vox bulldog Celestions that I liked. Right now I have V 30's. Good general purpose speaker with punch for dirt sounds. The old Gauss speakers could be a good sub for EVM's.

Least favorites Peavey Black Widows or Scorpions, E-Series JBL's.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Telegraphonic and J Hog like this.
  15. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

I can say with absolute certainty that the Emminence Copperhead I put in my blackface Princeton Reverb (with MuchXS mods!!!) has been a significant tonal upgrade from the Jensen reissue that was in there.

No doubt the circuit was tuned by Eric to utilize the Copperhead's sweetest characteristics, and that it does!

tonejam likes this.
  16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just a little bit of useless (or not) trivia: The V30s in Mesa amps & cabs are made in England to Mesa's specifications (as are all Celestions made for Mesa), and don't sound the same as other V30s, most of which are made in China (The MIC part isn't why they sound different, though).

17. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I don't currently have an amp or cabinet loaded with any, but over the years I have never been disappointed in a Celestion Green Back. If I had to choose a favorite, I guess that would be it.

However, I don't hold loyalty to speakers and I don't chase tone with them.

If I like the sound of an amp I buy it and use it with the speaker it has... I don't buy it with the thought that a new speaker will make it better. I'm not saying it won't, I'm just saying I couldn't be bothered ;)

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  18. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

How about the V30's in the Marshall Cabinets? Are they close to orginal, or are they voiced specifically for marshall?

19. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

Well, I am wanting to spend less money, and real estate on combo amps! Which is why im curious about what other speakers people like to use as I think for the most part, I am done with combo amps. That is of course unless I come along a really sweet deal for a Bassman or a Bluesbreaker ;)

20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I believe they're also proprietary. Not made in England, though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.