What are your favorite non-Fender guitars?

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Alvarez-Yairi DY-85
Gibson SG (owned two, both cherry)

DY-85.jpg

Last edited:

Unionjack515

Tele-Afflicted
Oof this is tough. I only have a few Fenders, though a good chunk of my guitars are in the Fender style. I think my favorite non-Fender is this R8 which I’ve put so much love and attention into. It’s got my favorite set of PAF-style humbuckers in it and wiring harness with some vintage components.

upload_2021-10-14_19-15-0.jpeg
upload_2021-10-14_19-15-0.jpeg

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
I've got a Guild F30 that's just a wonderful old guitar. It had hung in a pawn shop for many years, and I bought it at their closing auction dirt cheap. Somebody had written I hate you across the body with black marker. Removing that was an experience, you can still see it faintly if you hold it just so and know where to look. It had a broken tuner, and tracking down a match for it was also an odyssey.

I've also got a Starfire, and a Les Paul Classic 60s that are great guitars. There are many others, of course, But I think the Guilds and the Les Paul are standouts.

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Best for last maybe?

But we love all our children.

That is beautiful!

The best one is whichever one that is in my hands at the given moment! But overall I tend to gravitate toward the McCarty and the Custom 24-08 (middle of the first picture). The 24-08 was supposed to the "The One," I special ordered it to get everything the way I wanted and waited a year for it to be built and shipped, but the McCarty was my second choice and the store owner remembered that, and ordered one exactly as I had specced the one I was contemplating when I decided to go with the Custom. When he told me what he had ordered I put money down on it right then and there.

clingin_on

Tele-Meister
Oof this is tough. I only have a few Fenders, though a good chunk of my guitars are in the Fender style. I think my favorite non-Fender is this R8 which I’ve put so much love and attention into. It’s got my favorite set of PAF-style humbuckers in it and wiring harness with some vintage components.

View attachment 909695 View attachment 909694

First off, I had an old Samick "Les Paul", circa 1980. "The Samick". It was ebony, it sounded great, and I should never have done what I did to it. My point is I really like an ebony Paul with faded binding.

What's going on with that switch cover? Is it relic'd? Is it my substandard phone?