What are your favorite Foreigner songs?

peteycaster

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Quite a few years ago an aquaintance showed me an album by a band called Black Sheep. The lead singer was Louis Grammatico. He later obviously anglicised his name and took up with Mick Jones (ex Spookytooth) and formed Foreigner. I never did get to hear the Black Sheep album. Do love Foreigner though.

Oh yeah, Feels Like The First Time and Starrider.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
I know me some serious Aussie folk music. It sounds like you do too.

what are your favorites?
It's been so long, most of them I heard when I was a kid. There was one about clipping sheep, and one called My Boomerang Won't Come Back. And of course Kookaborro.

dswo

Tele-Holic
Like the synths on both of these songs. (Lyrics, melody, and singing are good too.)

Last edited:

Telefan65

Tele-Meister
Favorites?
As I write this listening to “Rev on the red line” from Head games LP. I will say this,
All tracks from 1st 2nd & 3rd albums. When they stripped down to four members for the album “4” I lost interest.

Telefan65

Tele-Meister
I saw them in their heyday. Cheap Trick opened. I liked CT a lot better.
Hmmm.
I like their melodies, and their musicianship is fine, but I loathe their lyrics.
Overwrought, macho, predictable lyrics, sung like their singers were in some kind of physical pain.
Hmmm.
Urgent, I guess.
The bands lyrics fit me at fourteen in 79’ industrial mechanics at school by day and (Me a Honky tonker) pulled into playing bass and being front man in a Rock n roll band by night. I was more rev on the red line than urgent.🤣

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
Quite a few years ago an aquaintance showed me an album by a band called Black Sheep. The lead singer was Louis Grammatico. He later obviously anglicised his name and took up with Mick Jones (ex Spookytooth) and formed Foreigner. I never did get to hear the Black Sheep album. Do love Foreigner though.

Oh yeah, Feels Like The First Time and Starrider.
They used to play at my high school. You could sort of tell Lou had it going on. They sounded a lot like Free.

The story goes that Spooky Tooth was playing in Niagara Falls and at the after party, a local promoter played the Black Sheep record.

A while later, they'd broken up, Lou was driving a truck. Mick was putting Foreigner together, remembered Lou's voice and called the promoter and asked who that was, and if he could get in touch with him. Lou flew to NY, and that was that.

I had the honor of working with Lou on his last solo record, that he made with his brothers on bass and drums. Nice guy, and altho his range has diminished, it was a real thrill to hear that voice coming back at you.

Recording nerd note - Lou still has the Klaus Heyne-modded U-87 he's used on every vocal since the 1st Foreigner record. Brought it in in a plastic grocery bag, with multi-colored hair ties on the shock mount. (G)

peteycaster

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
They used to play at my high school. You could sort of tell Lou had it going on. They sounded a lot like Free.

The story goes that Spooky Tooth was playing in Niagara Falls and at the after party, a local promoter played the Black Sheep record.

A while later, they'd broken up, Lou was driving a truck. Mick was putting Foreigner together, remembered Lou's voice and called the promoter and asked who that was, and if he could get in touch with him. Lou flew to NY, and that was that.

I had the honor of working with Lou on his last solo record, that he made with his brothers on bass and drums. Nice guy, and altho his range has diminished, it was a real thrill to hear that voice coming back at you.

Recording nerd note - Lou still has the Klaus Heyne-modded U-87 he's used on every vocal since the 1st Foreigner record. Brought it in in a plastic grocery bag, with multi-colored hair ties on the shock mount. (G)
Great story. Thanks for the info.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I like all them British Beatles and Rolling Stones songs as far as songs by foreigners.

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I loathed this band from the 1st time I heard them to this day. Cheap studio fake 70s rock band puke.

Blackmore Fan

Friend of Leo's
I loathed this band from the 1st time I heard them to this day. Cheap studio fake 70s rock band puke.

I liked them, for what they were worth. They could write "pop" songs and yet include enough guitar-work to make sure people like me would take them semi-seriously. "Long Long Way from Home" was a pretty great example.

peteb

Poster Extraordinaire
It's been so long, most of them I heard when I was a kid. There was one about clipping sheep, and one called My Boomerang Won't Come Back. And of course Kookaborro.
its ‘click goes the shears’

you got it!

peteb

Poster Extraordinaire
What I like about Foreigner and this thread is that so many people had experiences that they could relate to Foreigner songs.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
No minced words. Anytime I can be at the controls, if any of their music comes on, I turn it off. I do not like their music.