1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What are your audition 'red flags'

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by briany, May 17, 2019.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

my pet peeve period is no prep. Worse, someone spending 5 min with a tune thinking they have it down then faking it the rest of the way. If someone coming to an audition has been sent a short predetermined list, and they are not prepared or are attempting to FAKE it , or says, this is how I always play it, then indeed that shoulds be followed by " thanks for coming ".

Auditions are about TWO things and TWO things only.

The one auditioning needs to meet the expectations of the band

The band must meet the expectations of the one auditioning

everything else is "Mud on the Tires"

Random1643 and teletimetx like this.
  2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I'm way too tolerant, for way too long with these things. But things that turned out to be red flag indicators:

couples - you and the band are always outnumbered
    politics - self explanatory
    drugs or excessive alcohol - self explanatory
    perfectionism - obsessed with exact replication of cover material
    hygiene - not publicly presentable, and repulsive
    money issues - this one's tricky, because its not about income levels, but about compulsion and irresponsibility, also possible drug issue
    arrogance - inflated self-image
    delusional - dismisses the complexity of a tune or artist, while obviously not having the chops
    optimismalism - unnaturally assumes everything will be ok and fix itself, see delusional

I tend to be a little optimistic, assuming anything can be fixed with enough time and effort, but with bands, time is about the most important thing. 4 or 5 guys that hit it off quickly, allows a band to get a band sound before lots of baggage and neurosis sets in. 4 or 5 guys that have to work for 6 months before being ready for a gig, opens the door for lots of bad things to happen.

TequilaCaster likes this.
  3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Ha ! It's great to be optimistic . But typically if there are issues from day one, without clarity, its the unknown assumptions that take over and rule the day !

IF it is not made clear what the expectations are , from the 1st minute , there will be no expectations at all. This is how people end up NOT FRIENDS anymore.

"Nobody ever told me I had to xxx..."

IF I knew this I would not have bought a new guitar and amp ".

"You guys suck, now I have to find a new band ".

4. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

It’s difficult to audition someone and it’s difficult to go audition for others.

A band is no joke. You have to really trust your brothers because you will go through hell together. I feel like many people do not take this as seriously as they should, which is why many bands put their nightcap bonnet on the pillow.

When you bring someone new in, they better be team-oriented. If you are the newbie, you better be squared away and ready to learn.

If you ever get the feeling like there are no brothers in the room, then you are sisters.

T Prior likes this.
  5. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Red Flags....
    • Showing up late
    • Not prepared
    • Chasing gear problems, without knowing how to solve it QUICKLY!
    • Arrogance... (there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance)
    • Bad tone.... too loud... over playing
    • Little to no personality
    What you often don't learn right away are the dark sides. Here are a couple of dark sides that would lead to an instant removal.
    • Substance abuse. I have no problem with people indulging on their time... or within reason at a gig or rehearsal. But if your addiction becomes my problem... it's over!
    • Violent outbursts and anger issues (this would also include domestic violence that doesn't happen directly in front of the group)
    • Illegal and/or immoral activities. eg: I have no patience for racism, misogyny, Antisemitism, Islamophobia, etc... etc...

6stringcowboy and outbreak like this.
  6. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

unless you're bono, bringing any kind of flag to an audition is just asking for trouble.
    pfft

outbreak likes this.
  7. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

enjoys wearing a dress, isn't a girl, likes to hop around like a kangaroo on meth.

updates facebook page in the middle of a song. keeps texting the drummer for the lyrics.

wants to leg wrestle to figure out the split..

Digital Larry likes this.
  8. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Afflicted

Has intolerant views and opinions regarding other peoples life choices...

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I'd swear some of the posters in this thread have been in bands together.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  10. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I think that word that starts with INT is triggering me, please stop using it....

11. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic

Well, I've never auditioned anyone for a band but...

I audition people all the time. Shop owners and tradespeople, professionals and the like, for whatever it is that I want from them. If I get a negative feeling, I won't be back. Even if they're "the best". If I don't like them, I don't like them.

I did audition for a band ... twice.

In one case, a favor to a friend, I was asked to do so in a live performance setting. I hated the material they were doing so when invited to take the front (I'm a side guy) I called out a song and key, and then proceeded to play out of key and tune. Deliberately.

I failed the audition. :)

In the other, everything went well in that they liked me and my playing, but ....

It was a husband / wife based ensemble and I couldn't stand the tone and timbre of her voice. It would have killed me to do an entire set, but a whole night? Just kill me now.

So after accepting the gig, and then thinking it over on the way home, I called them and passed on it.

Again, circumstances where the auditioned, becomes the audition-or.

12. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Drummer e-mails a setlist, first song is a Jimmy Buffet tune --- Margarita Bell...

Can't even get the name of the song right, must really suck, went to the session anyways.

Had nothing better to do and you just never know but I was right - useless.

13. briany

briany Tele-Meister

The opposite is worse, though. The, "hey, man, I play this song my own way...", which 95 percent of the time is translated to - "I didn't bother learning the material and am busking it."

It's great if you can take a song and use your talent to alter it in pleasing ways. It sucks if you take a song and use your lack of talent and time to make it into something basic that sucks all the life and character out.

sequencepro and Mid Life Crisis like this.
  14. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Now that sounds ahead of its time.

15. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

My audition red flag is auditioning. I don't do it. Been there, done that and have no urge to do it again. Reason being that even if an audition shows that there is musical potential all relationships including musical depend as much on the people involved as the music. I've always had better luck networking and sitting down with other musicians informally without commitments and letting it either grow or die organically.

6stringcowboy and Alter like this.
  16. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I'm over 60. I have a beard. I wear glasses. I'm bald. I play a solid body guitar made in California. Boy am I lucky I'm in a band gigging 50-plus times a year and don't have to ask you for a job.

Sometimes we play that "loser" song by TDD.

sequencepro and brookdalebill like this.
  17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Me too!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.