What are your audition 'red flags'

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by briany, May 17, 2019.

1. briany

briany Tele-Meister

I like those guys who say they'd like to try out for your band but then tell you that they're only available to rehearse every 3rd Wednesday after a full moon from 7.05 PM to 7.03 PM. Over Skype.

Another poster griped about pre-interviews, there. Yeah, it sounds like a pain in the a$$, but maybe they do that because they've been burned before by auditionees not being upfront on certain matters at the quick pre-rehearsal communique or at the rehearsal itself. For example, my old band brought aboard a new bass player, and it became quickly apparent that he was just using our band to plug the gaps in his date book, and he poached our drummer for his main project, to boot.

nojazzhere and bftfender like this.
  2. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

I was auditioning for a rock band and had only played 1 song when the band leader got really excited and asked me if he could put a band bumper sticker on my car. They were all pretty cool dudes, so I was like "yes...sure" just to be nice. I forgot about it until after the audition, go out there and the "bumper sticker" was in huge letters all across the upper half of my back windshield. lol That butt-ugly sticker was a nightmare to get off and ended up on my car a lot longer than I was with the band....I guess that was a pretty literal bad sign of things to come.

On the other side of things, a band I was in was running auditions for a country lead vocalist. The only guy that could carry a tune, didn't mention that he was living in his car with his whole family until several weeks after the audition...it was in the winter. Immediately before this revelation I had let him borrow one of my acoustic guitars. We all tried really hard to be a good influences and have some empathy for those folks, but he couldn't memorize lyrics to save his life and ended up wasting like 6 months of our time. I think one of the guys in the band even gave him a couple hundred bucks. Singing in a country cover band should have been so far down on his priority list that it was infuriating to watch. Every single week was a new disaster. I try to be a bit more hands-on with auditions now.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I forgot one. A group I played with was auditioning a new bass player. The guy we chose played well, and knew most of the songs in the audition. After he joined, he gradually showed his intolerance for those who didn't do things the way he thought they should be done, in the political sense. Gradually his anger issues began to show. I gave notice for a variety of reasons, and on my very last night, he flipped out on me during the last song of the last set. I beat a hasty retreat that night, as I thought he might become physically violent. I stayed in touch with the singer, and he later informed me of a weird, sudden departure by this bass player some months later. to keep it brief, his reason for leaving was an obvious lie. I told my singer friend this. He later found out I had been correct.

Also, as we went along, he quit learning the tunes he needed to know. He *never* was able to correctly play Tulsa Time (it can't much easier than that) but the fact that it was a four measure phrase, with three measures of "E" followed by one measure of "B" really tripped him up, no matter how much time we spent with him on it.

Anyway, short of some sort of interpersonal diagnosis of personality test, how would we have known?

4. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I won't try to tell you it isn't fraught with difficulty, but adopting that attitude is sort of like reading a book on shark attacks and deciding you won't swim in the ocean anymore.

Don't let it ruin things for you.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  5. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

Over 50 but still wearing an ACDC T-shirt.

3-Chord-Genius and duzie like this.
  6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Over 50 wearing shorts, T-Shirt and a baseball cap looking like an adult version of Beaver Cleaver.

7. Masmus

Masmus TDPRI Member

We were looking for a third guitar. I emailed songs to this guy and later talk to him on the phone to set up a jam. While on the phone he tells me my singer is no good and he has some one that can do better and then wants me to rent a rehearsal space for the whole band so he can decide if we are good enough for him since he can bring to the table his fantastic songs (our first album came out in the eighties and got radio play). He owned his own company and it was obvious that he had to be in charge.

8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I want but two things: Play Live, Record.
    I ask a LOT of questions to sus out the good from the bad.

My first line of questions revolve around up and coming shows and, what the Band is all about.
    Past shows?
    Rehearsals?
    Equipment? Anybody know how to ring out the feedback in the monitors?
    Mic the Drums?
    I do.

But, in the end, there is no reward without taking a risk.
    YEP!!!

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmm... I actually might pay to download that.

10. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Showing up naked

RoyBGood and Dr Improbable like this.
  11. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

Isn't that pretty much the guitar forum demographic???

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Poops on stage......not making it up......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.