1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What are your audition 'red flags'

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by briany, May 17, 2019.

1. briany

briany Tele-Meister

In the case of either auditioning yourself, or auditioning someone for your act, what are some hints that would disqualify someone even if they did everything else right?

2. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Bad or no personality.

String Tree and nojazzhere like this.
  3. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Prima donna whining would be a red flag for me. But mostly I want to be with people who get along, or get along great, and who all pull their own weight. And know how to read email and a clock.

4. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

Playing way too loud. Talking over people when they are talking (I understand it's easy to accidentally talk over someone when trying to get in a word edgewise, but I mean a consistent pattern of talking over people). Playing loud when people are trying to talk about the song/arrangement. Showing up way too late. Anything that would indicate that this person won't be a good fit at the gig and make life hard for everyone else.

5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

Any variation on being a *****.

Really, assuming the player is at least competent, any problems will fall under the above.

Matt G, Wildcard_35 and dannyh like this.
  6. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

If they need a ride to the audition.

7. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The singer's girlfriend giving instructions is usually a good indicator that you are in the wrong place.

sequencepro, Cerb, Luthi3rz and 16 others like this.
  8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Showing up unprepared as far as knowing what material was going to be covered.
    Lateness.
    Lack of attention to tuning.
    Excessive fiddling with amp/effect settings.
    Timing issues.

In short, anything that slows down or stops forward motion of the project.

- D

9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

I do wonder why people choose me or have stuck with me in bands for years. :) I like to think they can’t do without my talent. But it may just be because I usually have the PA.

I do tend to let a lot of the stuff wash over me as I’ve got older. Everyone has their own issues. Sometimes we see inflexibility in others when it really is in ourselves.

If people are enjoying it in their own way (and can play in time and tune), and there is good discipline when it’s really needed, I can let a lot go.

10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Red flags.

Band I'm auditioning for: intoxicated players/singer, dirty practice space, waiting for drummer to show up, BL 'ready to take it to the next level'.

Auditioning for my band: Name dropping, too early on the 'suggestions'. For singers, limited musical knowledge, doesn't play an instrument. Merely been told by friends that they 'have a nice voice, and should sing in a band'. My bandmate and I both sing, so this less of a current concern.

I'm only in hobby bands with friends, currently. Hang is #1. So all this is mostly non-issue. Folks with above issues would not be be people I would choose to hang with, anyway. More leeway with singer experience, however, as real singers are hard to come by, and I can sing ok. Performance is not my top priority currently. If it was I would be doing things much differently, and probably with different players.

Nightclub Dwight and nojazzhere like this.
  11. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Obvious liars...excessive name dropping...slovenly appearance.

Auditions are basically job interviews

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A drummer showed up for an audition 20 minutes late and drunk. It was weird because I'd worked with him before and he was always early and very professional. There's a bar a block away and I know he popped in there and had a few before coming here. "Next."

13. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

They show up with their girl friend (it's been a while since I've been in a band)

8trackmind, trahx, Bassman8 and 3 others like this.
  14. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

Clown makeup. Keeps referring to Kazakhstan then winking. Interest in piercings extends to railroad spike through skull. Drives a Cat D9 with tinted windows. Has none of the ukulele chops promised in pre-audition communications.

TequilaCaster, Toast, Matt G and 11 others like this.
  15. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Sounds...oddly specific.

Don't leave us hanging, bro!

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The “leader” is over 60, bald, goateed or bearded, overweight, “reader” glasses in place or on black T shirt, and worst of all, he’s playing one of those California plank guitars.
    Losers!

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

ALL OF THE ABOVE.....but if I had to choose only ONE, I think I'd go with not being prepared. It's been a while since I "auditioned" anyone, but when I did, I always gave them a short list to be ready to play, as well as what "version" of a song, and the key we did it in.(in case that could be in question) I didn't expect them to NAIL it first time, but at least know what was coming.
    The "no drunks" simply goes without saying.....as does someone coming in and try to "hijack" control. They also must be able to take constructive criticism, given in a kind and considerate way. A new band member should be able to "blend" into the band, at least initially.
    And lastly, (and this may be the hardest to achieve) a new player should have similar goals and "musical philosophies" as the others. It doesn't do ANYONE any good to audition someone who wants to do "sloppy, haphazard" versions of songs, and play out three times a week, when everyone else wants focus and precision on the songs, and play out twice a month. Yeah.....it can be pretty frustrating!
    Years ago, my band was auditioning bass players. A guy came in, and started making forceful directions and instructions, to the point of telling US what parts to play on our own songs. It was almost amazing. He was found and brought in by our other guitar player. Turns out, the bass player was auditioning the guitarist for HIS band, and we were just being used to help with that. Needless to say, when I found out, I severed all ties with the guitarist. Apparently, it didn't work out for him, and when he called a few months later, wanting to get back together, I declined. Life's too short to spend it with jerks....IMHO. ;)

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Wildcard_35 likes this.
  18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

-under 40 refers to being 'in nam'
    -any song discussed, he/she references the artist by first name only
    -we'll only be using tube amps, right'
    -asks if we have any cigarettes multiple times
    -brings comfort animal
    -talks a lot about his blood sugar and eats something after almost every song
    -parks on the lawn instead of in driveway
    -frequently references his old band with the initial remark 'yeah, those aholes'
    -texting during song on flip phone
    -has someone show up during audition looking for him
    -says something along the lines of 'you guys are great, well except for (points at drummer) there is no way I am gonna be able to work with you, do we have a different drummer?'

19. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You tell a drummer, "come in after four bars," and he replies, "I'm not a counter!"

(Yes it happened.)

Toast, 8trackmind, asatfan and 4 others like this.
  20. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

Huh, didn't realize that one would be censored. Can also be used to describe what one does with a needle. Rhymes with "stick".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.