what are your 3 favorite movies

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele man, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Flipped Mustang

Flipped Mustang Tele-Holic

Magnificent Seven
    Godfather part 2
    Original Planet of the Apes

2. upplehoy

upplehoy Tele-Meister

1. natural born killers
    2. pulp fiction
    3. from dusk till dawn

but also everything by ken loach

3. Plastics71

Plastics71 Tele-Meister

in no particular order.....

1) Goodfellas- "as far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster........"

2) Godfather 1 and 2- to me, it's one film. With or without the version in chronolgical order.

3) The Graduate- Yes, that is the significance of my username..and the 71 being the year I was born. Suburban middle class apathy at it's finest. Oh how, I tried to live like Ben right after graduation- lied around, drank beer by the pool in wrap around sunglasses. Unfortunately my dad's partner's wife did not look anything like Anne Bancroft, so I stopped there!! :lol:

4. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

You really have to see it at least twice. The first time I saw it, I was a little disappointed, probably because it's a bit of a shaggy dog story and the end is satisfying in a traditional sense. Now, I love it and watch it all the time. It's very well-written and acted and has an overabundance of quotable lines. I sincerely believe Jeff Bridges deserved an Oscar for his performance, but A) the film was not on the critical radar that year and, B) the Academy tends not to honor comedies for the big awards.

The film is obviously a slacker take on Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe, from the title (a riff on "The Big Sleep") to the plot, which seems to be loosely modeled on "Farewell, My Lovely."

Someone else mentioned "Office Space." While it's not what I'd call a great film, it is a film I love. Everyone should check it out, especially if you've ever worked in a cubicle.

Recently, VH1 did "I Love the '90s." When they turned their attention to the films of the year, they ignored the Oscar winners and traditional critics' favorites and highlighted films like "The Big Lebowski," "Office Space" and "Fight Club," the latter of which I believe is one of the greatest films of all time and will one day be recognized as such. These films have stood the test of time (so far). The critical faves are largely forgotten.

5. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

It's a Wonderful Life

Someone should mention "It's a Wonderful Life." People take it for granted because it got overplayed in the '80s and '90s and put it down for its sentimentality, but it really is a great film and Jimmy Stewart -- one of the greatest film actors of all time -- gives a great performance.

6. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't get it....

.....there are lots of Christmas movies--sappy as they may be--that I like. But watching this movie is like going thru a root canal for me. Jimmy Stewart? Perhaps a good actor, can't stand his over-the-top work in this thing, and that voice? Ugh!
    -Eric

7. blue water girl

blue water girl Tele-Afflicted

Re: It's a Wonderful Life

One of our favorites! It's not Christmas time without it! Brent and I watch this every Christmas Eve while we wait for the kids to finally go to sleep so Santa can leave the presents. I still cry every time at the end. But my favorite holiday movie is Chevy Chase Christmas Vacation and Brent's is A Christmas Story. One of our alltime favorites is Best of Show, or anything by that ensemble like Spinal Tap or Waiting for Guffman. He's a real movie buff though, his favorites are always changing. He likes alot of dark sad "profound" type movies, like The Pianist, American Beauty, and even those with subtitles, and totally opposite of that he and his brother could watch Monty Python movies all night long. I always want to go see something that is going to make me laugh like Along Came Polly or Tommy Boy. The original Planet of the Apes came out when I was young and it just dumbfounded me at the end - at the time that movie was extremely thought provoking - and I have always loved it ever since.

8. Madmaestro

Madmaestro Tele-Meister

My 3 Favorites...

My personal favorites are:

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Rock Star

3. Forest Gump

9. snoglobe

snoglobe Tele-Holic

A Christmas Story

All this talk of It's a Wonderful Life made me remember my holiday favorite. I'll take Peter Billingsley and the "Daisy Red Rider BB gun with the 200 shot capacity, the compass in the stock, and the thing that tells time" any day over "zuzu petals". Apologies to Mr. Stewart, but Darrin McGavin fixing the furnace is a hoot. "My father worked in profanity like other artists worked in clay or oil, it was his true medium."

10. dean

dean Friend of Leo's

Tough to limit it to three . . .

All time favorites (pick three from this list):

1. Apocalypse Now - "The horror! The horror!"

2. The Big Lebowski - "Are these the Na2is, Walter?"
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists. There's nothing to be afraid of."

3. Caddyshack - "So I got THAT going for me."

4. True Stories - "This is not a rented car. It's privately owned."

5. Spinal Tap - "Don't even look at it!"

11. genelovesjez

genelovesjez Friend of Leo's

Re: It's a Wonderful Life

Those are the two holiday favourites in our house, too!

It wouldn't be Christmas without them.

12. DAK

DAK Tele-Holic

A Christmas Story links

Also my favorite Christmas movie, with interesting links:

Directed by Bob Clark, who also did Porky's, one of my all-time faves.

Written and narrated by Jean Shepherd, who - as a New York radio humorist - was one of Harry Shearer's early inspirations. Harry was Derek Smalls in This Is Spinal Tap, another of my all-time faves.

Co-starred Darren McGavin, star of Kolchak - the Night Stalker, one of my all-time fave TV series.

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Lady and the Tramp (yes, the Disney one)

Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael-An absolute frigging masterpiece.

Third place is a tie between every John Wayne movie ever made.

Jake

14. Mickey

Mickey Tele-Holic

1) Bamboozled

2) Scarface, (1932 with Paul Muni - this guy was great).

3) Taking of Pelham One Two Three --

Walter Matthau, Robert Shaw, a hijacked NY subway car, fat 1970s ties and hair ...

15. Jason S

Jason S Tele-Meister

My favorites - this week

1. L.A. Confidential

2. The Usual Suspects

3. Spinal Tap

Only three is really hard.

Next week, who knows

16. genelovesjez

genelovesjez Friend of Leo's

Re: A Christmas Story links

Not to mention Black Christmas.

17. DAK

DAK Tele-Holic

Black Christmas?

Genelovesjez got me on that one. Never knew of its existence before. But, according to IMDB, it had major star power: Olivia Hussey, Keir Dulley, Margot Kidder (pre-Lois Lane), John Saxon...

And a promo tag line that went "If this movie doesn't make your skin crawl... IT'S ON TOO TIGHT!"

It appears to have had a title change for the US... to A Stranger in the House, which does ring a bell... but I never saw it.

18. jwhitler

jwhitler TDPRI Member

raising arizona
    this is spinal tap
    the outlaw josey wells(sp?)

19. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Hard Choices

Diva...Lavender Hill Mob...Long Good Friday...Mr. Hulots Holiday...Local Hero...Amazingly good and unique flicks.

Here's three:

1. Seven Samurai

2. McCabe and Mrs. Miller

3. The Conversation

Also...Badlands, Last Picture Show and Destry Rides Again.

20. deanzat

deanzat TDPRI Member

Great lists, people!

I narrowed it down to the first three DVDs I bought. I did so while I was taking a year off, so I watched these films many times. And still can.

Casablanca
    Apocalypse Now
    The Searchers

Lately I've been watching The Fisher King a lot. I think that was Jeff Bridges' at his best, although he's at his best a lot, now that I think about it. I watch a lot of Chaplin, but that's "Gallery of the Greats" level; above mere lists.

DZ

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.