What Are You Using For a Wireless Guitar System?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Dec 29, 2019.

1. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I've got a Fender-branded AKG FWG1010 wireless system (bought it for $99 when Sweetwater were blowing them out) and it's been faultless so far, but I am interested in those new bluetooth mini-systems for at-home fun!

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, that's good to know.

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a samson wireless reciever and the matching transmitter for a wireless head set microphone it connects to the transmitter with a mini XLR jack , I found out that sampson also makes a mini XLR cable with a 1/4" jack to use the same system for wireless guitar, it works great.

4. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I think you are right on that front, I've read that many people don't seem to have issues with active pickups, but the reviews I've read that do have issues, they are very similar to my issues with my Taylor. I love the Xvive regardless, I have had nothing but wonderful experiences using this system with my Strat, and my Gretsch, and SG. I've never tried it with my Ibanez. (EMG active pickups), and that's OK!

5. FredAU

FredAU TDPRI Member

Recent Xvive purchase here, no problems.
    Not recommending them for use in front of 100,000 at Wembley but for home use they are pretty good.

(for Wembley I use cable) :)

6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I've tried 3 different models.
    Line 6 G-10
    Line 6 G-30
    Boss WL-50

I no longer use any wireless because none of these work with the LR Baggs Element active that came in my J-45.
    Let it be known they all worked perfectly fine with every other guitar I have.
    Acoustic and electric. Active pick up or not.

Liked the G-10 because it's small and unobtrusive in the guitar. Sold it to my bass player. After a couple of years he could no longer get a power cable to connect to the base.

G-30 is heavy and has to clip to your guitar strap. Clip broke within a couple months. Had to modify a cell phone case to house it in. Traded it in on a...

Boss WL-50. Loved everything about it except it won't let me use my J-45. Returned it to GC after a couple weeks.

Talked to the folks at Baggs. They sent me some kind of adapter with more and less magnetic rings or whatever.
    No success.

I'd love to use wireless again.

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Line 6 G30. Mine is 12 years old. Countless gigs. Works perfectly.

OlRedNeckHippy and brookdalebill like this.
  8. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Yup. Mine broke. Bought a nylon belt clip cell phone case, cut a hole for the cord, and carried on.

That was 9 months ago. Used it at a gig last week...

Other than the belt clip, the Line 6 G30 has been flawless for 3 years now. Highly recommended.

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have a Line 6 G30 and it gives me fits....I do our sound and sometimes it will work from the floor and sometimes there is a huge delay, which renders it useless.
    On stage also hit and miss
    Now we have other wireless things in the mix so maybe they clash...we have router and a couple iPads connected to it running OnSong and also a qsc board connected to router and thru an iPad to adjust sound from floor.

Maybe just too much sharing the air

10. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got a pair of AKG WMS40 Mini systems waiting to go, but I haven't figured out a way to work them into my system yet. Guess I should put that on my to-do list for next year...

- D

11. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Here are my experiences with the Line 6 G30.
    • Purchased new $170 from MF seven or eight years ago (no idea of current sale price)...coupon, free shipping, etc.
    • Used on 200 gigs or so...no problems
    • Battery life is consistently 8 hours. I replace batteries (pair of AA alkalines) every other gig and just leave a note in my guitar case reminding me of battery status.
    • In one band, the bass player also uses a G30. We just verify we're on different channels...no problems.
    • Audio quality is superb
    • Transmitter seems a little delicate. I baby most of my electronics, so it's held up well for me, but if you were chunking it in and out of a gig bag night after night it may not take the abuse.
    • I don't always use it. This may seem counter-intuitive, but on some gigs it's easier just to use a cable.
    Hope this helps.

Mad Kiwi and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  12. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

13. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

This is the one that I use as well. Very happy with it.

14. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

• Both me, and our bass player have the G30, and both of us broke the belt clip off the same way during a break at a gig. Still wearing it on my belt with the cord stuck in my pocket, sat down in a chair at a table. Unit got between chair's back and the seat, and when I stood up, it broke. Same chairs, same bar for bass player. Same fix too.

15. Pup Tentacle

Pup Tentacle Tele-Holic

I've been using the Shure GLX D 16 for the last year or so. I get about 10 hrs on the rechargeable batteries. The singer/guitarist has one too, no problems with conflicts between the two. After about 90-100 gigs never had any issues. The cheaper ones I have tried had issues with latency, always a delay between hitting a note and hearing it. Shure is definitely expensive but it's been worth it for me.

16. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I don’t wear the transmitter on my belt. Instead I leave it clipped it to the guitar strap.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  17. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

There are some suggestions... I have been down this road and there are a couple forks in the road for a decision. (Remember to pick up the forks as you may need to eat later).

1. Are you a bedroom, friends and family player?
    You can use XVive, and others of that ilk. (I have an XVive and it works great)
    You may get some odd interference if you have wifi access points nearby, flourecent lights, etc. These class can be troublesome in this regard.

2. Are you looking for professional, no-interference, auto channel discovery, etc. Giggable device.

I have a Line 6 Relay G50. I am in a situation with lot's of WiFi, Fluorescent lights, computers, etc. I needed to go this route as the XVive and others were being interfered with.

So the bottom line is you get what you pay for. I spent quite a bit getting to the G50 point.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  18. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

I picked up these NU-X I like'm. 15778205110015711596865807732673.jpg

19. oceanblue

oceanblue Guest

Line 6 Realy G10, works great for me, from tele, to acoustic, to bass, all work fantastic.

20. ripgtr

ripgtr Tele-Holic

Same here. Not near as many gigs but maybe a couple dozen. No issues. Around the house, wandering around, I get a couple walls in between and that can get drop outs, but on stage no issues. We had a wireless mixer, ipads for monitor mixes and lyrics, so 4 or 5 of them, whatever was also in the house, no interference.
    I get a bunch of gigs on the rechargeable battery. The only issue is that once I had to recharge it during set up, I had been using it and it was so long since I'd charged it, I'd gotten out of the habit, lol. Charged up by the time we started sound check.

Pup Tentacle likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.