What Are You Reading? Summer Reading List

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
Finished Stephen King's Dark Tower series for winter reading.

For summer I am reading Alexandra Dumas The Count of Monte Cristo.
Only at the point where Dantes makes his escape, but can already tell why Dumas story is a classic. What a writer!

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
I have two Ayn Rand novels(?) laying in the project room to get to. I read Anthem this spring… I really liked it. I have The Fountainhead and another? Maybe Atlas Shrugged?

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
book.jpg

I just finished Kalamazoo Gals by John Thomas. It's the story of the unique ladies and guitars of Gibson Guitars during the WWII years when wartime restrictions virtually forbade production of musical instruments. Despite most of the men going off to war and material being rationed, Gibson still sneaked out a few instruments.

Churchill_History_WWII_6vols.JPG

And now for some light reading. I'm finishing up Winston Churchill's The Second World War series written from 1948-53. After my late father's copies were passed to a nephew before I could get my greedy fingers on them, I tracked down a first edition and my lovely wife bought them for me. At approximately 800 pages per volume, the six-volume set is quite a read. It is fascinating to see him work around state secrets such as the Ultra/Enigma code breaking. But mostly, he brings a view that is both intimate and detached at the same time.

Bob

mycroftxxx

Tele-Meister
The Making Of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. I’m a chemistry teacher so it checks all my boxes for non-fiction.
Rhodes’ follow-up about the H-bomb is even better; there was a brief window where he had access to a lot of Soviet archives and people, so there’s a ton of never-before-published info on the Soviet program, the spying, etc. Fascinating and terrifying.