1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"What Are You Reading?" [Reloaded]

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Anchoret, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Nice one. Hunter Thompson is always a good read. The context of the times is interesting, his savage writing of Nixon is classic. Its an amazing perspective of the '72 campaign. Its been 20 years since I last read this book, and I've been meaning to give it another read again, see how it holds up.

2. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just Kids - Patti Smith's autobiography.

3. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Man, this thing's taken me a long time for a Vonnegut book. My time has been pretty limited, I guess, with school having started, and I'm not a very fast reader anyway.

I was adding up some numbers, though, and thinking that this was Vonnegut's book that he wrote when he was about the same age I am now. He was at the height of his powers, with an impressive lot of long and short fiction under his belt, including several very successful novels. He had successfully dodged the "Catch-22 Syndrome" that had stymied his friend Joseph Heller, and with this book he invented a bizarre narrative perspective--Kilgore Trout's estranged son Leon, killed in a black shipyard accident, speaking from the retrospect of a million years spent as a ghost wandering the postapocalyptic Earth--which Vonnegut doesn't get in a hurry to divulge.

Vonnegut's a thinker, a strong proponent of thinking, and he gave us a load of what he'd been thinking about with that big brain of his: human nature; technology; war; group stupidity; genetics; evolution; the animal kingdom; literature and poetry; death and the hereafter, and so on.

I have several times watched a YouTube clip of Vonnegut in an interview with Charlie Rose, where he "grades" some of his novels, and he comments that sometimes he regards them more highly than the critics did. Galapagos wasn't mentioned, but I think Vonnegut was probably pretty happy with it.

So I'm pretty happy with it, too.

4. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

For the literate gang, and I hope this isn't a violation of the rules, but I just got word that my book, the comic crime novel Don't Be Cruel, has been released as an e-book. Check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Be-Cruel...sr=8-1&keywords=kindle+don't+be+cruel+argento

Or at the publisher's site, Crossroad Press: http://store.crossroadpress.com/ind...ducts_id=527&zenid=pn1ruefamrn4ijd2v2turftin3

And remember, as this thread gets close to 500 posts, the 500th poster will be eligible to receive a free signed copy of the print edition of Don't Be Cruel.

5. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

After a long hiatus form this series, I'm reading The Girl Who Kicked Over the Hornet's Nest. Also a collection of essays by David Foster Wallace - Consider the Lobster. Great!

6. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Hmm, just finished Gregg Allman's bio. Decent, but not great. Got Vonnegut's up next. Still in the middle of a couple of sci-fi things, too. I read multiple books at once. One in the car. One on the ereader. One on the nightstand. And usually another somewhere.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Tecumseh

Newer book, with many versions of his life and demise...

8. José

José Tele-Afflicted

Chesterton, the Complete Father Brown on my Kindle, it's sometime a little bit tricky for my poor english but I don't give up...

9. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

10. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

I concur.
    Frazetta's artwork images are by far the best....IMHO.

There's a plethora of other authors that have taken on the Conan character.
    Referred to as 'pastiches' IIRC...still don't know how to pronounce that one.:)

The only other Conan author I've read is Robert Jordon which I would recommend also.
    I've read countless mixed reviews of all the other authors.

No hijack intended.....back topic.

11. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

A book on Rasputin

12. Rydell

Rydell Tele-Meister

Neil Young waging heavy peace

13. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

Just finishing You're Joking Mr. Feynman, Wolf Hall (and my wife gave me next one for my birthday. Just finished The Potter's Field, an Inspector Montalbano mystery. I'm halfway though Terry Pratchet's Carpe Jugulum. Just started The Girl Who Played with Fire. And on and off with Rome and the Barbarians (something like that; birth of European states) by Peter Heather. I just got the physical book because it's hard to find parts I have already read, and too hard to look at at navigate to and from the numerous maps.

14. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

Buddy Guy's autobiography, When I left Home: My Story.

15. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

We went to San Francisco last week for my wife to run a marathon and went to City Lights bookstore. I picked up a staff recommendation called The Sisters Brothers, a western about two hired killers, one of whom is havings doubts about their profession and who they work for. Pretty good. Read it while I was there.

Also got Kind of Blue - The Making of the Miles Davis Masterpiece, by Ashley Kahn. Enjoying that. Been playing Kind of Blue in the pickup for the past few days.

My wife got me The Face of Battle about the combat experience, written by British military professor John Keegan. Odd one for her to get me; a little dry so far.

16. Brian L

Brian L Tele-Meister

The Hunger Games. My daughter talked me into it. Actually it is pretty good reading.

I love my Kindle, took it on a backpacking trip last week. Light weight and full of books.

Yee Haw!!!!

17. taxer

taxer Banned

Just started the prequel to "Trainspotting":

[​IMG]

18. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

The Sisters Brothers is excellent.

Reminder: Three more posts to someone being eligible to receive a signed copy of my comic crime novel, Don't Be Cruel.

19. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Started this last week. Parts of it are very interesting but other parts are drawn out and boring. All in all, not a bad read.

[​IMG]

20. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

Flew to Las Vegas and read Lee Child's latest Jack Reacher feature A Wanted Man and on the way home read Vince Flynn's Mike Rupp yarn Kill Shot. Up until now the only contemporary fiction I read is Child, but I've read all seventeen. Now I'll go through the Flynn stuff. Mike Rupp seems like my type of guy. So far I'd still put my money on Reacher in a fist fight. The pulp fiction certainly makes the flights go faster and I need not think too much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.