What are you practicing these days?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by basher, May 27, 2020.

1. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

So all our gigs are cancelled and my band is inactive for the duration, and I don't have any new repertoire to learn. I've focused on the band so much over the last few years that I'm feeling a little lost when it comes to playing for myself. The stuff that's appearing under my fingers has gotten weirdly random. I sat down last week and learned the solo to "Hit Me with Your Best Shot" by Pat Benetar. Over the weekend I started trying to work up a jazz arrangement of the Star Trek theme. Yesterday I turned up the repeats on my delay pedal and zoned out on repetitive minimalism for an hour. I no longer know what kind of guitarist I am. I'm thinking this afternoon I might take a guitar outside and learn some bird calls. I don't know.

So what are you guys working on? I can't be the only one feeling a bit musically adrift in isolation. What are you practicing when there's nothing to practice for?

nicknklv, JL_LI and Work_in_progress like this.
  2. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

You can always work on the fundamentals and learning new licks/lines/solos in your preferred genre. I've been working on my technique and Lars Schurse's burning country series on Truefire. I'm also taking Skype lessons.

basher and Rustbucket like this.
  3. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

I started a remote recording project with a friend, so I’m practicing my mixing and mastering skills.

JL_LI and basher like this.
  4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I haven’t played in a band for 50 years so I haven’t run into that roadblock. I play country for my own enjoyment but I don’t find much of the new stuff appealing. I took another look at Act Naturally. You can sing and strum it but it’s not interesting that way. Years ago, I learned it with a pick. Now I can do a lot more on a single guitar finger style. I’m also paying more attention to the notes I want to play. Is the song in a major key or mixolydian? Where should I play a b7 or b3? It’s forcing me to really “hear” what I’m playing and find the best way to play it. I’m also trying to adapt the CHVRCHES version of XO for a single make vocal and guitar. CHVRCHES played it in a BBC live performance with a piano and classical guitar. I love the guitar part but it can’t stand alone. I have to think about what I can keep from it and how I can cover the piano and guitar parts simultaneously in an unfamiliar genre. I’m working from home. I’m not complaining. This gives me a little more time for playing, exploring, and learning. The world passes you by if you stay fixed in place.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    basher and ReverendRevolver like this.
  5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Technique and chasing tone. I did manage to stumble across a song I forgot that I knew just last week. That was fun for a few minutes.

czech-one-2 and basher like this.
  6. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Meister

Hybrid picking. So much free and high quality stuff on YouTube, no joke. Also subscribed to a TrueFire package to learn Josh Smith who is just insanely good with hybrid picking. Also going to finally learn the opening riff to Can't You Hear Me Knocking in open G tuning, it's one of my favorite, if not all time favorite, riff. I know it's not immensely difficult but a blast to play and drive my wife and daughter batty! LOL

nicknklv, JL_LI, basher and 2 others like this.
  7. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

I thought with working from home I’d have more time to practice, but with the kids homeschooling, making 3 meals a day and odd work hours In between it hasn’t been the case. I have been working on triad inversions all over the neck and learning 2-3 new songs to sing each week.

basher and glenlivet like this.
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

The Theremin.

I don''t know if I'm making any music with it yet, but I can dang sure make a dog howl!

9. Work_in_progress

Work_in_progress TDPRI Member

While the gig venues are closed, I'm working on switching from using a traditional amp setup to going direct to the board. Very frustrating! Lol. But I'm learning and getting closer to the tones I want.

10. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I started an online project where I'm producing tracks and getting my friends to sing and play on them. So I've been doing everything from Aerosmith to Dylan to Depeche Mode to Glen Campbell to The Wildhearts. Arranging and programming all this different stuff is definitely keeping me sharp while the gigs aren't happening.

- D

JL_LI likes this.
  11. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green TDPRI Member

I am really directing my practice towards playing from my mind instead of my hands. Really working on listening and playing ideas driven from inside not just some known finger pattern. This in conjunction with my picking hand and sync in general. I am also working on really getting inside the HW diminished scale. I have known it for years but have never really truly owned it.

This along with various tracking projects

12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I'm trying to get good at figuring out my kids video game songs while they're up. When they aren't, I'm trying to replicate steel vibes in licks on a regular 6string, and when I'm too tired to haul the kids upstairs when they fall asleep in the living room, I'm trying (and not yet succeeding) to program non-pentatonic scales into my muscle memory. I think it's the phrygian? The Spanish sounding ones. I cant quite get there without consciously thinking on it, at least some. Infuriating. I can arpeggiate major and minor chords and run through blues scales while falling asleep and not miss notes until I start to slouch over the guitar. (Checked with recorder and live witnesses). But I can't get that autonomous with other stuff. My thinking is I've been doing this too long to not broaden what I can do without thinking. But my autopilot doesn't "record" new scales or 7th/9th chord arpeggiation.

I haven't gigged in so long I'm worried I'll forget how to speak "drummer" and require a translator ;).

(Oh, and I remembered the annoying jeopardy theme while waiting for my kids to switch video games. That's good for making people angry...)

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    JL_LI and basher like this.
  13. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Bebop.

And musical introductions.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  14. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

A lot of Glenn Campbell especially Glenn’s take on the William Tell Overture.

15. TJStone

TJStone TDPRI Member

We play mostly classic rock covers, but the down time has me practicing more and trying to master solos that I thought were too difficult before. Using YouTube more than in the past. Been spending a lot of time watching Guthrie Trapp's videos.

JL_LI likes this.
  16. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I am practicing getting good at super mario world kaizo hacks. That is fun, and almost as rage inducing as practicing with a metronome.

17. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Triads and small chords....

JL_LI likes this.
  18. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Too many things!!

But it's fun

19. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Now, there's an instrument I've been wanting to try.

Peegoo likes this.
  20. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had forgotten all about that RATT "Round and Round" until I saw the commercial having it, and now I can't get it out of my head. It was one of my favorites in the 80's, but I hadn't played it since spandex went out of style. So I figure it was just as good as any other to learn again.

TJStone likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.