What are you practicing at the moment?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by the embezzler, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Hammond melodion and piano parts, and harmony vocals, for a track on a friend's new record.

Guitar and vocal parts on Lucinda Williams' "I Lost It" and The Beatles' "I'm A Loser", for a duo.

Some cross picking patterns on mandolin.

2. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

@ ddewerd ...
    If there's anything in my arrangement that you want to use but can't grab from the vid - just ask me. I keep no secrets.

3. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

trying to play those sort of stuffs

it s quite fun to play ! and i ve never played metal before, so it s all new to me, a bit of fresh air.

4. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Thanks Ken. You've helped me before and I really appreciate it

One of the things that you helped me with was something like "Jazzing up a 12-bar" with the V of a V thing in it. I introduced it to my band and we now have a pretty cool instrumental version of it that we play.

Cheers,
    Doug

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Slightly off topic...

I've been reading this thread, and I think someone mentioned the Blues You Can Use books. The flagship book in that series was my first instructional material. I was a new player, and took my time, going through the whole book in detail. I highly recommend it for beginners (to maybe early intermediate, depending on what you know). The description of how chords are built is worth the price of the whole series. Thanks to this, I've always been confident that I could find any chord, anywhere on the neck, any key. No, not necessarily in real time if it's unfamiliar, and it assumes I know where every note is, but the foundation is there. Very solid stuff, and not dry at all.

6. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

Right now, learning both Bob and Jerry parts for Black Throated Wind.

Song does not have a ton of chords, but where and when they are played, combined with singing in time, over them, makes it a tricky song.

One of my favorites though.

~syf

7. moosie

I'm thinking you could say that about almost any Bobby composition. It's like he was just being ornery. :D

8. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Paul Gilberts appegio part from the song Olympic.

I just rediscovered him a few weeks ago.

I have no structure ... where ever the wind takes me. Before this, it was Jim Campilongos Twister.

9. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, the Hunter/Weir collaborations had some wonky chords and getting the singing parts just right over them can be a little challenging.

I know lots of folks think the Dead tunes were three-chord cowboy songs, and some were. Heck, some were just two chords, and a chorus.

But the Hunter tunes had some meaty lyrics, and digging into them really exposes some wackiness.

~syf

10. moosie

Preachin to the choir here, brother. Fire on the Mountain. To call it a two-chord vamp is .... accurate. And the Mona Lisa is just oil paints.

11. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

I'm practicing anger management at the moment, the wife is nagging.

12. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I heard the Dead live in 1968. They were a much better band then, sort of jazzy, and Pigpen was a pretty decent blues singer. Later, when they started doing a lot of cover tunes, they struck me as a garage band with a zillion-dollar sound system.

13. the embezzler

the embezzler Tele-Holic

Thanks Klasaine for posting his excellent version and reminding me of that thread as well.
    Here's my version. I have a chart of the exact voicing's but am not near a scanner at the moment so I will post that when I am :cool:

14. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

Nice job.

15. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

I'm using the book, it's what my instructor likes to use. So far I like it, but I'm only on lesson 3. I wish I wasn't such a beginner at age 48 and was more advanced like most others that have posted. My goal is to complete the book before the end of the year.

16. moosie

Well, you're ahead of me, relatively speaking. I started playing at 53 yrs old. Took me my first whole year to work through BYCU, and then I did maybe half of More BYCU, and samplings of Jazzin'. Due to chronic illness, I learn a lot more slowly than I used to. But I still make steady progress.

Starting late in life, my main hope is that I still have a lot of playable years ahead of me. How old is realistic? 90? Ideally the last day I play will be my last day on earth.

The folks on here that have already been playing for decades... they have an advantage in terms of how advanced one can get, perhaps. I figure my edge is that I didn't spend the first five years melting my brain, playing Smoke On The Water. :lol:

17. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Finally found a guy in my area and with my skill level (low) to practice with.

Working on Rocky mountain way, and sunshine of your love right now.

18. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Carulli's classical guitar method - played on my Tele.

19. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Learning this one, pedal steel and everything...

20. Danjg

Danjg Tele-Meister

altered sounds, trying to wrap my mind around the concept that all notes are in play over the V7. The freedom is exciting after spending half a decade playing only 5 and 3/4 notes over the A blues but I also like the safety of my A pentatonic...
    That and imposition, how to make the listener believe chords that aren't there were there sort of thing. Mostly trying to work in tritones, normal triads over the tritones and the ii of the tritones. It's fun to take a 1 chord vamp and make it into a dozen chords, then start all over and end up at a totally different set of 12 chords

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.