What are you plugging your Danelectro to?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by tomas83, Sep 12, 2012.

1. tweedtone

tweedtone Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A Danelectro into an EL-84 amp is a glorious thing.

2. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Pardon my French (English) :-D

3. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Yes, it seems that Dano's are really picky. It sounded very different through my Express 112 or CPB150 for that matter, now with the Classic VTX it really is a match. I tried a Super Reverb (I think) at GC and "Blanche" really liked it. I never had the chance with the Pathfinder.

4. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Yes, it surely is. I was pretty confident that I need to buy a Gibson Les Paul BFG and now I'm not so sure about that :)

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

The pickups on those early Jerry Jones guitars are as good or better than any Danelectro pickup ever made - old or new.

I had a real early one for about 6 months earlier this year and I sold it during a period of a lot of guitars coming in and going out over here :rolleyes:...

Really great guitars.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

To elucidate on my previous post, I never noticed that my Danos were picky--I played through my Princeton Reverb II and my DA5, and even through a Line 6 Spider II I had for a while. They sounded just fine. I got my old Harmony, and it sounded best with the Danos. I thought that was the amp being picky. But then...

...I got the Delta Blues and started rotating the guitars through it. Nothing didn't find a good sound, but the Danos just sang. Until tweedtone's post, I hadn't thought about it being an EL84 thing--now I need to try some other EL84 amps to test the theory!

As much of a Danelectro fanboy as I might be, I'm not going to argue that. JJ guitars are what Danelectros would have been if the company had known that they were making something more than cheap student guitars. :lol:

7. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Mine was quite picky when I was looking for a new amp and test drove some amp at GC. It only liked a Deluxe(?) and Eggnater Tweaker. Marshall class 5 was not such a good match, neither a vintage used Ampeg they had in store, Crate V8 wasn't that impressive either or Vox AC4TV. I didn't like the Valvetronix at all. So don't take me seriously Classic VTX is my first tube amp, but that match is really great, it probably would be the 6L6 thing since that Deluxe(?) had them as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.