What are you plugging your Danelectro to?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by tomas83, Sep 12, 2012.

1. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Hi guys,

I'm new here. I have to say I was observing the forum first and it seems like there are many folks on here with knowledge and experience. I'm just curious what are other Danelectro players (if any on here) plugging their axes into.

sent from my diePhone using TDPRI

Attached Files:

2. rwsand

rwsand Tele-Afflicted

Welcome

When I had one (actually the Sears version) I put it though my ancient Premier 88 at home for pleasure and a Vibrolux Reverb playing out. I did use a tube screamer. The combo was awesome for Blues and with the screamer out of the signal chain it was the cleanest thing I ever heard. I'd say stick with Fender for a rich/clean sound if that is what you like. As an aside I have a replacement lipstick pickup I might stick on a project guitar someday.... They are so unique. Enjoy!
    Rob

3. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Lucky guy! All my years I played solid state amps (I was really into metal and other extremes) and as I'm getting older I really dig the vintage sounds and mainly the Fender amps (I want a Bassman bad) I recently sold my 4X12 half stack, it was too loud for living room and I'm not with a band for over a year so just curious what other people use. I recently visited GC with my Danelectro and beside a Deluxe and a little Eggnater nothing sounded good to me.

4. rwsand

rwsand Tele-Afflicted

For home, only, An idea might be to scour various music stores for old Gibson Kalamozoo Dano Silvertone and Premier amps. They are under valued in todays market. You might have to bone up on electronics or get someone to bring them up to speed but that dano begs for vintage. Note, Premiers run hot so I put two computer fans in my 88.

5. TaylorPlayer

TaylorPlayer Tele-Afflicted

When I had one of the Re-issues from the 90's a couple years ago, I liked the sound through my Magnatone Custom 413 (Americana Branded). With the Vibrato on, it sounded pretty nice! :D

6. MonkeyKing

MonkeyKing Tele-Meister

I`ve had four or five of the re-issues - I`ve used Orange, Reverend, and fender vibrochamp, which is what I likes the best with the lipstick tubes.

7. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've had a vintage Danelectro since '85, and a Korean reissue since '01 or so. My main amp is a Princeton Reverb II, and those guitars never sounded really great through that amp. Good, but never great. A few years ago I picked up a '65 Harmony H303C (radio circuit pressboard cabinet cheapo) and much to my surprise, the Danos sounded better than than anything else I had through that amp. Then I got a Peavey Delta Blues 210, and the Danos really came to life. It's a great amp for a Tele, but it's a spectacular amp for a Danelectro. I don't know why.

8. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I had a Korean Ri it sounded really good thru a Marshall Lead 12 combo (jcm800 era ss practice amp) meh thru any thing else I tried.
    Nothing else sounded particularly good thru that amp

9. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Yeah, I came across a Kalamazoo amp on Craigslist, but it is a SS amp and I haven't really found a lot on the net about it. And there is another listing with a Silvertone amp, but it's a little over $300 and that's too much for me now.

10. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Thanks, I admit never heard of it. I'm going to research it now :)

11. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

So far I did plugged her to a Peavey Express 112 and a Crate CPB150 4X12 and she sounded very good through both, but I sold both of the above mentioned so I'm just wondering what is the experience of others.

12. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Hmm the Delta Blues is one of my champs. I guess I should start to save money :)

13. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

i love mine through my silvertone! they were made for each other.

and also my hovercraft...

14. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Thanks for the tip, that might be reasonable, but I'm not such a Marshall fan.

15. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

I've been playing slide on mine through an Excelsior. Sounds fabulous.

16. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Oh I've seen it at GC. Have to come back and try, does it crank or it stays clean? I need some dirt and would prefer amplifier dirt instead of pedal.

17. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Turned up past 12 it gets dirty. I also replaced the stock V1 with a Tung Sol 12AX7 and it breaks up earlier than with the stock tube. Also replaced the 6V6's with JJ's.

18. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Thanks for the tip, sounds good. I'll give it a try :)

19. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

The 6-strings through my Maz Jr., the 5th one made. Single 12" Celestion Vox Blue. The Baritone through a modded Delta Blues 15".

20. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

When I still had my late 90's reissue I mostly played it thru the 70's Hohner SS bass amp I had. I thought it sounded great. A friend was a gigging musician so he had several nice tube amps and the guitar sounded...ok. Just nothing special. In a fit of nostalgia I hooked the Dano up to the ancient Sony reel-to-reel tape deck that was my first "amp" waaaay back in the 70's, cranked it all the way up and TOTAL GARAGE ROCK HEAVEN! Man that thing came alive and made some great sounds. I think Danos are most at home with "cheap" amps. (and yes I blew up the speakers playing thru the tape deck, justlike when I was a kid... only this time my Dad didn't ground me for it)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using TDPRI

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.