What Are You Old Coots Taking For Arthritis?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TC6969, May 22, 2020.

1. johmica

johmica Tele-Meister

I have pretty nasty hip arthritis (putting off a full replacement), and I've had a meloxicam prescription for a couple of years now. If my prescription runs out and I'm not diligent about getting it refilled, I can tell a substantial difference within two days or so.

2. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

I’m no old coot, but I first took some surgical knife, then some bone saw, added with drilling and hammering. The result: P.O.S.

67481FB3-56E2-401A-838F-713DEF568DB0.jpeg

Edit: and yeah, some plastic and titanium was put inside aswell.

fattboyzz and 24 track like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Lifestyle change!

Really though, the list of things to add and things to eliminate is long.
    For meds I do 1300mg of timed release Tylenol at 9AM, 220mg of Aleve at noon, 1300mg Tylenol at 5pm, and 220 Aleve around midnight if not earlier.
    That's my docs preferred max for liver and kidney health.
    I did 1600mg of Advil a day for decades and find that Aleve and Tylenol gets better results with less strain and $$.
    Also a good amount of Glucosamine/ Chondroitin/ MSM.
    Still in pain all day though, just keeps it manageable for now.
    Bummer because I love working, more than recreation really.

Food based includes turmeric with black pepper, lots of garlic, and generally a low sugar low carb diet with lots of fresh raw greens.

The balance of just enough activity without over doing it?
    Impossible!
    Some amount of Yoga too, and while there isn't really Yogic stretches that help osteo arthritis in the fingers, the other part of Yoga is the breathing, which saturates the blood with oxygen, and improves circulation as well as balancing systems that get blocked by chronic joint damage.

When tension exists in some areas, healing is curtailed system wide.
    Pain in some areas cause tension system wide.
    So finger pain may cause neck tension that in turn impedes healing and sort of locks us into the pain cycle.

jhundt and Martian like this.
  4. Martian

Martian TDPRI Member

That
    That stuff IS crazy stupid. But you have morphine?? Wow.

5. Martian

Martian TDPRI Member

I actually think magnets work. They're supposed to help the blood flow due to the iron in your blood. I’ve had arthritis since I was 18 and have done everything, tried almost everything. Nothing stops it but some things help. Wheat grass and magnets, for me, helped. Acupuncture helps a lot. And meloxicam is very good.

6. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

stretching exercises prior to playing and cbd creme if necessary.

play music!

7. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had an unusually bad recovery from the surgery, after 8 weeks the doctor was ready to put me back into the hospital for a manipulation I was in physio for 24 sessions , the swelling would not subside and even now 2 years june I swell up pretty bad , when i was in the hospital and they were trying to get me to take all that garbage drugs , I refused point blank , so my only option wasd morphine , with the caveat that I was perscribed 10 mil, I only took 5 mil and when I was scaled down to 5mil I took 2.5 .

now I take T-3s only if I really really need to

8. 24 track

that looks familiar

Sotakoira Musti likes this.
  9. Martian

Martian TDPRI Member

Btw...fwiw, for anyone considering knee replacement surgery I would suggest giving it really serious thought before proceeding. I mention this because I’ve spoken to too many people who’ve said in essence that they’ve lived a relatively pain free life but have developed knee pain since turning 50 (60, whatever). And so they’re considering tkr. This is crazy. This is a hard operation with serious recovery and rehab time. I had my first of 10 knee surgeries when I was sixteen, some of them pretty extreme. But nothing was as difficult as this. Maybe I’m just too old and worn down but after 18 months I’m still recovering from having my knees replaced and am not in a good place.
    I apologize for going on about this but this has been a bad week and I guess I needed to rant a bit.

10. Martian

Martian TDPRI Member

Got it. And good for you, I’m impressed. I hope things are better fir you now and wish you well.

24 track likes this.
  11. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm 78 and have all of my original parts, knees, eyes, etc. (Although I'm missing a couple of digits which is probably why I'm not a Guitar Rock Star.)

This morning I mowed my front lawn with my Fiskars push mower. I take Diet Pepsi or an occasional Shiner Bock upon completion.
    Mower.JPG Shiner Bock.jpg

Lost_N_Austin

Colo Springs E, dented and Martian like this.
  12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

You just can’t take it for extended periods of time.

fattboyzz and dented like this.
  13. 24 track

thank you!

14. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Riesling.

15. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 Tele-Meister

Have the ginkgo and Ubiquinol made a big difference in your Tinnitus?
    I’ve been living with the ringing for about 15 years and would appreciate any help.

Thanks Robert

16. BramptonRob1958

I have a scar on the left leg I little more of to the side. From a broken femur about 3 inches above my knee when I was 27..

Doctor thought it was from a motorcycle accident when he saw my xrays, however, the accident actually happened from playing industrial league hockey.

I too had a Titanium pLate and sranless steel pins (Screws) inserted, then removed 2 years later. Fortunately my battle scar is barely visible and i have been blessed so far with no pain.

So there is hope.

17. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

You are the first one (that I noticed, after reading through this whole thread) who mentioned kidneys. I do not suffer from chronic pain. Two or three times a year I have some serious back pain, but it's nothing compared to what some here are describing. BUT - my wife does suffer from chronic pain, so I read everything that comes my way about pain relievers. And many of them are quite likely to cause kidney damage. Especially in combination with alcohol usage. Meaning "drinking and ibuprofen do NOT mix!" I was surprised in reading through this thread that nobody yet mentioned that.
    ha ha! We had a drawer full of morphine here in the house. My wife took it once or twice, and stopped. And we put the morphine in the drawer with all the other pain-relief products she had prescribed, but didn't take. A while ago I was reading an article about Tom Petty's death which described the various super-potent 'prescription medications' he was taking. I went and looked in the drawer, and every one of them was right there!

Martian and telemnemonics like this.
  18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Off subject but in reply. There’s ginkgo biloba and there’s ginkgo biloba. The state of NY tested a number of private label preparations and found no ginkgo biloba DNA in a number of them. I buy mine at Sprouts in California when I visit the grandkids. The Sprouts brand is organic and obviously ginkgo biloba from the smell. I buy Jarrow brand 100mg Ubiquinol QH at Whole Foods or Sprouts. I take both with breakfast and dinner. Ubiquinol is a high absorption Co-Q10. I’ve had Co-Q10 that worked and some where I thought I was slipping back taking it. Ubiquinol-QH is consistent.

Ginkgo and Ubiquinol aren’t a cure. They keep the level of ringing low enough that I rarely notice it. When it becomes distracting, the ringing usually quiets in a few hours.

I found that a gluten free diet helps with arthritis in my left hand, not so much with neck pain. I can’t cheat. I had a chocolate cookie with my anniversary dinner and paid the price for two days. I plan on trying turmeric next. I’ll head for Whole Foods next week and try to find something that includes black pepper to improve absorption. CBD helps me sleep but what I’ve found locally is pretty inconsistent and I’ve found on line purveyors shipping without my reordering. I wish it were available in CVS or Walgreens.

Good luck managing your tinnitus and arthritis. I can’t promise that what works for me will work for you. I can’t even promise that it will continue working for me. One thing I’ve learned is that I’d never want to trade my problems for someone else’s. You don’t have to look too far to find someone way worse off than you are.

19. BramptonRob1958

Thanks for the quick reply!

I’m fortunate not to have arthritis, but the tinnitus is pain in the @zz. Since there really isn’t a cure for tinnitus, I just resigned myself to living with it.

I also know that there are no guarantees, it doesn’t hurt to try.

thanks for the input.

20. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Tele-Meister

So 20 years is 2 long ?

I have chronic fatigue as well as Arthur's itis .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.