What Are You Old Coots Taking For Arthritis?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TC6969, May 22, 2020.

1. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Extra Virgin Olive Oil. One tablespoon daily.
    My knees are pretty wiped out at 65.
    The best I feel is when I water fast for 3 days.
    Fasting is really the best because it works, drink plenty of water when You’re doing it and stay on Your meds.

2. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I moved on from Naproxen nearly 20 years ago to Ibuprofen. Amazingly enough I only recently (last 6 months) found out that Ibuprofen contributes greatly to high blood pressure (which I've had for many years) so rather than switch to Acetaminophen daily I've just decided to suck it up. Granted I'm in constant pain and I do break down from time to time to take some Acetaminophen but for the most part I just do without.

3. 440mhz

440mhz TDPRI Member

Cannabis, thank god its legal here.

4. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Don't take any medication for the pain. Although, I do string my guitars with 10's (every string 0.010").

5. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nothing really seems to help relieve pain except a high dosage of ibuprofen (like 1600mg in a day) but I try not to do that very often.

I've tried it all: tart cherry juice, turmeric/curcumin, fish oil (I still take I figure what the heck), various other natural supplements. Honestly the only thing that seems maybe to help is to try to remain active: stretching / exercising in the morning, walking, cycling etc.

I haven't tried cannabis (or CBD) but I really doubt it would do much other than get me high.

There's no rhyme or reason to mine. Travels throughout my body (mostly hips, lower and upper back, neck and shoulders) and I can go weeks or months feeling fine, and then boom wake up one morning and I can barely get out of bed. It will flare up for a few days, few weeks, or few months. Pain level can be high, or just moderate. I figure I'm saddled with it for life, and of course, it's not going to get any better. Sucks.

beagle likes this.
  6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

Icy Hot, Ibuprofen and exercise.

7. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I am blessed with very little arthritis in my hands/fingers.

My knees and hips are pretty bad off though, from years of distance running.

My routine is pretty simple.

In general, cooking with extra virgin olive oil.
    A good daily multivitamin with Omega-3 goodness.
    One aspirin every morning.

I keep a decent diet, and I swim laps every other day for cardio.
    On odd days I row.
    Swimming and rowing keep me alive.

One Aleve in the mid afternoon, usually.

In the evening, I drink ice cold beers for overall pain relief and spiritual wellness.

:)

8. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I can't take anything any more due to stomach problems caused by anti-inflamatories. In the long run the daily drugs caused more problems than the arthritis. They never really did any good anyway. Gentle exercise and relaxation for pain control.

Colo Springs E likes this.
  9. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's why I try not to overdo it. Sometimes the pain is really... painful though, haha and I just have to take something. My doc told me I could safely do ibuprofen up to 1600mg 3x per week, and I never do it anywhere close to that. Maybe a few times a month when it's acting up.

beagle likes this.
  10. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

Diclofenac Sodium Topical Gel or Zostrix topical cream. Both by prescription. Zostrix is Capsaicin based which is from chili peppers and if you don't wash your hands THOROUGHLY after applying, you'll regret it(ask me how I know). Obviously you don't use it on your hands unless you don't touch anything for a while and wash off. It's good for shoulders and knees etc.
    Another product that really works for me is DMSO which is dimethyl sulfoxide. You can buy it cheap at Tractor Supply stores. It's used to apply to horse leg/hoof joints and is deep penetrating. You need to be sure that wherever you apply it the area is cleaned and free of any lotions etc.
    I've been suffering with arthritis for several years now and I have degenerative disc disease in my neck, I have arthritis in my fingers and peripheral nephropathy in my right hand. I hope you may find any of my suggestions helpful.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Rooster Comb shots in the knees approximately once a year for degenerative arthritis. hyaluronic acid. Shot in each knee once a week for three weeks. Been doing it for about 10 years and it helps.

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I just take aspirin.
    I used to take glucosamine.
    I have the big A in my thumbs and knees.
    It’s not too bad, lately.
    It’s worse in winter.
    If I eat less sugar (which I love), it’s better.
    The glucosamine helps when I remember to take it.

13. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Any old central nervous system depressent works for me. I’m not picky.

Better living through chemistry:eek:

14. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister

Had the same experience. Got rid of my left hand ring claw/trigger finger pretty quick. I take three a day.
    Also, "motion is lotion"
    Keep playing y'all!

15. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

Interesting thread. I spoke with my doctor a few weeks ago about this (tele-visit), as mine's been developing.

She said the most important thing for now is not to stop playing and writing, as it would get worse. I wish I'd known that before I stopped playing for a while.

She also put in a referral for physical therapy later in the year, when it'll hopefully be safer.

As for what I take now: ibuprofin once in a while but limit it as I took mass doses for a while (after a nasty accident) which caused stomach problems.

I also regularly drink green tea and add tumeric to dishes. (Someone recommended adding a bit to coffee, but I haven't tried that).

Since February 2019 I've been on a Mediterranean-style diet which has helped with a number of issues (including one that had me put the guitars away for five years). This also helped me be more active in general. (I'm also nearly half the size I'd ballooned to.)

16. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I run 3-4 miles, 2 or 3 times a week and I do find that glucosamine chondroitin helps alleviate the damage to my hips and knees that over 25 years of playing rugby and soccer did to them.

For the arthritis in my fingers I think an occasional couple of Aleve (naproxen sodium) tablets helps...but not a whole lot.

17. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

Less processed sugar and flour. More of mother nature

18. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Extra strength Tylenol, medical sativa concentrate in small doses.

Haven't had a cortisone shot, or any opioids in over 3 years now. That whole routine was getting really old, and having diminishing effects.

19. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

Naproxen will do more harm than good for you, that stuff does nothing for me anyway. it's bad for the liver! use your limbs more like my legs ache so much some times i can hardly take it but if i walk a lot it eases quite a bit.

20. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

in a weird way it feels good to belong in this discussion, i'm in the old farts club and proud!

johmica likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.