What Are You Old Coots Taking For Arthritis?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TC6969, May 22, 2020.

1. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Glucosamine/chondroitin, turmeric, and Pilates. After 20 years of playing soccer and 27 years reffing, I’m surprised that at 62 I can still get out of bed, sometimes. :eek:

yojimbo, tomkatf and Fiesta Red like this.
  2. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Turmeric and krill oil....Tylenol does nothing for me, and it's the only OTC med I can take due to taking Eliquis..... can't take Tramadol as it decreases the seizure threshold, and I ain't going down the opioid road.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  3. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

CBD oil from hemp, 25 mg a day, I haven't had a cortisone shot since 2018..........

4. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I don't do the Ibuprofen anymore. Started ulcers, but at least it worked. I am on Skyrizi injections every three months. I use Tylenol and occasional Ibuprofen to help out. My worst time is also when I sleep...or try to. Some times the pain makes me yell out in bed. Crud. :(

5. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Celebrex 200, chondroitin/glucosamine, a baby aspirin, the occasional ibuprofen, MMJ. Despite all that, I may be looking at my first cortisone shot in like 20 years. But, gotta play!

6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Not that I ' practice what I ( you) preach above' but I think 'drastically reducing sugar' intake can solve about 1000 health issues!

It's tough for me to change bad food behavior

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Hey, you folks taking turmeric, it seems like it helps lots of stuff. How much do you take daily?

8. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Green tea, rose hip extract, garlic powder, turmeric and a plant based diet.

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

if I am on days off nothing except an anti-inflamitory difenalac and only half my dose but if i am working I come home and my knee is the size of new york and my left ankle looks like my thigh, so after Icing and a hot soak in the tub , if the nerves are twitchy 2 ,T-3s and a nap , but only if i need to, I have morphine if I really need it ( but I stopped using that along time ago and only if I cant get the pain under control under normal cercumstances) but Ive seen what these high powered pain pills can do so even after surgery ( left knee replacement) they tried to give me oxy's and hydro morphone , but I refused them, that stuff is crazy stupid and i wont put that into my body. needless to say I dont drink very much.

10. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer TDPRI Member

I have chronic nerve pain, and now also joint damage so, pretty similar issues. Ibuprofen (lots), THC and a bit of Whiskey are my primary mechanisms. I prefer those to the anti-inflammatory, anti spasm and morphine based pills the Dr will give me. Oh... and a really good bed can make all the difference in the world! Got one of those fancy adjustable beds...cost what a small used car costs, but worth it.

11. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Tumeric and CBD oil. I don't really have problems but maybe it's cause I use these two often, especially tumeric and I use as much as a tsp a day

12. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I’m not supposed to take NSAIDs and once I had to quit I realized the power of ibuprofen. I still take it for a couple days when I just can’t stand the aggravation of the pain.

I get prescription stuff that helps somewhat. I take glucosamine + tumeric every day and have tried every other thing known like cherry extract, hyaluronic acid etc etc and honestly think it’s all a waste of $. I do a lot of physical stuff and PT and firmly believe it’s a big help but my hands hurt and I pay a rather serious price after a lotta chores that require me to do heavy lifting etc with those appendages. I unfortunately don’t know how I’d proceed if I didn’t do the work. I just keep going.

I wish I had a better answer. If you can use them NSAIDs are very helpful.

LeftFinger likes this.
  13. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

Several people before me mentioned Glucosamine Chondroitin. A few years ago I was having problems with with my left hand turning into a claw after playing 30 to 45 minutes and I can't take Hydrocodone because it slows down my playing. I'm not a believer in supplements but this stuff worked for me.

LeftFinger likes this.
  14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Regular sit or lie downs/breaks from what I'm doing.
    No OTC supplement has ever worked for anything other than heavy wallet syndrome.
    When it gets too much, prescription stuff that shall remain unnamed. I can't take ibuprofen more than once every couple of days due to intestinal distress issues, which is annoying as it is the only thing that eases the joints.

Decent diet, try to get decent sleep. perform tasks little and often. Arthritis can go fling itself into a plastic shredder then bathe in molten salt as far as I'm concerned.

15. yojimbo

yojimbo Tele-Meister

cod liver oil, and ibuprofen. really though, no pill i've taken for joint pain works as well as hot yoga. i've been a twice weekly practitioner for 8 years. at one point, i was so into it, i practiced daily for a year and a half straight. it's also good for anxiety and mood.

16. yojimbo

yojimbo Tele-Meister

indeed it does. it definitely worked for me!

JL_LI likes this.
  17. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I was on methotrexate and prednisone for a few years until I started getting stomach upsets so I've come off them. Tried naproxen and diflinac(?) but I can't seem to stomach them.
    Now I'm taking CBD oil and using CBD salve and turmeric and have cut back on sugar, alcohol and meat a lot and it does seem to be really helping.

18. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

A buddy I worked with for the past couple of years started taking CBD oil and the salve for his hands this past November and swears buy it! I spoke with him 2 weeks ago and asked if he is still using it and he said yes, every day, Says it really works. Only thing is it's pretty expensive.

19. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

Codeine...and Brandy!

stevemc likes this.
  20. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Our band's bass player (62) used to have very bad osteoarthritis in his hands. He wouldn't follow the pills route -- instead he bought a magnetic wristband and wore it constantly (night and day). After three months it started to lessen his discomfort. Another three months and he had no arthritic pain at all. He still wears the wristband and remains pain free -- and still plays great bass.

I don't know how these things work -- and maybe they don't work for everyone. Bass player Jeff just says get a good one -- they tend to cost around £30 in the UK. If you see one for a fiver.....dunno.

I'm 75 and would still be gigging but for this damn virus. Over the past year or so I've developed bad osteoarthritis in both my knees and it is beginning to affect my mobility so I'm going magnet shopping. I'm looking at the website of a company called MPS (they ship worldwide) but there must be plenty of companies offering these things -- just check that they're reputable.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Martian likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.