What are you guys using your recording equipment for?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by chet again, May 14, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Are you using it for practice or fun? Are you serious about making demos of your own songs?

2. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

I could say all of the above. :)
    But, mainly to record my originals which I've been doing since the late 70's although I don't actively promote myself or my s/click page.
    It is a 'fun' process too.

Carry on....

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have written about an albums full of tunes but I really like to record out side the box and experiment I have a Yamaha AW4416 portable recorder i can take to alive gig to record the show off of the stage feed take it back to the studio and finalize the recordings

I have several different cards for in/outs plus I can record direct to CD if i wish

hqdefault.jpg yamaha-AW4416-rear.jpg

IMG_0019.JPG

4. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

As a songwriter, I use my recording equipment/studio to mostly make demos for my own songs. Because of my longtime experience with recording, I also occasionally get recruited to work on projects for others; usually in a limited post-production role, either tweaking tracks, arranging or contributing a guitar/vocal/bass/keyboard part etc.

5. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

I find free midi files on the net and remix them in my DAW to make backing tracks.

Some free midi files are reasonably good to work with, some are not so good.

24 track likes this.
  6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i do scratch tracks on Audacity , Steinberg USB, 2 mics for cabs & drums...send them to my studio guy, to have for a guide Today was first session of the year for new CD..sat down 10am, did intro & built song from there. Rhythm first, then i drum to it. Vocals go on. then i do bass & then last thing..i lead over it. Walked out 4:30. Today was 3 mics on a 4x12 cab, jtm45 & jmp 50. Pro tools studio. I do ok at home, but when its for real. the pro makes it where it needs to be recorded & mixed right. Priceless to me to have someone who can take my vision & it comes out in the end pretty close to what was on my mind. I do go in very prepared from settings to basic chords but i always freestyle leads..can't plan em..they just is

7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I use mine to record demos of my own tunes. Every once in a while I get asked to contribute a track to someone else's songs, so I'll get a rough mix from the artist, record a track and send it off.

- D

24 track likes this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a few hundred of these my self I love to set them up and mix , some times i like to swap out the instrumentaion using logic and a host of VST's that I have, it gives the tracks a new flavor and approach

9. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We'll work up an arrangement on originals and record it. But primarily we track songs from concept to completion. About the only thing we don't do is master, (it's good to have a fresh set of ears on the work).
    Every track* on this song and everything else on the Americana Motel album was recorded and mixed in our 300 square foot studio.

*Except "Who Luvs You" recorded live at Frogville Studio in Santa Fe, NM.

24 track likes this.
  10. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

I use my setup to...
    jot down ideas,
    work on arrangements (for either live or recordings) **
    demo stuff before going to a paid studio,
    record my own tracks to add to a mix in a paid studio,
    A/B different gear (e.g. which speaker works better, which pickup suits this part, etc.),
    record stuff for release.

it's all fun, ain't no-one paying me for this. :)

(** mostly this one these days).

11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Mainly collecting dust at the moment.

Digital Larry, aerhed and Jupiter like this.
  12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Bag of stuff. I do the arrangements for occasional provincial theatrical productions, record the band & make our demos, make backing tracks to practice to and generally mess about with compositional ideas that pop in my head.

Recently moved back to hardware (Tascam DP32SD) from DAWs for tracking as it’s much more direct and I was wasting too much time fiddling with VSTs and looking at waveforms rather than just playing and using my ears and instincts.

13. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mostly homegrown music production, but as of late, not much. I don't push it. We have completed many home grown CD's which we sold at our playing venues and I also create and produce Steel Guitar learning programs which I offer for sale on my website as well as various web outlets. I have several projects in my head but getting them into the DAW in real time is becoming a chore these days. I don't track or create until I am mentally in the zone otherwise, it sounds like it !

I don't use my systems for practice or general fun. I practice everyday but not with the DAW or any other recording system.

Before I was retired, I used my systems very often, now after being retired I need to take a day off or a vacation from retirement and get back to some of the things I used to do !

Too many projects and time commitments (which I love) and not enough time for the other stuff I love ! :eek:

BUT, daily and regular guitar practice has not suffered. The other direction, I spend MORE time on the fretboard. :)

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  14. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Writing and producing all the song ideas I never had time for when I was tied up with family matters, bands and day jobs.

15. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Meister

I am gradually building up my skill level to be able to gig.

tintag27 likes this.
  16. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Very much like Martin R - from concept to completion, but not mastering. I don't have 300 square feet though. I doubt I even have 30 square feet at the moment!

I'm a songwriter. If I don't record them they'll never be heard. I hardly sell anything but that isn't the point. The point is creating something cool (hopefully) that didn't exist before. If nothing else it's a legacy for when I'm gone.

Martin R and Steve 78 like this.
  17. optofonik

optofonik Tele-Meister

18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

For recording quick ideas I just record using my phone. The iPhone default voice memo app is pretty good but I use an app called VoiceRecord.

When I use my DAW it is mostly to make my own music, laying down one track at a time. Sometimes an idea I come up with becomes the kernel of an original
    song that I end up developing with my band.

If I'm trying to learn a song and it has difficult parts in it I will record it with my DAW and then it is very easy to play back sections at any tempo I want until I have it figured out.

Every once in a while my buddy in Sweden and I email each other .wav files of individual tracks and we make up something together, just for fun.

19. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I used my very crude setup to record four CDs of cover tunes for my wife. She asked for them because I’m give a lot, and she played them in her car for a very long time. It was also a nice way to while away long winter days, and as I had no punch in/out I did countless lead guitar tracks over from start to finish if I was not satisfied. Best I’ve ever played!

I used GB with just a Shure 57 and a basic interface for all inputs except electric guitar. Most songs had 4-6 tracks though recordings are sometimes like many things in life, where less equals more. We now winter down south and my recording days are pretty much over.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.