What are you grateful for seeing in your generation

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Jul 9, 2019.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm grateful that I got to see the removal of restrictions on marriage, and the positive changes in attitudes towards gender identity and sexual preferences.

My generation is still very much alive and participating in the world. My generation didn't stop when the next generation, or the one after that, came along.

uriah1 and Harry Styron like this.
  2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m on the edge of 40.

Im glad I was able to see the Cubs win a World Series. I feel bad for my son, who’s never really known them to be a bad team. Suffering for decades alongside so many friends and family members made it a very special thing to witness.

I liked being part of one of the last generations to enjoy a childhood without all the silly constraints society has added.

I’m glad I got to see Bobby Weir sing songs.

wrathfuldeity likes this.
  3. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Grateful for childhood and teenage experiences before criminalization...like my home away from home at age 16 (1975) was this very tiny little blues bar and got to see many old blues folks...Big Mama, Luther Allison, Otis Rush, Etta James, Albert Collins, Koko and many many others for like $1-4 and 50 cent drafts.

Flakey and ravindave_3600 like this.
  4. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm grateful for having lived thru the birth of classic rock. Classic rock is the greatest music created and will live on long after all of us are gone. I'm sure many millenials will discover The Eagles, Pink Floyd and all the rest. But it's not the same as being alive during the time all those albums came out and waiting anxiously for the next one, not knowing how good it will be.

No one knew at the time that there would be a beginning to classic rock and an end. In fact it was not even known as classic rock until after the fact. Still, anyone who lived through that period knows it was something special.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Flakey likes this.
  5. AxRookie

AxRookie Tele-Meister

The only thing that came close to seeing Rush was Seeing The Rolling Stones in the King Dome in Seattle Washington in 1981 for the "Tattoo You" tour the day after my birthday.

I worked for budget rent a car at the time and I had asked for the day off because I had very hard to get floor tickets (there were no seats on the floor) and I was told NO, So, of course, I went anyways because it was THE ROLLING STONES !

And, of course, I got fired BUT it was worth it !!!

Flakey, Rowdyman and ravindave_3600 like this.
  6. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

THAT Is great. :cool::cool::cool:

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm grateful to have seen both environmental damage and then environmental cleanup, highlighted by peregrine falcons once again nesting on Mt Desert Island in Maine in the '80s after being wiped out by DDT in the '60s.
    I'm grateful I could swim in rivers once too polluted for any life to survive in.
    I'm grateful to have seen human rights fought for and improved, even as there are still problems.
    I'm grateful to have grown up roaming alone as a kid with no fear of strangers (though there were indeed dangers then, just not so much from strangers), and as noted, to have enjoyed the era when the sun was not a danger to be exposed to for the day.
    I'm grateful to have known people who grew up before electricity/ radio/ TV etc and to know that modern convenience actually robs us of some of what it promises to give us.
    I'm grateful that I was a New York City resident before it lost its grit.
    I'm grateful to have been a drug addict before the medical community concluded that selling synthetic opiates to opiate addicts was the cure.
    I'm grateful to have owned cars when they were simple enough that we could know what all the parts did.
    I'm grateful to now have an affordable car that confounds me with tech but hardly ever stops working.
    I'm grateful to have learned to work with my hands when we still had a proud workforce that built most of the best stuff on earth in the US.

8. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've lived through another great age of "dreamers", people who have envisioned change, creativity and above all else new ways of thinking. I wrote an article about dreaming and though it was targeted for my industry I thought it might fit here. All the things mentioned in this thread were a product of little kids at some point just dreaming about what might be possible. For those of you who do not like or understand my industry ignore the specifics and think about how the changes you've seen in your chosen fields are similar.

I like to dream about things. I have been doing it since I was a kid. I imagine I’ve thought that way since I saw a kid riding a bicycle down the street with a playing card clothes pinned to the frame mimicking the sound of a motor as it hit the spokes. My first thought was what sound would three cards make. I don’t know which kid invented that idea but I believe he should be right up there with Thomas Edison. Perhaps for me it was the birth of a dreamer.

We’re at a point in time where the growth in digital information and possibly more importantly digital intelligence (AI to the robotics folks) is fueling all sorts of new ideas. Each of us is trying to figure out how to get data to yield information at such a quickening pace that it sometimes seems overwhelming.

But the reality that change is happening and really amazing new ideas are possible, really excites me. I know this is dangerous at my advanced age, but wow are these imagining times or what.

I’ve been involved in some exciting work with a series of committees working on a possible best practice document covering the full life cycle of planning, drilling, producing and ultimately completing Oil and Gas Well drilling. You’d think after 23 million wells, all this would be cast in stone and fully understood. What I’ve learned working with really brilliant and productive people is that ideas are rampant right now. The data being gathered from drilling operations combined with all the related geophysical and geological information is yielding massive amounts of information; which through analytics and ultimately digital intelligence is changing the way we think.

I am focused on my interests in spatial data and how it fits into the emerging changes, but I’d also like to think I am sitting on the curb watching the bike with the playing card rumbling by and I can suddenly imagine what is going to happen to my industry. If you will allow me to speculate on what the value of digital intelligence combined with dreaming might bring to the O&G industry.

One of the current changes I’ve seen is that knowledge about geologic formations have immensely improved, so much so that experts in developing plays have learned that horizontal drilling can reduce cost while maximizing production in key development areas. Technology has followed to a point where knowledge is added almost in real-time about these formations. All sorts of focus are being placed on how to plan, drill, locate and develop these plays through the use of horizontal drilling.

While I am no expert in these technologies I do see the changes that are occurring because they impact my own business; which is solving where things are. So as I’m sitting on the curb I’m wondering if at some time in the foreseeable future geologists will start thinking about wells as a subsurface network; possibly connected; crisscrossing the geologic formations generating detailed knowledge about development, better understanding the subsurface environment; ultimately becoming sub-surface custodians as well as surface custodians. How might wells interconnect? How could companies share in the benefits of a network of wells? How could partners come together to share in profits based on better margins through less effort; less risk; a smaller footprint and less speculation?

My grandson is coming over this weekend and I might just take the time to show him how to hook up a playing card. Maybe he will start imagining what is possible and as he grows and learns perhaps he will contribute to what is emerging as The Ideas of Things.

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Gender issues are not new. The good old days weren’t as good as many like to fantasize. More was swept under the carpet.

I am grateful for many things and disappointed in many things as well. On the lighter side, I’m grateful for the music of my youth (British Invasion, Motown, Stax, etc). I’m extremely grateful for the technology explosion and i am grateful i witnessed the 60s, the Summer of Love, etc.

10. AxRookie

AxRookie Tele-Meister

There is one band I really would have loved to see live but never did to my sorrow, Led Zeppelin!

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Man on the moon, Galaxies through hubble, some peace, some global water cleanup and awareness, forests,
    potato chips in a can.

12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

The Snark...:cool::D

DSCN2228.JPG

TequilaCaster and Flakey like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.