What are you grateful for seeing in your generation

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Jul 9, 2019.

1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Grateful for taking a side trip by myself up into the Bamiyan valley in mid '78 to see the giant Buddhas carved into the cliffs....
    and being taken through the honeycomb of passages inside the cliff by a friendly local to sit on the Buddas head to look out over the valley, peaceful and green with snowy peaks in the distance...:)

before they were used as target practice by the taliban...:(

bhudda01.jpg
    head view big.jpg

Fretting out, Bendyha, basher and 2 others like this.
  2. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I will be banned for specifying

Fretting out likes this.
  3. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I was born right in between two different generations – I'm right on cutoff for one and the beginning of the other. I'm kind of connected to both, but not really a part of either. I'm grateful for that... I think it's given me a perspective that other people seem to lack.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

5. cowboy66

cowboy66 TDPRI Member

Smokey and the bandit and the dukes of hazard.

Fretting out likes this.
  6. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I'm personally and professionally very hostile to nostalgia.

As I get older, I'm increasingly aware of the degree to which my own past has become a foreign country. We did things very differently back then--attitudes were different, and of course technological change has powerful effects. The internet is the most obvious example.

One of the things I point out to students is that buying music in the record store era, you were often confronted with segregation--not necessarily malicious segregation, but the record bins were arranged in ways that were "racialized." With few exceptions rock and country were white. R+B or "disco" or soul" were mostly black. You had to physically "cross over," and for a 14 year old kid, here I grew up, "crossing over" to the other genre would be noticed. Like if I were to buy an Ohio Players album, or a black guy bought a Yes album, both our peer communities would give us some crap.

Trivial, sure, in the larger scheme of things, but "consuming' music today doesn't require that kind of physical crossover

7. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

[QUOTE="maxvintage, post: 9197232]
    One of the things I point out to students is that buying music in the record store era, you were often confronted with segregation--not necessarily malicious segregation, but the record bins were arranged in ways that were "racialized." With few exceptions rock and country were white. R+B or "disco" or soul" were mostly black. You had to physically "cross over," and for a 14 year old kid, here I grew up, "crossing over" to the other genre would be noticed. Like if I were to buy an Ohio Players album, or a black guy bought a Yes album, both our peer communities would give us some crap....Trivial, sure, in the larger scheme of things, but "consuming' music today doesn't require that kind of physical crossover[/QUOTE]

Interesting. From your musical references we're probably about the same age. Where I grew up the radio played a mash of it all, "black" and "white", and we had it all at our parties, too. That's one thing I'm grateful for. People had their favorites we spent our money on but the hardest lines were between the country and rock crowds: we didn't mix much.

8. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

Yep. My mom rang a dinner bell I could hear for blocks.

Fretting out likes this.
  9. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Grateful for being alive during the period of the best music (60s) the world has ever known, of having seen some major musical icons live (Jimi,Janis,Airplane,Zep,Floyd,etc) and most of all...having been with the best looking women of any generation.

kingofdogs1950 and Fretting out like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm glad I got to live at least part of my life before the British Invasion of BANDS!

Fretting out likes this.
  11. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

Grateful for having lived the analog world, before it morphed into this digital construct we live in now. Are any of y'all real?

12. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

The freedom to be a kid and all that entailed, before the surveillance state took over.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  13. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

The Beatles (with Pete Best), Hoylake YMCA, Feb 1962.

Steam trains as an everyday mode of transport.

Skylarks singing in fields near our house and a dormouse snoring (quietly!) while hibernating in our garden shed.

14. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

Awesome and inspiring thread. I'm 59 tomorrow and going in for a 2nd neck surgery weds. I'm thankful for surviving this long and advancements in the medical field. I'm hoping that the numbness in my fingers and arms will go away and I can still play guitar etc. for a long, long time.
    As far as my youth, most of the US related things stated here I experienced and cherish now that I reflect on them. I started working at 11(paper route and mowing lawns), dishwashing for $1.27/hr at 13, assembled Schwinn bicycles at 14 and worked as an usher at a movie from 15(Jaws, the Godfather, Silver Streak, Carwash and the Exorcist era) until I went into the Air Force at 17 when I bought my first real guitar(a Baldwin hollowbody).
    At 35 I embraced the personal computer from Windows 3.1 on and thought it was amazing to run Windows 95 on a 500MB hard drive!
    At 40 the most amazing and wonderful thing happened to me...I met my lovely wife Julia. She makes me appreciate every day before I met her and every day forward. Live and embrace your past and your future. It's really all that we have isn't it?

15. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Man, I saw so many great concerts between 1977 and 1981 I can't count 'em. Including Springsteen three times, the Dead 5 or 6, the Stones 3 times, Petty 3 times, the Police, BB, Muddy.

The two best were a Springsteen concert in the Summer of 78 and the Dead in January of 78. I remember every detail of that Dead show because I have a great recording of it. I just remember the energy of the Springsteen show.

But I've come to the conclusion that the reason I saw so many amazing concerts in those years is because it's when I was 18-22 years. I was wide open, impressionable, ready for anything. So I went to every show I could find and caught a lot of really great ones and plenty of duds too. I don't think it was THE time, I think it was MY time. If I'd been of age to have seen the Stones and Bruce and the Dead between 72-75, THOSE would have been the best shows I'd ever seen because they all played some great ones then, but by the end of '75 I'd probably only seen about 4-5 concerts and none of them were any of the greats. Well, not true - I saw George Harrison and Lynard Skinnard and Rod Stewart, but I was too young to fully appreciate any of them.

Vanzant likes this.
  16. AxRookie

AxRookie Tele-Meister

Seeing Rush perform 2112 live in the Paramount Theatre at Portland Oregon in 1976 just 18 days after my 18th birthday, I'll never forget those two flash bombs on either side of the stage shoot upwards and both go off at the same time with a huge BOOM !!! as they launched into 2112!

I've seen around 30 big-name bands in my life BUT that was the best by far!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Vanzant and kelnet like this.
  17. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I haven't smoked in years but when I stopped I still kept my pipes. I don't know why. They're sitting in a corner of the closet shelf along with my pouch, tapper, etc. I know I have at least one Savinelle.

18. AxRookie

AxRookie Tele-Meister

I still have a one-hit bowl up in the attic somewhere, Oh wait you weren't talking about that kind of pipe were you? lol

19. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

No, but I bet the one you are referring to was made of brass and shaped like a tiny baseball bat and maybe kept in a palm size wood box that has a little sliding lid on the side. ;)

20. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm grateful that I got to see Wayne Gretzky, Joe Montana, Michael Jordan, Michael Schumacher, and Tiger Woods.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.