What are you grateful for seeing in your generation

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I am about the same age. I think rock music of the later 60s reflected pretty much everything you just mentioned ... and more that we probably can't discuss here. A grand era ... if you survived. Too bad most people didn't take those lyrics to heart.

Fretting out and jhundt like this.
  2. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

Music: I'm grateful for being a teenager in the 1960s, I got to see most of the big acts at venues in Los Angeles for around $3 and there were usually multiple bands on the bill. Saw Hendrix 3 times, Cream, Stones, all the Bay area bands. It made me the musician I am today.
    The space program: we were the first generation to put humans on another planet. The technology that was developed to enable us to do that formed the future.
    Vaccinations: Polio was rampant in the 1950s. 2 of my friends contracted in when they were children
    Hippies: A name unfairly given to young people with long hair who listened to Rock & Roll, were open minded, and cared enough about their fellow man to want the world to be a better place and tried to do something about it. Hippy was and is a dirty word to most people. It was unfairly given to anyone who looked out of place or was outspoken. A true Hippy was someone who was a hedonist, and just wanted to enjoy themselves and have no responsibilities. Most of the people I grew up with were not Hippies, even through ignorant people called us that.

3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

IMO , nothing was better in the old days , I envy those being born today .......I'm 54 , and the world has become a MUCH better place in my time.
    To keep this remotely guitar related , I don't even have feelings for the " death of the music industry "
    I really like that success full musicians of this age are out there playing their butts off to make money !

4. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

I’m Grateful I got to see the Dead with Garcia!

5. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

I'm grateful that I live in rural Wales, can hunt and fish, smell the air to make my own weather forecasts, work hard and enjoy a simple life.

I'm grateful that I was brought up to think for myself, and I'm grateful that my children have had the same treatment, even if they think differently to me.

6. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I lived in the valleys for four years, not the most scenic village, but loved the people. We have close freinds on a farm in Llanboidy, Carmarthenshire, that I always enjoyed going to visit, and could easily envisage living there if I could. Have been to excellent gig/parties in barns in the middle of no-where. A great place for children to be raised.

Jackroadkill and Fretting out like this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

When I started this thread I didn’t think it would be this popular, I’m glad there’s people that can see that the glass can be a little more than half full .
    I’m making sure to go through and read all your answers

8. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Going to concerts with 3 or 4 bands playing for 6.00 bucks,, oh yeah!

Fretting out and Straydogger like this.
  9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i'm glad that I got to see the high point of rock and roll: Springsteen and e-street on tour in 1978. I got to see them twice. nothing else has ever come close. IMO.

Fretting out and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  10. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

1st I’m so grateful for the new med tech. I wouldn't be here to type this out. Talking with a few other transplant recipients, 8 years ago they used staples to close up a wound, before that stitches. They used body bond / super glue on me. Infections from the surgery happened often. I haven’t had any! The tech for use Of compromised livers and other organs helps those of us with rare blood types making organs available to more in need of a transplant.
    Growing up in L.A. and Orange County SoCal. I got to participate in hot rodding, surfing, seeing great bands in great venus. I got a great education for my needs of being a mechanic, machinist and fabricator. It gave me a 40 year career and most likely ruined my liver. The Moon landing, freedom to travel, surf when I could, eat some great food cooking with my Mom and Dad. Finding wife #1 and having a family, and finding love again in wife #2, I couldn’t be any happier.

Owenmoney, Fretting out and Steve 78 like this.
  11. triviani

triviani Tele-Meister

I’m grateful I was 17 in 1991. Grow up with 80s metal, and all the 70s classics were not that distant. And I vividly remember when I heard Nirvana, Soundgarden.. all these new bands, for first time - as a teenager!

The 90s were rich and creative in music, plenty of new exciting bands everywhere, from dance music to death metal.

And we did party, without having to hang to a smartphone 24/7. We met friends and talked for hours, with no social media to check. I didn’t need a mobile phone to know were my friends were.

12. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I am grateful for seeing the world without social media, for learning to play outside

13. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Too many things to mention. I'm glad however for my continued health and well being, and for my family and friends the same. Also, to you guys out there in cyberspace. I don't really much care for anything else to be honest. Every day is a miracle.

Fretting out likes this.
  14. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm grateful for:
    Learning maths before calculators were available/allowed at school
    Learning to write properly before it became educationally unfashionable
    See man walk on the moon
    Being able to go wherever for the whole day, before stranger-danger was invented

Owenmoney and Fretting out like this.
  15. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

got to see Hendrix, original Who, original Dead, Paul Butterfield, a very long list. I got to see the natural world through the eyes of a child and even began to see myself. Of course there were things I did not want to see but that would take this into verbotten territory

Fretting out likes this.
  16. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Classic muscle cars that went for $450.

telleutelleme and Fretting out like this.
  17. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Gen X here. I'm grateful for a lot of things already mentioned.

But on a ornery level I'm the grateful to be one of the last to enjoy a little Halloween night shenanigans when the police would chase you but never tried to catch you. It was usually our one free night a year where we could be as ornery as we wanted within reason.

I remember when I got my first cellphone I was 33 years old and I was out fishing at a pond I had been going to since I was a kid and I remember thinking "if someone told me when I was 12 in 1986 that someday I would be standing in this same spot in the middle of nowhere talking to my girlfriend on a phone I would think they were watching too much Star Trek.

Lawdawg and Moriarty like this.
  18. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Being there to experience The Beatles and the late sixties, because it's impossible to explain to anyone born after. In many ways it was the line of demarcation in both music and culture.

Deathray likes this.
  19. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

We live in one of the most amazing times in history - medicine like never seen before, the ability to talk to loved ones all over the world instantaneously and (practically) for free, the opportunity to listen to your choice of the world's great music at a moment's notice. I'm grateful for all of that.

My wife, my family, my home (including air conditioning!), my car, my guitars and amps... all are gifts and I'm grateful for them all.

Owenmoney likes this.
  20. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

I’m grateful to have lived in a time and place where a group of friends could get a band together, play loud rock and roll to a bunch or drunks in a dirty smoky bar, and have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve 78, Owenmoney and Moriarty like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.