What are you grateful for catching in your generation

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Jul 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Spell check??? It works both ways. Sometimes it creates new words, sometimes it corrects. Sometimes it doesn’t realize when there is an error....or two. From your second sentence....”you where aloud to smoke”.

At any rate...I am simply.....glad to still be here.

elihu and Fretting out like this.
  2. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

I’m willing to bet we’ve got some folks here grateful they saw the rise of the wheel, lever and inclined plane. ;)

Fretting out and Dismalhead like this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

boy, I am grateful for so much! I'm grateful that I grew up in a time when you could still hitch hike, wrench on righteous 60's and 70's trucks and cars... VOLKSWAGENS! I'm grateful for when you could go to the national parks and be alone, when you could go offroad almost everywhere, PAWN SHOPS, 5.00 concerts, DOUBLE features at the movies, sleeping on the beach, Local radio stations that played what they thought was good, when FM was underground. I am just really grateful for having lived and living in, golden ages of things... even with growing pains and missteps and tough times, what a great time to have lived.

4. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'm really grateful for catching the Space Program. opened my mind to wonder and possibility. I am also grateful for all of the great music I've heard and witnessed live. I'm glad my childhood came before the 24 hour news cycle and the constant paranoia and correctness of today's society.

getbent and Fretting out like this.
  5. eddy b.

eddy b. TDPRI Member

Riding bicycles everywhere all day. Playing unorganized sports organized by us kids. Playing outside till the street lights came on. Seeing Stevie Ray Vaughan live 7 times. Waiting for my favorite song to come on the radio so I could tape record it. Getting to do all kind of real things that the virtual world can’t even begin to match. Learning guitar from friends.

6. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

+1- love all these!

Fretting out likes this.
  7. Marc Morfei

I am grateful I was a child during a time when you could go outside without catching Lyme disease or skin cancer.

Fretting out, Dismalhead and getbent like this.
  8. Marc Morfei

You are right to point this out. Most of us are nostalgic for a simpler time when the internet didn’t monopolize our attention. But the internet is pretty friggin great. The amount of information available instantly at your fingertips is awesome.

Fretting out and getbent like this.
  9. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

The down side of spell check: before we had it, we didn't end up with where aloud instead of were allowed! (Sorry. Couldn't resist!)

I still use a dictionary almost daily - and have a stash of typewriters, against the day the grid implodes. The original laptop.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Fretting out likes this.
  10. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. Sunshine used to be good for you!

Fretting out likes this.
  11. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Not quite, but I was with my Dad the first time he saw a small electronic calculator and, in the day of mechanical adding machines, it fully and completely blew his mind. I think he bought one of the early HP's for about $100, back when $100 was $100, for what you get included in your kid's cereal box today in a package about 1/10 the size. So, I dunno, the wheel was around - we had to DRIVE to that store with the calculator. I'm pretty sure the lever was too, but the inclined plane - might have had that one beat!

Fretting out likes this.
  12. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

It's not like that stuff hadn't been invented yet - we could still GET those things. But we didn't know about 'em so we didn't worry. Per instruction from Alfred E. Newman, who's now sadly gone the way of the dodo.

Yeah, it's freaking AMAZING. And I loved it every step of the way. You mean I can pay my bills by pushing a few buttons instead of writing checks, addressing envelopes, buying stamps, etc. You mean I can send my folks photos of their grandkids INSTANTLY without waiting to get the film developed (film?) and mailing them. You mean I can click BUY on Amazon and have said item delivered this afternoon. Hell, i remember the first time I used a simple spreadsheet on an Apple II to sort a row of figures, group them by type, and then add up all of the totals and sub-totals. My mind was blown - I'd been doing that stuff by HAND and taking about 20 times as long.

Yeah, the internet has a downside along with an upside - show me any great innovation that didn't. The key is making it work for you and not becoming a slave to IT. Man, if you told me I had to go back 40 years to when none of this stuff was around, or at least not available to the masses, I'd just flat refuse. These are the good old days. You know, aside from impending planetary doom and all that, but that's gonna happen eventually one way or another anyway, but while we're still around, we got it GOOD!

Fretting out likes this.
  13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I just re read the title. Did it change? Now I take it as what did we catch.
    I got the mumps, measles, chicken pox, scabies and pink eye (conjunctivitis)

I thought these things were all still a part of growing up today.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Fretting out likes this.
  14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

the mumps I guess...

Fretting out likes this.
  15. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Nobody s grateful that some of us will probably witness the end of the world ? or whatever you might want to call it. :(

16. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Way back before all the kids were vaccinated I caught the Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu. Still got em.

Fretting out likes this.
  17. Marc Morfei

True, but where I grew up in central NY state, there was not Lyme disease back then. It had not yet crept north that far. The worst thing that could happen to you outside was poison ivy. As a kid I was out playing in the woods all the time my whole childhood. And I never remember putting on sunscreen. I suppose that's why everyone I know gets these carcinomas now.

And the weeds! Where I grew up as a kid, the weeds were actually these lovely wildflowers: chicory, queen anne's lace, buttercups, stuff like that. Even the milkweed, which was ugly, only grew about 2 feet tall and was essential food for monarch butterflies. Nowadays the weeds are these horrible monstrosities like pokeweed, mile-a-minute, kudzu, wild grapevines that swallow whole trees. *sigh....

Fretting out likes this.
  18. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

What's the eta?

19. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

We didn't have ticks when I was growing up in Arizona either, too friggin' hot and dry and, you know, no vegetation to speak of. But skin cancer? We HAD skin cancer. I'm pretty sure I put a serious down payment on some skin cancer in those days and now I'm putting my dermatologist's kids through college keeping it at bay. The only weeds were tumbleweeds, which we just needed to cleanup once or twice a year. Before we moved into a condo, the weed from hell at our last place was bamboo. I'm telling you - people are worried about the wrong stuff. Global warming and nuclear holocaust don't have ANYthing on bamboo. That stuff may outlast Keith Richards...

Fretting out likes this.
  20. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

What are you grateful for catching in your generation

something that was treatable..

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.