What are y'all using for vocal mics?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Rich_S, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was surprised at the general negativity concerning the Beta58 on the pro sound forum. Weird.

2. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Tele-Afflicted

I haven't but I will.. I use the 57 to mic acoustic guitars and like what it does for them.

3. sequencepro

sequencepro Tele-Meister

Man, I've seen this SO many times, and then the numbnutz will say something like "this here newfangled mic ain't near 'bout as good as my ol' 58!"
    And you just want to say "I understand how you might think that... IF I WAS A MORAN I might think that way too!"
    So many times the problem can solved simply by where you point the rear of the mic...

4. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

+1

Can't beat an SM58 for value and durability!

5. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Unless you find out MF is selling e840s for $79.95 each. :D

6. B25Gib

B25Gib TDPRI Member

Our female guitarist singer/songwriter uses a SHURE beta 57a for vocals and really sings with power, dynamics and presence. Thanks for the post explaining the monitor and mike position of the beta 57a to prevent feedback - we did have some on two occasions at festivals with the monitor too straight on in front of our singer. The beta 57a is a very good mic! I bought an AKG D5 for my mid-range voice testing a Sennheiser(805), an Electrovoice and the AKG with listening help from my lady about 6 years ago. I also really like the "flat face" Sennheiser E609 for miking my Peavey SS amp. There is no band volume audio bleed into this mike from other sources!

7. voodoo tele

voodoo tele Tele-Meister

Sm 58 +1

8. parcellecaster

parcellecaster TDPRI Member

Heil PR 20 love it

9. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Shure Beta 57a, my go-to mic..just seems to suit my voice

10. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

I have a SM-58 ... always open to other suggestions though

11. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I prefer Audix OM5s to a Shure and or a Sennheiser. I've always found the bottom end drops out of an SM58 as you back off and I don't find that to be true with an Audix. I like the greater clarity as well. It's a better fit for my voice. Prior to the Audix I was using and older Audio Technica.

12. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've got 2 SM 58's and a SM57, and whole bunch of others including condensers. My favorite vocal mic is the Behringer 8500. $35 bucks. More rich volume before feedback than a 58.

13. Warren Pederson

The Behringer 8500 was (I think initially a 58 ripoff) however it is way nicer than a 58 (did I mention $35 bucks with a case). My wife stole mine, she's an awesome singer. My best bud was looking for a mic and I suggested one and he thinks it's the cat's ass and I have to agree. I have to go pick one up stricktly for me.

14. Warren Pederson

You might not be able to puke into it or pound nails with an 8500, but I'd be shocked if you weren't shocked by the performance.

15. Fink132

Fink132 Tele-Meister

Yep ev nd767 is what i have been using. Way hotter mics than the '58s...

16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

the school rock band that I roady for has a pair of SM58's for the vocalists....

when I first got the gear out to set up I was happy to see them...;)

I'm glad whoever bought mics for the school didn't cheap out... and took good advise, so the kids are singing through industry standard mics...,,,;)

17. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Somewhere out there is a soundfile of a gazillion mics. The person who made it apparently set up a mic and said "Shure SM58," etc. He edited it so that he would speak the name and model of the mic that was recording his voice. Then, he edited everything together in a sequence. It's a fascinating recording that demonstrates, if nothing else, that all mics are different (or seem to be, depending on your memory).

I appreciate that notion of a standard mic that everyone uses. It is a very useful and sensible idea. But, I really don't like the sound of voices in a band. It seems that I can really hear one particular frequency band over the others. This produces a mechanical sound to me that gives me the feeling that someone involved with the band doesn't care about the vocal sound too much. With so many decent and varied mics out there, I would like to hear more often mics that make the voice sound really good.

No one has really said so, yet, but do people generally think that the audience can't hear the difference between mics? Discussions of guitar tone always include comments like this.

18. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

This is why I use EV mics.

19. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Heil PR35. Haven't pulled out the 58 since I got it. Thing is though you have to match the mic to your particular voice, and take into account the application. If I were singing in a loud rock band I'd use the 58 just to cut through. And it always does a decent job in any situation, even if not a stellar job. Mostly I sing in a small band at restrained volume levels or solo. In those situations the Heil has so much more breadth, warmth, character, detail and sensitivity. Mind you, you need to be mindful of your mic technique. It's very susceptible to popping and breath sounds, but that's because of the very reasons it's so good.

My voice is a deep baritone, and the 58 doesn't pick up its full spectrum.

For a tenor in a loud rock band I'd use the 58.

One mic I used once that I loved on my voice is an AT818II (1980s competitor to the 58). Warmer than a 58, I felt right at home on it. I don't own one but plan to.

20. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

For me it's not so much about what the audience hears. It's about me. Being a front man involves a lot of ego. I want everything that I do to be represented in the best way possible. For 3-4 hours a night I am king lol!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.