1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What are vintage specs for a Jaguar pickup?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Golem, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

I'm new to the world of Jaguar pickups and after buying an American Professional, which I know doesn't have vintage spec pickups, I got curious as to what vintage specs should be? The V-Mod pickups sound great. My guess is they might be using a thinner wire to get more turns and of course that makes me wonder whether vintage Jaguar pickups were using 42 or 43 AWG. It definitely looks like there's a range where most of the aftermarket offerings sit.

2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

I did a lot of research on this subject not too long ago.

The big findings were for early jag pickups, like 62s, you had flat pole pieces with 42 awg wire.

The biggest difference between Strat and jag pickups is the coil height is slightly taller. I couldn't find much on wind number, but when I do get a chance to wind mine I'm going to shoot for 8000ish winds and see what kind of resistance I get. And then of course the jag pickups get the claw.

Golem likes this.
  3. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

You wind your own pickups? Do you use kits from Mojo Tone, Stew Mac, etc? When I was looking out of curiosity the other day it seemed they don't offer a Jaguar kit.

4. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fender® American Vintage '62 Jaguar
    Pickups: 2 Special Design American Vintage Jaguar Single- Coil Pickups (Neck & Bridge)

Fender reissued the 1962 version of the Jaguar in 1999 as part of its American Vintage Series

per Fender:

Neck pickup:
    DC Resistance: 6.7-7.2k
    Magnet Type: Alnico 2 BEV

Bridge pickup:
    DC Resistance: 6.7 – 7.2k
    Magnet Type: Alnico 2 BEV

5. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Here and there I do. I couldn't find a kit but mojotone sells everything you need individually. I got my pole pieces from Philadelphia Luthier. They have good pricing and if you need some other stuff too you can get it to justify shipping.

You just need:
    Jag flatwork
    Jag claw
    Jag cover
    Pole pieces
    Some wire

Golem likes this.
  6. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

That's the third source I couldn't remember that the small custom winder, AMI, often uses. Thank you for pointing out that they have what's needed.

7. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

My bandmate has a 67 where both pickups read 5.8k and a 69 that reads 5.5k neck and 5.1 bridge. It's been a while since I A/B'd them but the later was a little more unpleasant to the ear with it's trebly nature. I actually preferred that quality for my style.

Golem likes this.
  8. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I just snagged a set of Squier CV Jag pickups off of FB Marketplace for 50 bucks.
    After looking them over, I found the neck to have a 5.8k DCR with the standard rubber coating over the wires. The neck pickup has a 6.3k DCR with push back cloth wire.
    So, one of these pickups is a replacement pickup. Seller says they are the original pickups and he bought it new from GC.

Golem likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.