What are the most miles you've ever put on a vehicle?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RogerC, Nov 16, 2016.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

That does happen a lot.

Had a beige '69 Dart, with air and it was super immaculate inside and out except for a small crease in one door. My neighbor begged and begged and begged for it and I sold it to him for more than I had paid, after 4 years and putting 60,000 more miles on it. The guy loans it to his kid and the kid assumes the Huge Rental Truck will stop at the four way and of course it didn't. I actually went to go pay my respects to the car before it went to the dismantler. I think 5 weeks after I sold it.

++

++

Anyway, I don't mind accumulating miles on cars but I tend since then not to put my entire heart and soul into the "accomplishments" of one car. I've got 5 Saabs and I don't really worry about which one makes it to 400,000. I just wanna stay away from the rat race of buying something new for $ 40,000 and basically giving it away 4 years later, and I never wanna be buying something cheap then pouring $$$$$ into it only to give up the ghost 15 months later. The cool spot is in the middle, or can be.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    RoyBGood likes this.
  2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I know just as many that would say the opposite: "Buying a USA vehicle involves a substantial *savings* - people just don't dig below the surface to see what it is."

See what I mean? Two camps, co-existing unaware of the other...

3. boris bubbanov

I drove those things. You could expect to come back and find your car broken into, batteries stolen, wheels and tires stolen. I had friends who left their cars overnight and came back and the whole front clip was missing. T-tops? Don't get me started.

My cousins have about 6 Auroras, some of which are really in sweet condition. They picked them up at auction, all but one of them. Usually somebody had stolen it, joyrode it and left it in a Walmart parking lot in the next township. Sometimes it was about insurance payoffs and sometimes not. I hear all about the money they spend on them that other people seem to kinda "forget" about. I have lots of buddies with Crown Victorias/Mercury Gran Marquis and I get to here them lie and say they got 13 mpg when they really got 8 when I was there. I'm totally aware of them, totally. I grew up studying the monthly issue of the SAE journal when other kids my age were reading about Spot and Jane. But when you don't like the steering, or seats and know full well you couldn't drive one 1,200 miles in one stint, just gas and restroom, without falling asleep and wrecking, what is the point? If you would need to buy extenders for the brake pedal, what is the point? If you could never find spots small enough to parallel park the ones engineered to last, what is the point? The camps do know about one another. I mean, if you actually study and know cars that is.

RogerC likes this.
  4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

If you say so, lol! All I've got is 40 years and well over 1M miles travelled in vehicles, plus the anecdotes of my peers. I still say (and your response included) is the two camps have two views, that can't both be true. I sometimes believe they don't WANT to talk to each other and reconcile their views, because they may have to admit the other is correct.

Hey on another note, I'm headed to NOLA in a week - make sure I've got good weather to greet me. Peace -

5. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I have 246,000 miles on my ranger right now. Still going strong. had to rebuild the transmission at 150,000 to be honest. Besides that just normal stuff and maintenance. New a guy that basically had the same experience with a Chevy truck had the engine rebuilt after 25 years and quarter million miles.

What gets me is people will recycle a used tissue and throw away a perfectly good automobile just because it needs a wheel alignment.

6. boris bubbanov

Weather in New Orleans is always best, IMO, Thanksgiving through Easter. That's the time to be there. I just wish the concert schedules followed that pattern too.

I think, insofar as cars are concerned, this is more like mostly Fender guys and mostly Gibson guys. They can't both be correct, but they are. One product is meant for one fellow and another for the next guy supposedly but I know so many people with a Lexus and an F-150, both in the same driveway. A Fusion and a Tundra in the same garage. An S-4 Audi and a Denali. I think there was a time when people tended strongly, just FWD or just RWD but that seems to be subsiding as well.

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Bought an early '80s Honda Accord for $1200 once. Drove it another 100,000 miles, never even changed the oil. Sold it for $700.

Also put 75K miles on an old Honda 750 Four. That's a lot of miles for a motorcycle.

8. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Thought I would update this. As of today I have 412,225 miles on the same van. I'm fearful she may not go much farther, though. I'm taking it into the shop tomorrow to fix what I hope is only a coil pack. If it's anything more involved/expensive, I'm afraid it'll be time for a "new" vehicle. :(

sean79 likes this.
  9. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

My white CRV has been to the moon. My silver CRV has come back from the moon.

RogerC likes this.
  10. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Clearly, you give up too easily. :twisted:

RogerC and boris bubbanov like this.
  11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Let’s see...I got 59 years on this 2wd

Chunkocaster, RogerC and RoyBGood like this.
  12. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Currently have 212,000 miles on my Nissan...

RogerC likes this.
  13. Dismalhead

dupe

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  14. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Both wife and I commute/commuted approx 100 miles a day.

2003 Toyota RAV 4, 292,000 miles at the time we sold it in 2014 after the tranny went but it's still on the road as someone in town bought it and I see it regularly.

2002 Honda Civic, 246,000 miles at time we sold it in 2016.

For both autos never needed to do anything at all besides normal maintenance. We're now driving a 2012 Honda Civic and a 2014 Rav 4. Just can't kill 'em.

RogerC likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I clocked out one of my lowbeds trucks at a little over 500,000 but it took about eight years, since a lot of equipment can't be moved at night and on the weekends. I did plenty of deadheading on the off hours, but low bed drivers usually aren't real high milers. When I hauled LP gas, that was a different story, (they put that sleeper on there for a reason) I could rack up a lot of miles without ever leaving the state, because California is long, but not wide. Before the electronic logs, you could drive as long as you had a fresh log book and could still see to write.

RogerC, Greggorios and boris bubbanov like this.
  16. boris bubbanov

The '04 Arc has 223,000 on it now (plus a new collection of front suspension bits, new water pump and power steering pump). The '01 Aero now has 213,000 on it (all new suspension bits also). The '04 Aero now has 98,000 miles on it. And the '06 9-5 wagon now has 178,000 miles on it (new starter motor, oil pressure sensor).

The S-2000 still does not have 40,000 miles on it. But I've moved the existing rear 17" 225x45s off there and used those elsewhere (their mint date is 2015; time to use 'em up).

RogerC likes this.
  17. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Cool, Honda 750 Four, will always have a sweet spot in my heart for those bikes.:cool:

Dismalhead likes this.
  18. Dismalhead

Yeah, I just saw a photo on Facebook of a guy on one. Triggered a lot of memories. Those were great bikes.

19. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

The CRV I drive is a 2017 and has 16k on it. The only reason it is that new is the 2015 it replaced got totaled.

Some of you posting here live in cars, sympathies go out to you from me I can say!

I ride a bicycle more than I drive since retiring. Actually 20 years ago I rode the bike about the same as driving for a few years. My client base had matured into a 6 mile circle from my house. ;) My cycling was mostly a 50-60 mile circle. ;)

Greggorios likes this.
  20. boris bubbanov

Some guys did halfway honest books. I remember one Death case I handled, and the driver mostly responsible for the wreck demonstrated through his books that he had in fact not slept for many, many, many hours. I am left wondering if the horrific event created a moment of reckoning, where the surviving truck driver simply didn't have the stomach to cover up how long and hard he'd been driving. His lack of rest was not the only reason the collision happened. But had he been fresh, it appeared very likely the wreck could've been less forceful.

Toto'sDad and RogerC like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.