1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What are the good analog solidstate amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by perttime, May 7, 2014.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Yep. I'm interested in the head. I'd like to hear one through my Port City Wave OS 1x12.

2. jaytee32

jaytee32 Tele-Meister

I had one of the Randall orange stripe commander II amps. My little brother still has it. That was a great amp.

3. twangboy

twangboy TDPRI Member

American made Peavey Transtube amps, both silver and red stripe variants.
    Tech 21 Trademark 60 or 30
    Acoustic 150
    Fender London Reverb or Montreaux

czech-one-2 likes this.
  4. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

I have the Trademark 30 and it's a great amp. I understand why Tech 21 killed the Trademark 10: the 30 does the same thing and the 10" speaker is more usable. Once you get it dialed in (the website is invaluable for offering tonal suggestions), it's great. The "rockin' Fender" setting sounds great with my Strat and it sounds great getting hammered by my Green Rhino.

In fact, the T30 is so good that I've been eyeing the T60, even though I already have some perfectly good amps in my collection. :oops:

Unadan likes this.
  5. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

"analog solid state"???

Isn't that an oxymoron?

6. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Peavey XXL head did some good things for me.
    It's basically a Bandit in head form with an extra dirt channel and 3 more selectable eq flavours.

7. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

No. Solid state doesn't have to be digital. Modellers are digital.

Tube amp have circuit boards too, but they're still analog.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The op just wanted to limit the list to non-modeling SS amps.

9. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Exactly.
    There's lots of threads on the computers that shape your signal and then amplify it.
    Dumb cirquits that use transistors instead of glow bulbs were being left in the shadows.
    :lol:

10. lothar34

lothar34 Tele-Meister

I had a Trademark 10 for a while. I didn't find it inspiring, that was a while ago and my skills were less (not that they are much now). Like everyone on this forum, I'm a huge fan of the Pathfinder 15, especially through a big cab. On a lark, I recently picked up an 80s Marshall Lead 12. It sounds especially good with the higher gain dialed up and takes pedals well. I'm not comparing it to the greatest amps of all time, but it's well worth $100-200.

I wonder what those Four Force things sound like? The ads dragging it down the street or throwing it off a ladder don't really address that part.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  11. JohnSS

JohnSS Tele-Meister

I am a big SS amp fan/owner and sold my last tube amp, a great Music Man 210HD, because it was overkill and I hardly ever played it. I am a longtime Peavey player and am a fan of the Transtube as well as the pre Transtube Solo series amps. They are very versatile, good pedal platform, and the OD circuits are actually very good if you take the time to tweak the EQ for your particular guitar. I have even played good acoustic gigs through my Bandit 65 clean channel. The Transtubes actually sound very Fenderllike and I get a great cranked Princeton sound from a pair of Blazer 158s at church.

I also am a longtime Yamaha player, and gigged for many years with a G30-112 playing punk, psychedelic, and acoustic music. Still sounded great at a club gig last year; the guitarist for the opening group even made me an offer for it.

SS amps can sound amazing if a guitarist takes the time to custom tweak the EQ and pre set the various levels for any stompboxes. SS amps generally are not plug and play, though Peavey Transtubes and Roland Cube Amps come close, in my experience.

One of the cleanest superloud amps I have ever played is the H&K Warp 7. Without gain and with volume cranked up past 6, it is like an earsplitting hi-fi system. Although it is best known for 7 string and dropped tuning guitar playing, the Warp 7 achieved a great blues slide sound with the gain cranked and EQ'd to match my les paul Jr.

Tech 21 TM series, Acoustic Control, Orange Crush, Vox, and Kustom all have excellent SS amps as well.

12. RunPickle

RunPickle TDPRI Member

Has anyone said a 70's Kustom yet. Can't beat the tuck and roll sparkle coverings and they sound awesome. I have a K50(25W) with a Celestion G12H anniversary in it and it is so so sweet.

13. RunPickle

RunPickle TDPRI Member

Well damn. The guy right above me said Kustom. Lemme narrow it down to vintage Kustoms. Haha

14. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

I just heard about these "Hotone Nano Legacy" 5 watt amp "heads". Seems like they could be quite usable for home or other places where you don't need lots of volume: There's 1 model for bass, and guitar models that are supposed to mimic Plexi Marshall, Vox, and Mesa Boogie Rectifier.

Apparently, they humm if you crank everything. Does anybody know more?

15. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Did anybody else ever have a Teisco solidstate amp?

I think mine was from early 80s. 30W probably. I recall it sounded pretty OK - but I was dumb enough to trade it for something that sounded worse....

16. rpkin

rpkin TDPRI Member

Quilter

I've got the Aviator 8, and just got the cabinet to house the amp as a head. I run it with an Eminence Cannabis Rex 12" for a fuller sound, but the sound with just the 8" is amazing ... you wouldn't guess such a small speaker could sound that good. The rest of the Quilter line looks pretty interesting, also.

17. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

best solid state amp hands down (in my opinion): yamaha g100

been jealous of my friend's g100-115 for years... just snagged the 2x12 version for $40 the other day. $40 for a 100 watt 2x12?! come on!

as others have mentioned, the bandits are great. some of the higher-wattage frontman series are pretty killer too

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Damn, those Yammies are JC-killers. I wonder why they haven't faired better.

19. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

They were pricey when new. Around the same price as an actual Fender Twin. At that price, I'd probably just get the Twin. In the used market, they're a steal, but my amp tech tells me that no one makes the push pull pots that come in those anymore... Means they will gradually become expensive to maintain as well.

I have a G100-115ii I use for pedal steel and for jazz. Great amps, IMHO.

20. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

the push-pull pots are a bit of a turn off for me. i'll be happy to swap them out with standard pots when the time comes (the bright and fat positions don't do anything for me anyways)... but i'm in no rush.

another reason they haven't gained much popularity is that they're damn near as heavy as the twin! 60-65 lbs from what i've gathered online. i'm actually in the process of breaking mine down into a princeton-sized cabinet. if i want to haul all that around, i'll just bring out the old tube amps :D

but for the money they go for these days, they're an absolute steal! slap a quilter logo on these things and people would shell out $1k on them without blinking.

and did you HEAR those cleans?! :eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.